• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cooper's Thread of Progress and Mischief (WIP)

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I've been told several times that starting a "training journal" would be a good way to document all of his misbehaviors and try to retrain them when I know exactly what is causing them. So here's Cooper's training thread, and I hope having two separate journals (one here and one on my blog) will double the success rate!

All of the Threads Already About Cooper Are Here:
Cooper's Entire Story
Behavior Retraining Advice
A Comment About Cooper's Wacky Eating Behavior
A Thread About Possible Cage Aggression

Background Information: Cooper is a seven year old green cheek conure that I adopted off craigslist. (If you want to read the whole story it's the first link above.) All in all, he was in a subpar situation for far too long and developed some bad habits.
The things we need to work on are (1) not screaming to get attention, (2) not biting, (3) learning how to self-entertain, (4) target training, (5) station training, and (6) learning to play with toys.
I'll be updating this thread regularly as we either backslide or make progress, and I hope to make tons of progress in the next year.
Wish us luck!

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
10 January 2017 I got home from class today around 12:50 and when I walked in there wasn't any screaming! I came up to my room and Cooper was making soft, kissy-noises and little coos. I made kissy noises back at him and that's where some of the louder noises happened but he's mostly making kissy noises! I can't believe it - it might be a fluke to have progress already but it feels like a miracle!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
10 January 2017 I got home from class today around 12:50 and when I walked in there wasn't any screaming! I came up to my room and Cooper was making soft, kissy-noises and little coos. I made kissy noises back at him and that's where some of the louder noises happened but he's mostly making kissy noises! I can't believe it - it might be a fluke to have progress already but it feels like a miracle!
:bliss::yahoo:

Use that sound when he's quiet & playing w toys or doing anything good.:yahoo:

Hope he gets the idea. Usually it takes a while but maybe you got lucky.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It will be great to hear about Cooper's progress!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We both have "Cooper" threads. I really like your idea and look forward to reading your entries.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I hope I got lucky!
Sometimes, you need to "capture" a behavior and then shape it into desired behavior!

An example of "capturing" a behavior is teaching a bird to do "big eagle." You can start the training by rewarding the bird each time they stretch their wings backwards, then shape it to stretching and opening their wings.

If you see a behavior that you like that he does, definitely reward it! :)

I can't wait to hear more about Cooper's progress! Just know that there may be days where there could be set backs, but don't let those get you discouraged!

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
@Monica I use the clicker I clicker trained the budgies with to train Cooper. I've already established a "bridge" and now whenever he does something desirable I give it two clicks and I vary the reward. It's working well so far I think.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
@Monica I use the clicker I clicker trained the budgies with to train Cooper. I've already established a "bridge" and now whenever he does something desirable I give it two clicks and I vary the reward. It's working well so far I think.
That is cool! Lot's of people like to use clickers. If you happen to find a clicker inconvenient a bridge word works just as well. I use the word "good" as a bridge. Good going :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
13 January 2017 I've been trying to reward him not screaming, and it seems to be working. Though sometimes he back tracks and screams anyway.
I also picked up a new cage for him and he didn't have a problem switching from the cage that came with him. So I think that disproves cage aggression? He's also like 0.2% nicer to me in this cage, and I think that's because it's so big? There isn't much else going on besides that. I'll keep everyone posted on how his Scream Training and Station Training go!

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
16 January 2017 Cooper has made some leaps and bounds! Although we're still working on not screaming profusely every time I leave the room or when I'm home but not in my bedroom near him, I've noticed that he's gotten better at not biting. For almost an entire game of Life last night, he sat on my shoulder listening and being around the family and I didn't get bitten once, and when he sits on my computer desk or keyboard, I have to get super close to get the threat of being bitten. I hope he continues to calm down significantly and stops biting altogether.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think distractions may keep our birds from biting. I know it does with my Cooper.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
19 May 2017 It's been FOREVER since I updated this thread and had to dig to find it!
Just so everyone knows Cooper is doing fantastic and his cute little personality grows more each day!
Moving was stressful but I think he's adjusting, and he was only lost for a few hours a couple weeks ago with no injuries.

I wanted to tell a funny story about him actually and that's why I found this thread again!
I have a side-table next to my bed in my new apartment, and Cooper has become fascinated with drawers! He'll look over the edge and look back to me and then look over the edge. Of course I'll open the drawer and he'll climb down onto it and check out whatever's inside (while I'm watching so he doesn't accidentally eat a pen or anything), and then climb inside the drawer and click, whistle, and tap for hours. It's really weird and funny, and it cracks me up every time. I can always hear him talking to himself while he's in the drawer, lol.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd say that's typical conure behavior! LOL :D

Just have to be careful as it could potentially lead to hormonal behaviors, thus possibly aggression....