• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cooper the GCC, and His Horror Story

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I decided to move everything Cooper-related to a new thread, because I didn't want people getting confused about what kind of bird I brought home.
Let's recap all of the events that led up to me going and getting Cooper tonight from a woman who lives in Denver. (I've ordered them chronologically by number, to make everything easier on myself (and everyone just hearing about this now), because this has honestly been crazy and stressful, and I came out of it so angry for most of the night.)

1 - I've always wanted a conure. At first I thought "I like sun conures!" then I decided on a GCC thinking that would be a better place to start noise-wise.
2 - *Que me looking around on craigslist for about a week. Then moving to the Gabriel Foundation in Colorado. Then back to Craigslist.*
3 - I find (who I believed to be a man) on craigslist rehoming their conure Cooper because they just didn't have the time for him, and wanted him to get the care/attention he deserves.
4 - I jump on it.
5 - We begin texting back and forth. I found out this person's name is Brooke and she's a woman (oops). She has a 7 year old, GCC named Cooper who used to be very tame/snuggly before they "just didn't have the time anymore" (i.e. got bored and moved on to something else - her horses).
6 - I think "Wow this is great! I'd like to adopt him the 1st of December!"
7 - I promise to stay in touch, but I know she's going to quit responding before I do.
8 - I begin stockpiling toys, information, and excitement in preparation for bringing this bird home.
9 - LAST NIGHT - RIGHT BEFORE I'M SUPPOSED TO BRING COOPER HOME - she texts and says "Here's my address, and I'm out of food so you'll have to go buy some." I ask what kind. SHE SENDS ME A PICTURE OF COCKATIEL SEED FOOD.
10 - I'm so embarrassed for her. Obviously she had no idea what she was doing but I go along with it, knowing that I'd never buy the incorrect food for a bird. We chat more about what he likes and doesn't like.
11 - Dad and I drive up to Denver with $250 in our pocket for this bird.
12 - The whole way I'm a little mad about the food situation, but think "Hey, she's nice. She maybe just doesn't know about nutrition."
13 - We find her apartment and she lets us inside. Immediately I'm blasted by cigarette smoke and I'm PISSED. My dad could tell how visibly angry I am.
14 - This woman walks us to her BEDROOM. (So the bird wasn't socialized anymore because he'd been moved to a new spot in the house wherein he has minimal contact with people. Great.)
15 - Let's talk about Cooper himself. He appears healthy, bright plumage, and clear eyes, etc. I was distraught at the state of his nails. They kept getting caught on everything and getting him into the travel cage was a nightmare. (I knew for a fact he'd not eaten today because she texted me LAST NIGHT and told me she was out of food. So there's that. He'd also been deprived of water - at least for the last couple of hours, and although I know I told her what time I'd be there, there were no dishes or anything in his cage.)
16 - HIS CAGE. It's an outdated, tall, standalone white cage. It has three "dishholders" that no longer harbor any of the correct dishes. (Those dishes were so disgusting that I just threw them away as soon as I could.) It has rust-spots and weeks of droppings covering the grate, and old dried food stuck to the bars. This woman hadn't bothered to clean the thing in awhile obviously.
17 - There were three bedraggled, sun-bleached toys in the cage that didn't look like they'd been touched much, and were also immediately thrown out because they were also covered in poop.
18 - He tries to refuse stepping up on her towel-covered hand (because he bites). But immediately steps up on me and begins studying me. (She says that's never happened before, normally he doesn't want anything to do with new people, so that made me happy.)
19 - We paid her and got the heck out. I couldn't stand the condition he'd been living in for heaven knows how long. (After he was standing on me she explained that this had been a two-year process of finding him a new home.)

It took me an hour and a half to partially clean the cage. I decided I'd get the big stuff off and clean up the edges, but in the next two/three paychecks (probably around the first of the year), he's getting an entirely new cage. I'm appalled at how little he was cared for, and that she "forgot" to mention that she smoked around him. When I can I'm going to get him into the vet to get his nails trimmed (fingers crossed for tomorrow), and after that for a basic examination and THEN for blood-work.
I'm glad he's at home with me in his new decked-out cage. (I'll post pictures tomorrow, because he's sleeping right now.)
But because of the 7 years of smoking he has a croaky little voice that I pray isn't permanent. (But if it is that's totally fine because it's kind of growing on me.)

EDIT: On the car-ride home my dad and I decided his birthday. I know he's 7, so he was hatched in 2009, but I don't know the exact date so I decided to make one up.
His name is Cooper, so we thought "barrel-makers" like famous ones in early American history. Then when we couldn't find anything there, we thought of coffin makers because they're sometimes called coopers. Well there was a man in the 1800s named Almund something and he introduced the first cast-iron casket. We picked his birthday March 7, to use as Cooper's hatchday.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad Cooper found a good home. Poor guy. So many birds live in substandard conditions.

I'm glad he seems to have taken a liking to you.

Good cockatiel seed is not much different than conure but you'll want to get him to eat pellets too & give him veggies & fruits.

Hope he checks out OK at the vet. Smoke is not good for anyones lungs esp birds.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am going to start with lucky Cooper. He is going to live the good life with you. Someone who is caring and conscientious.

But I am so sorry he had to go through Years of crap to find you.

Welcome to AA Cooper. You have just been adopted into the biggest extended family in the world. And Auntie Elaine says I know you are one of the most precious birdies in the world.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Welcome Cooper to the rest of your much much better life
Yay Reggie, I look forward to hearing about you and Cooper!

