• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conures Dislocated "knee"

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Yesterday my poor conure had a rough landing on a window sill. We took her to the vet immediately and it turns out she dislocated her knee. She had to be put under and have it set back in place. She is now in a splint that makes walking for her impossible because her dislocation was so high up on her leg she holds it out at a 90 degree angle. We are going back to the vet in a week for a new splint in a more natural position.

The vet recommends that she stay in her plastic container that she is currently in so she cannot climb.
Right now i have no perches in there just a towel as she's very topsy turvey at the moment as she figures out how to maneuver herself.

Is there anything you guys can recommend that i can do to make her more comfortable/ easier to get around?

Im 2 hours from home at the moment as i live in a small town and there are no avian vets anywhere near me. When i get home i plan on placing her heat lamp near her so she has some warmth during her recovery.

Anything else i should do?

Thank you

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouch. Sorry she got injured and hope that she heals quickly. Do you have any platform type perches and do you think she would hop up on one? You could put one or two of those in the container depending on the size of the platforms and the container. You can wrap the platform with vet wrap to make it more comfortable.

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
I just put a piece of cork in there so she's got something hard to grip onto :thanks:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Omg! Poor baby! She looks so sad right now. Hope she's back on her feet soon!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
WOW! What a catastrophe! Sounds like and looks like you've got it covered nicely. A soft towel or blanket is best. Keep her confined so she doesn't hurt herself. Keep and eye on her to make sure she doesn't get a toenail caught in the cloth.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Poor little birb. I hope she has a speedy and safe recovery. :hug8:

Kodigirl210

I would think a heat lamp would be warm but it would also make the conditions very dry and basically heat up the whole tub.

So might you consider putting a heating pad under one-half of the container? This way if she gets too warm she can move to the cooler side.

Wishing your birb a swift recovery!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may want to get some non-pilling fleece. It's soft and not stringy like some towels are. If you decide to purchase some fleece wash it first.

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Thanks all!

I have an update. She is in a lighter cast now for another 4 weeks!!
The vet says there is a very high chance of this happening again, since she tore the ligaments and it will never be the same :( Ice is a very skittish bird, and is quite wild when she flies. It’s full speed in any direction and no control freak out at anything scary. so she recommended never taking her out of the cage again or keeping her wings clipped forever.

This breaks my heart as I don’t want either of these options for her. I guess I’ll have to clip her wings, but even in the past when I’ve done this she still flies and crash lands, which I’m worried will hurt her leg again.

I just don’t know what to do

The vet says I need to train her to learn she can’t fly with clipped wings, how do I do this?

Thanks

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh poor little girl. I am so sorry she lost her flight. Hearts out for you two. :sad10:

I don't know the best approach to training. I am normally working with birds in the other direction, teaching them they have wings. I would do you best to create a lot of alternative exercise options for her when she can walk around better again.

Some of these ideas might help you out.