• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Corn Chips

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm just wondering if it's okay for a cockatiel to have a nibble on Corn Chips? My cockatiels go crazy for CornChips, other Crisp and popcorn

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
All three of my dudes love corn tortilla chips. I get the organic lightly salted ones from Costco and feed them veeeeery sparingly!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's the salt your bird is craving which isn't very good for them.

When you feed stuff like that what you're doing is "perverting" your bird's appetite to the much blander diet that is good for them. Your kids are not going to eat their broccoli if you feed too much candy.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Just like kids : ) I have to plead guilty to slipping my tiels popcorn once and a while. I do think that corn chips are a little on the salty side though and if you do slip something like that it doesn't become an every day or every week thing.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are going to give a little piece of corn chip best to stick with unsalted ones.

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I give it to them very rare. I have no kids at my house. When I feel like a snack that when I have Corn Chips. I sometimes don't let my cockatiel have some every thought they are crying for some

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I have a male cockatiel that was fed a lot of Doritos, he has seen my avian vet. he has liver and kidney problems from being fed human junk food. I do give my tiels popcorn but it is air popped with no salt or butter on it. and its maybe 2 to 3 pieces a month.

Last edited:

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I give mine a sprinkle of rice krispies when I eat chips :) Then we both get a crunchy treat!

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
You should make your own tortilla chips! Take corn tortillas, slice them up and bake them in the oven (no need for oil). That way you can keep them salt free and oil free - much better for them, yet they still get a crunchy treat :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
You should make your own tortilla chips! Take corn tortillas, slice them up and bake them in the oven (no need for oil). That way you can keep them salt free and oil free - much better for them, yet they still get a crunchy treat :)
Sounds like something I can eat myself.
Is there a good recipe for a birdie salsa? I know no guacamole...

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Sounds like something I can eat myself.
Is there a good recipe for a birdie salsa? I know no guacamole...
Here is a 'recipe' for the chips: How to Make Oil-Free Baked Corn Chips (Healthy Corn Chips Recipe), Plus VIDEO | Happy Herbivore

For a salsa, I would avoid using anything with garlic, onions, or raw tomatoes for them.

I think a fun idea for a dip (if you really want to offer them one) could be something like this: Spicy Sweet Potato Hummus Recipe - I'd just reduce the oil and salt for them and remove the garlic.