• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure's first day home! Just some questions

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Adopted a beautiful green cheek conure from a lady who needed to rehome him. He takes treats from my hand no problem and was even dancing to some music in his cage. I have not let him out yet as it's his first day and don't want to have to try and catch him if he flies on top of fridge or something. I'm sure that would not help him like me. I'll probably leave him in his cage for a few days so he can get used to routine. He's in the living room so he can be around me as I come and go or sit on the couch.
But he keeps craning his neck to look at me, does a little bouncy bobbing motion like bird dancing and makes chirping noises. What do you think he wants? Is he just doing bird things?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Green cheeks have some body language that is separated by a fine line lol. Head bobbing with froggy/ducky noises or chirping is a happy thing :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Sounds like he is showing off for you and he has a lot of personality. A happy bird, IMO.
Post some photos when you get a chance and if the camera doesn't stress him out.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Thanks everyone! I am super stoked for the future with him. I will post a pic, got one of him so far.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
now he's screaming at me and bobbing. If i go to the cage he runs up to me. I'm telling him I don't understand your language yet...lol.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Haha I do want to! I'm just worried about having to catch him and making him distrust me on the first day.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
You could just let him out and close the door, and make sure you don't have to leave the room anytime soon so you can slowly get him back in cage if needed. ^^; Treats are handy here. If he's running up to you it's probably a good thing... unless he wants to EAT you. 8D... lol

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I let him out for a bit! He immediately came out and hopped around the top of his cage He kept showing me his tail feathers but still followed me when I moved to the other side of his cage. I gave him some treats and let him follow me around the cage for a bit. Then back in. I'll let him out more tomorrow for sure

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He sounds so full of personality, and I’m glad this first outing went well!

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
Awww! Zazu does a little birdy dance when he wants out of his cage. He will go from one side to the other. Tail feathers spread and bobbing his head. I ask him if he wants to come out and he just stops and looks at me. I'll take this dance over screaming 100%

Congrats on the new birdy! Go at his pace..if he giving you signs of he wants to come out.. let him. I also worry week by week as Zazu is getting better at flying if one day he will fly UP instead of down and how the heck I'll get to him. But for the most part Zazu doesng really explore. He goes to me and to his cage. Only time he ventured off is if I leave the room while hes on top if the cage. Then hes on a super important birdy mission to find me

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Awww! Zazu does a little birdy dance when he wants out of his cage. He will go from one side to the other. Tail feathers spread and bobbing his head. I ask him if he wants to come out and he just stops and looks at me. I'll take this dance over screaming 100%

Congrats on the new birdy! Go at his pace..if he giving you signs of he wants to come out.. let him. I also worry week by week as Zazu is getting better at flying if one day he will fly UP instead of down and how the heck I'll get to him. But for the most part Zazu doesng really explore. He goes to me and to his cage. Only time he ventured off is if I leave the room while hes on top if the cage. Then hes on a super important birdy mission to find me
Haha your guy sounds so cute. He gets lots of out of cage time more and only flies to get to me if I don't go over to him quickly enough. Definitely learning a lot. Petting of out at the moment but hoping soon lol