• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Training.

DavyG

Strolling the yard
I've had my bird for a little over a week now. He is fine with being held, but wont come to me. Today, he bit me and it felt like he was trying to cause pain, but is to small (6 months old). I wont to work on training him to he will at least come to me and not bite well as much as that is possible with a bird ; )

Last edited:

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Were you trying to take him out of his cage when he bit you? Some birds will be aggressive and territorial around their cage, even with people they know/ like. I just open the door and my GCC climbs out on his own. He'll sometimes nip at me if I'm trying to do something in his cage.

Also consider that 6 months is very young still and from what I've read many birds will be nippy until about a year old (keep in mind every bird is different). Also a week isn't much time for a bird to settle into a new environment. Was he hand raised? If he wasn't hand raised you'll want to give him a lot more time to get settled and get used to you.

Or you may have just caught him in a grumpy mood. My GCC will bite if I don't pay close enough attention to his body language and he doesn't want to be touched. I know he's always cranky right after he comes out of his cage so I expect his little bites and after a few seconds he gets over it and is fine.

It's also important that you try to figure out why he's biting you so you can react accordingly. If he seems scared then give him more time to get used to you before trying to touch him much.

Best of luck and congrats on your new baby!

DavyG

Strolling the yard
I'm assuming a grumpy mood. He was hand raised and seemed to get settled (to his new cage at least) pretty fast.

I am more worried about what I should do as far as discouraging bad behavior and encouraging good behavior.

What exactly happened.

I recent put together a type of bird play pen consisting of perches, ladder and swing. I placed him on it and let do what he wants until it was time to place him back in his cage. At that point, I had to chase him a little to get on my hand. He looked at me like I was stupid and bit my finger nail, before moving to gnaw on my finger.

What should I do in cases like this? What I did was say "no" in a firm fashion and took him to his cage. Normally, I would let him play on the cage for a few minutes, but this time I simply placed him inside.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
It's not a good idea to put a bird back in its cage after it's done something bad as it will see the cage as a bad thing.

My gccs can be nippy too, one simply needs the 'no biting' in a firm tone, he now doesn't bite at all really. He Theo there needs 'no biting,' in a firm tone while looking directly at her and then taking her off me (not always spot) and walking away.

Giving the toys, training and food means that their beak is busy and can't bite you.

I've taught my guys step up, step down, wave, spin, bow, and now we are doing coming on command. They're e 7months.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I would definitely let him settle in a bit as his behavior is typical for a young bird! At this stage, lots of patience, praise for doing the right things, training and spending quality time together! Avoid the bites if you can and try to give him a reason to go where you would like him to go or do! Simply expecting him to do what you want is not a win win situation! Plenty of great info here on this site! Welcome!

DavyG

Strolling the yard
it will see the cage as a bad thing.
My mind went "deny him play time outside" I never considered he could associate his cage with a bad thing. I'm still working out what he likes to use as treats. At the moment sunflower seeds and apple slivers seem to be the best option, but he wont follow them if that makes any sense.

DavyG

Strolling the yard
Any solid youtube guides out there?

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
My mind went "deny him play time outside" I never considered he could associate his cage with a bad thing. I'm still working out what he likes to use as treats. At the moment sunflower seeds and apple slivers seem to be the best option, but he wont follow them if that makes any sense.
Yeah it's strange and cool how birds perceive things.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My GCC also gets cranky when it's bed time/ time to go in his cage. If I need to put him in his cage and it's not bed time I hide treats all over his cage and I think he likes it. It keeps him busy while he's in there and gives him a reason to want to go in. I mostly use dried fruits and veggies and he loves all kinds of nuts so I only use them once in a while as something special. Rotate his toys often and make his cage someplace fun and interesting.

I try not to bribe him with treats to step up but sometimes I have to. He'll do anything for a dried apple or banana. I'm lucky that when I ask for a step up he doesn't usually bite, instead he looks as adorable as possible and smushes his head into my hand for scratches. He knows it always works lol maybe try giving him some scratches before putting him in.

