• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Scared Of EVERYTHING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
My parents brought home Vanity, a jenday conure last January. One of my dads clients had to rehome her & we got her & her cage, etc.
She is adorable, and I love her... (even if she screams many times ;)) But she is scared of everything.

I got her a T-stand wayyy back last fall, I wanted to use it to train her some more tricks. So I put it in the room with her, she eyed it but got use to it. After moving it closer & closer I finally put it in the bottom of her cage. She never sat on it or touched it, didn't go near it. If I go to move it to clean it, she screams. So I've taken it out, now it sits in a bin with the rest of her spare toys
I've tried making a jolly ball & putting it in, she wasn't really scared, but eyed it & didn't touch it. I've also made a PVC swing, but I'm guessing she's not going to use it...
She also doesn't play with tons of toys. Only ones I make out of paper towel rolls with beads.

She doesn't move around her cage a ton, there are two perches she stays on the most, she climbs the cage bars, and she sleeps/swings in her happy hut.
How can I get her to be more active, and get her to play with more toys? I'm getting really discouraged lately.. she doesn't play with much of anything, they only time shes really active is when she is out of the cage (which is often, but when I'm in school I can only let her out later in the day, 4:00).

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get her to be a little more.. curious? Shes also more flighty then my doves & budgies! When she hears a loudish sound she jumps.

Oops, sorry for the long post.. :o: :o: :o:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How old is she? Trinket was scared of everything too for a long time. In fact he is just now exploring some of the toys I got for him 2 years ago. How big is her cage? Is she flighted? Where is the cage located and how high up off the ground is it? Do you have any other predator animals like bigger birds, cats, dogs that might be making her scared?

Ginger

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Sorry, I have no ideas. I have a sun who is afraid of many things too. His cage has lots of toys, but he chooses to sit on the open door and do nothing. He is bright and healthy and well fed. I've tried to engage him in play with his toys and he just has no interest at all. I'll be waiting with you for ideas and advice on possible ways to get him interested in something other than sitting on top of his cage all day........he's a "cage potato";)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
If mine are scared of a new toy I start out with it laying on the couch next to me while they are hanging out with me. Then I move it on to my lap and play with it. That usually gets them curious enough to at least try to attack the offending toy :) After doing this several times they will usually check it out. Once they have done that I will hang it in their play area. Sometimes they never like it and I will put it away. I have also found if they don't like something and I bring it back out at a later date they may surprise me and decide that it is ok then.

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
How old is she? Trinket was scared of everything too for a long time. In fact he is just now exploring some of the toys I got for him 2 years ago. How big is her cage? Is she flighted? Where is the cage located and how high up off the ground is it? Do you have any other predator animals like bigger birds, cats, dogs that might be making her scared?

Ginger
Shes almost three years old, her cage is approx. 3 feet high, 2 feet in width, 1 1/2 in depth, and is about 1 foot off the ground.
Its not in the middle of all the activity, but she can see us all the time pretty much. Its right by a french door that is almost always open... which leads to the dinner table. We're often walking past. We have a dog & cat, I don't let the cat near that room. And she did have three dogs in her other home. She's never scared of our dog, and he pays no attention to her. Thanks :)
Sorry, I have no ideas. I have a sun who is afraid of many things too. His cage has lots of toys, but he chooses to sit on the open door and do nothing. He is bright and healthy and well fed. I've tried to engage him in play with his toys and he just has no interest at all. I'll be waiting with you for ideas and advice on possible ways to get him interested in something other than sitting on top of his cage all day........he's a "cage potato";)
Haha, that sounds like Vanity :rolleyes: She's well fed too, makes a good-morning scream every day & also one when we come home from school.

If mine are scared of a new toy I start out with it laying on the couch next to me while they are hanging out with me. Then I move it on to my lap and play with it. That usually gets them curious enough to at least try to attack the offending toy :) After doing this several times they will usually check it out. Once they have done that I will hang it in their play area. Sometimes they never like it and I will put it away. I have also found if they don't like something and I bring it back out at a later date they may surprise me and decide that it is ok then.
I'll try that, I just got some plastic chains that I'd like to add, so I'll do exactaly that! Thanks!

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Oh someone posted a great article not long ago on bird behavior and something you said rang a bell. If your bird has a snuggle thing they will use it and it will become a hiding place. If you have toys put them beside the cage first, and when you walk by the cage, touch it or ring it or play with it. in a few days, put it in the cage.
If it is playstands, just put it where he can see it then in a few days, put him on it with some toys or paper he can rip up. Make sure they are sized for an conure. Maybe even smaller.
We have three conures and they can be skittish. they can also be attached to a particular toy. They do anything for a treat and they love attention ( I guess like any bird).
My other recomendation is to take away the snuggly for the spring season and when you see him go to any toy praise him and give a treat.
Hope he sees you are safe soon.
Cynth

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Thanks Cynthia, that was helpful :)
I'll take it away then, for a little while. She does use some toys, only dull ones that I've made. Thanks for the advice :)

Another thought, there are a ton of toys I see that I would so love to get her, but I'm reluctant to buy them expecially if they are too big to give to my budgies if she doesn't like them..

Last edited:

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Well truely Bethany that is a blessing....she uses toys you make, It could be that your bird only liked the real expensive toys. :rolleyes: She probably likes the toys you make because she sees you making them....thus you are playing with them so she will too.
I make our bird toys in front of our birds. They want to play too. haha

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Wow, I never realized that.. I do make the toys around her. And she is usually watching me :) Hmm, I'll start playing with all of her toys now!
Thanks for everyone's help :)

Vega

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Joni
Harvey is afraid of everything as well. It can drive me a little nuts sometimes! New toys are first held up to show him while he is "safe" in his cage. Then I lay them on the floor or across the room. Some place that its not threatening, but he can still see it. AFter a day or so I lay it in the seedguard to his cage. Then I'll move it to a low spot inside of the cage. Finally the new toy gets to make the big move to a top space to be played with. ;)

Another great suggestion is letting your baby see you playing with it, it lets them know its ok and won't hurt them. Or try playing "keep away". Like kids, they always want what they aren't allowed to have!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Wow, I never realized that.. I do make the toys around her. And she is usually watching me :) Hmm, I'll start playing with all of her toys now!
Thanks for everyone's help :)
let us know how she does

:hug8:

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Harvey is afraid of everything as well. It can drive me a little nuts sometimes! New toys are first held up to show him while he is "safe" in his cage. Then I lay them on the floor or across the room. Some place that its not threatening, but he can still see it. AFter a day or so I lay it in the seedguard to his cage. Then I'll move it to a low spot inside of the cage. Finally the new toy gets to make the big move to a top space to be played with. ;)

Another great suggestion is letting your baby see you playing with it, it lets them know its ok and won't hurt them. Or try playing "keep away". Like kids, they always want what they aren't allowed to have!
Thats what I'm trying with a toy I made.. it has half a coconut turned upside down with two strings of plastic chain attached. At first she was a little scared, but I set it down & 'played' with the chains & she just watched. Its sat near her cage for two days now, so I'll move it low down in her cage now :) Thanks!
let us know how she does

:hug8:
I will, thanks :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.