• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cookware Problem

KAN450

Checking out the neighborhood
I use a ceramic coated, carbon steel cookie sheet. It was sitting on my stove and I turned on the wrong burner like an idiot. It charred a circle on the pan and it was smoking a bit. I removed my bird from the area and turned on all fans and opened windows.

Is something like this dangerous like Teflon? I’m freaking out and don’t know what to do.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Airing the place out well and moving your bird to a room that is not affected should hopefully stop any ill effects from the smoke. Any smoke is dangerous for our birds so it’s great that you got the bird moved quickly and aired the place out.

I’m not sure how safe the burnt item will be to use in the future though as I am not actually familiar with any of the ceramic cooking items. I personally just use SS for cooking so I’m not as familiar with ceramic as some other members will be.

KAN450

Checking out the neighborhood
Airing the place out well and moving your bird to a room that is not affected should hopefully stop any ill effects from the smoke. Any smoke is dangerous for our birds so it’s great that you got the bird moved quickly and aired the place out.

I’m not sure how safe the burnt item will be to use in the future though as I am not actually familiar with any of the ceramic cooking items. I personally just use SS for cooking so I’m not as familiar with ceramic as some other members will be.
Thank you for your prompt reply! There was very little smoke and I moved her immediately so I don’t believe that the smoke will be an issue thankfully.

I had no intention of reusing the pan, either. It’s headed to the trash.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It should not be dangerous like Teflon, but as others mentioned, the smoke can still cause irritation. Sounds like you reacted well.