Routine is also great for birds. Have a routine so that he knows when you start doing a specific action he'll be going in his cage soon. My GCC knows it's cage time when I put his treats in his cage and he knows it's bedtime when I start getting my sneakers on for work. It's helpful if they know what's going on instead of having you just come along, scoop him up, and put him in his cage.

You should also practice step up with him and then put him back on his play area instead of in his cage, then he won't always associate step up with going in his cage and he'll be more likely to step up when asked.

Reactions: Jas

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
When I'm going to put my gcc in her cage I take her with me or let her see me get a sunflower seed. Then she goes eagerly into cage because she knows she will get her seed. If I have to get her off something she doesn't want to leave,like her play station, I always let her see me get a seed and she will willingly step up without protesting.

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I would definitely recommend getting Nutri-berries, you can get them on amazon or at your local pet shop they are amazing for training as they are mostly pellets and most birds love them. Then I would recommend doing check point training while in the cage to begin with, here is a great video for that:
that's what I did with my guy and it worked wonderfully and will help him come when you call him. Also, I wouldn't just try to get your baby to step up so soon without positive reinforcement, have a treat in one hand and lure him to step up and praise and treat him when he does, this builds trust. When he bites you and it isn't the tiny bite to make sure your finger is stable before he steps up but a mad bite where he is backed up, butt up and aggressively coming at you first BACK off, read his body language and respect it. Walk away, grab a treat, and try again in 30 seconds. If he does manage to clamp down on you, push gently into his beak, don't pull away or freak out, pushing into the beak (again, gently), they have to release because you knock them off balance a little bit, it's worked wonders with my guy. Eventually you'll work up to a place of trust where you can let him nibble your fingers and hands and let him preen your fingernails and know that he won't hurt you, and you can reinforce that by saying "good boy, gentle, nice, good boy" as he does it. I would also recommend to never let him nibble your ears or face/lips, even though it is cute everything you let them do you are training them to do, and even when they are gently preening you they don't understand how hard is too hard and will bite down pretty hard thinking they are just cleaning you.

DavyG

Strolling the yard
So, I mad a break through recently, if you want to call it that. If I offer my bird a sunflower seed while asking for him to step up, he bites the piss out of me. I combat this by closing my hand into a fist and saying no. Now, if I offer an apple sliver he does anything I want....

DavyG

Strolling the yard
I butt up and aggressively coming at you first BACK off
There is no obvious signs of aggression. His bits seemed tied to what treat I am offering. A sunflower seed equals a bite. An apple equals stepping up and down like a champ. Even let me place him back in his cage this time instead of doing it himself.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Understanding what motivates your bird is key to helping reward positive behavior :D

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So, I mad a break through recently, if you want to call it that. If I offer my bird a sunflower seed while asking for him to step up, he bites the piss out of me. I combat this by closing my hand into a fist and saying no. Now, if I offer an apple sliver he does anything I want....
I also do the fist method with my bird. He always throws a little tantrum right after I let him out of his cage. I expect him to nip at me when I first go to scratch him so I make a fist and let him have his tantrum. By making a fist he can't really pinch my skin. He doesn't bite me hard but it's definitely an angry "how dare you leave me in that cage" type of nip. His tantrum lasts literally about 3 seconds and then he wants his scratches lol

Reactions: Jas

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I also do the fist method with my bird. He always throws a little tantrum right after I let him out of his cage. I expect him to nip at me when I first go to scratch him so I make a fist and let him have his tantrum. By making a fist he can't really pinch my skin. He doesn't bite me hard but it's definitely an angry "how dare you leave me in that cage" type of nip. His tantrum lasts literally about 3 seconds and then he wants his scratches lol
I wish peanut's tantrums lasted 3 seconds. all she does is make a really funny sound before she bites me and then gets mad at me because I don't like being bitten XD. Although she does like her sunflower seeds.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Ok. So a piece of apple is going to be the key to a lot of things you want your bird to do. It's great you've discovered that.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Usually my bird is too stimulated when he's first let out of his cage. Open up the door, let him come out on his own. Ask him to step up on to a T perch. If he doesn't want to, try again in about 30 seconds. Reward/praise when he steps up.