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Way to go getting Cooper OUT of those awful conditions. Let us know how the trimming and vet check goes :) Can't wait for the pictures!!!! :D

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks Reggie for taking in this poor little soul - may you have many happy years together.

That's the way we do it - we save them one bird at a time.

Ecogirl2206

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Andrea
Yeah! Cheekies are the BEST and definitely a GREAT choice as a first parrot in both temperament and noise. Mine CAN be quite loud but the contact calls are generally only when she's upset and don't last very long:) I've also found her to be extremely ...resilient....even with poor prior living experiences she has truly become a lovely bird with good food, patience, and understanding.

High quality Cockatiel seed is NOT a bad seed for a cheeky. While transitioning mine to a pellet-based diet (took 6 months and finally the only approach that worked was the cold turkey one unfortunately) I use
Volkman Seed Avian Science Super Cockatiel No Sunflower. (sorry don't know how to change font size LOL) IMO its very high quality and an excellent seed to use as a treat and in the beginning to help with the transition to pellet. If yours was used to seed, this is what I would get. $9 on Amazon. For pellets I had no luck getting mine to eat Harrisons (which many consider a GREAT pellet). She will eat roudybush crumbles size but what really got her to start on pellets are the least fantastic died and flavored Zupreem fruit blend flavor (medium birds- cockatiel on the front). Some pellet is better than none though!

best of luck. Patience. I've had my darling 6 months and we're still making leaps and bounds of progress :D

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Thank you for getting him out of there. :hug8:
What a lucky boy he is to have found such a great home. I'm sure with time, love and care he'll come around, too

I hope his vet appointment goes well and that you both can have many wonderful years together. Cheekies are a joy to live with. :)
Also, I can't wait to see more pictures! :D

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
higgins in tune is better than Zupreem fruit pellets as its naturally colored & has more ingredients & higgins seed mix is hi quality too.

Dr Fosters carries it & has free shipping sometimes at $19

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so happy Cooper found a good home with you. :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Congrats on your new lil friend I hope everything goes well when you take him to the vet ...poor lil guy living like that ...Im sure he will do well with you :D

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
That is wonderful that Cooper is getting a good forever home.
Will he be getting a vet check up soon because of the nicotine exposure?
Your pops is a great father!

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
"Good cockatiel seed is not much different than conure but you'll want to get him to eat pellets too & give him veggies & fruits." @camelotshadow
I actually had no idea, and I was under the impression (for many reasons) that she didn't know what she was doing care-wise.

@zoo mom I was thinking about that last night while typing this. I'm glad it ended up with me, but I'm a little sad and how sub-par his treatment has been. :shakehead:
@MommyBird With the way he's been this morning, there are going to be awesome stories for many years to come! :loveshower: He's definitely got the correct personality for a cheekie haha
@Lo_ Pictures are coming after school, when I can interact with him a little more. (I think I'm more excited to post them than you guys are to see them! :laughin:) I'll definitely let everyone know! I'm going to take him in to the vet this afternoon, and see if they accept walk-ins. I'm just kind of concerned about her getting bit. (I got bit last night when I took him out of his travel cage and it broke skin, lol.)

@Hankmacaw I am too, and I like to feel like I'm making a difference - even if it is just one bird.
@Ecogirl2206 I was thinking about getting the Zupreem Fruit-blend when I get paid this afternoon. It was awesome for transitioning my budgies to pellets, and I want to see if it works just as well for cheekies! :cheer:

@Sylvi_ Thank you! I've been so happy since I brought him home. Maybe cheekies are just made of sunshine? :laughin::hehepink:

@Tyrion Thank you! I hope he starts to enjoy my company in his own time. In the meantime, I've begun "Pavlov"ing him into loving me by giving him a grape every time I come in the room. (Today he was especially excited to see me, haha.)

@WendyN As soon as I can get him in yes, and definitely! He knows it is the problem, haha.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Last edited:

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Thank you so much for the recommendation! I'll look into it!

@ Everyone in this thread: if you own a conure, what cage do you have? Where did you get it? What is it made of? What color is it? How much was it?
I need ideas, because I don't want to spend more than I have to for a good product.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I have the HQ flight cage and Ollie loves it. There is plenty of room for a bunch of toys and lots of room for him to play in it. I have it in black. I paid close to $300 for mine but I'm pretty sure from most places including Amazon it's only around $150 (I got mine from the local bird store so it was more expensive).
Here is a link to the one that I have. https://smile.amazon.com/Flight-Mul...qid=1480732229&sr=8-2&keywords=hq+flight+cage

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking Cooper into your home. My Dusky conure, Jaden, gets a combination of cockatiel seed and hookbill seed. He generally throws most of the hookbill out and eats the smaller cockatiel seed. However he does like the corn kibble and papaya that come mixed in the hookbill.
Jaden is in an Avian Adventures Loro flight cage. I got it at a very good price, below $200 with a discount code. The price of it has climbed and I haven't seen it for less than $300-400 lately.
Amazon.com : Avian Adventures Loro Flight Cage, White : Birdcages : Pet Supplies

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I have some smaller no name cages and a petco mink brown cage.

It's pretty large and spacious. The birds enjoy it.

One drawback is that mine came with scratched paint. Luckily it was only on the pullout trays so I can cover it with newspaper.
It also doesn't fit through the average sized doorway :/
Other than that it's a great cage.

---Edited to add that it's called You and Me parrot cage now. It also happens to be on sale for $180 right now. Such a steal considering I paid over $200