• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Copper

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
My grey likes to climb around on our camp chairs, Those are his favorite, Well i don't know how but he managed to grab our TV remote and pull out one of the spring that holds the batteries in, Are these made of copper? If they are is he in danger? I don't think he ingested any of it but is it still dangerous? Please, i am very worried!

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
99.9% likely aluminum

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@theocnoob It turns out i was wrong about where it came from, The remote is in tact so I'm not sure where he got it from, Someone i know said it was probably brass which is scaring me because it is apparently toxic. What should i do? What if it is brass?

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
@theocnoob It turns out i was wrong about where it came from, The remote is in tact so I'm not sure where he got it from, Someone i know said it was probably brass which is scaring me because it is apparently toxic. What should i do? What if it is brass?
Did he swallow any? If he didn't swallow any I would just give him lots of water or watery stuff (does he like juice) to dillute his crop and gut contents and he should be fine. I've never had a potential bird poisoning though.

You should probably call your vet, or if there is an animal poison control number where you are, call that.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
@theocnoob Thank you! I will do that,
Try not to panic. See if you can figure out what the spring is and where it came from and what metal it is, and talk to some professionals about it.

Make very sure he didn't swallow any. If he did you need to rush him to the vet for emergency surgery. He can't pass something like that safely (or probably at all).

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@theocnoob Im pretty sure he hasn't swallowed any, I've been looking but i still can't find where it came from

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How long did he have it. Unless he swallowed it he's going to be fine. They need to "ingest" the metal for it to cause immediate problems. Chewing on toxic metal would take weeks/months to cause a problem without actually chipping a piece off and swallowing it. 5 minutes is a non issue IMO.