• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure

puz

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Hi. Hope im on the right board to ask a question. Im new to all this.

I have 2 yellow sided conures that have bonded. One is my daughter in laws. Right now we live in the same house. The birds are pretty much together all the time. Im really considering letting my Zazoo go with his sister.

My question is. If i want 2 conures again instead of 1, is it best to get them at the same time from the same breeder? This is what we did with the 2 that i have right now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also. Advise on whether i should just keep 1.

Thank You

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome to the avenue! I would get two, birds are social animals and I think they benefit a lot from a friend of the same species. But if you put two adult birds together, it is a gamble to wether they will get along or not. Though even if you have two birds that are siblings, they could also decide to not like each other when they mature sexually. I think your best bet it either getting two babies that seem to be getting along very well, or adopt two from a rescue that already get along.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, you might consider looking at a rescue or just people rehoming birds on craigslist. There are plenty of people who get two pets that bond with each other and don't have the heart to separate them. Fewer people want to adopt two birds together so if a bonded pair needs a new home, it can be hard to keep them together. So you might be able to really help out two birds that need a new home.
But, definitely be sure to interact with them and make sure they are tame and friendly before adopting. A bonded pair have each other for companionship, so if they aren't already tame before they bond, or if they have been mistreated, it can be harder to get them to like people.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, you might consider looking at a rescue or just people rehoming birds on craigslist. There are plenty of people who get two pets that bond with each other and don't have the heart to separate them. Fewer people want to adopt two birds together so if a bonded pair needs a new home, it can be hard to keep them together. So you might be able to really help out two birds that need a new home.
But, definitely be sure to interact with them and make sure they are tame and friendly before adopting. A bonded pair have each other for companionship, so if they aren't already tame before they bond, or if they have been mistreated, it can be harder to get them to like people.
^^^this...although I refuse to break a bonded pair of my fosters unless I know that they are gravitating towards human companionship and the adoptee has another cheekie there... But I have had several of my fosters for over two years now. Most people want a single bird.