• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent conure ripped off nail

Jacknfer

Moving in
Real Name
J
hi <_>
my q y/o gcc ripped his whole toe nail off while i was at work.
in the span of 3 hours he managed to lose his nail (on his favourite bell), bleed everywhere and stay quiet while my mum was around.
he’s been acting tired all night and i didn’t notice till i had been home for an hour and i saw his perches covered in blood.
he has a mini nail in that toe still but his feet are both splashed with blood and so is the cage.
he was not bleeding in the past few hours so it must’ve stopped quickly.
he’s acting very sleepy but it is 10pm and he would usually be covered by now.
i’ve made him drink water and eat some sunflower seeds so he’s okay there.
his foot is obviously hurt but he’s walked on it and scratched himself with it so its mobile.
what do i do? should i worry?

Jacknfer

Moving in
Real Name
J
(posted wrong place vefore)
hi <_>
my q y/o gcc ripped his whole toe nail off while i was at work.
in the span of 3 hours he managed to lose his nail (on his favourite bell), bleed everywhere and stay quiet while my mum was around.
he’s been acting tired all night and i didn’t notice till i had been home for an hour and i saw his perches covered in blood.
he has a mini nail in that toe still but his feet are both splashed with blood and so is the cage.
he was not bleeding in the past few hours so it must’ve stopped quickly.
he’s acting very sleepy but it is 10pm and he would usually be covered by now.
i’ve made him drink water and eat some sunflower seeds so he’s okay there.
his foot is obviously hurt but he’s walked on it and scratched himself with it so its mobile.
what do i do? should i worry?

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
The "smaller nail" could actual be a exposed quick ( blood vessel and nerve). Losing a nail and if the quick is exposed is extremely painful and you said he is tired he probably lost a lot of blood. I would take him to a vet. He needs pain management and have the foot looked at. Hope your baby is ok!

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, a vet visit is in order. That is bone that is left behind and goes up into the foot. You risk an infection which is why the vet will likely put him on antibiotics and pain meds so he doesn't pic at it. I have had two rip the entire nail off. Rocco's was bitten and he had to have it wrapped for a couple of weeks. Amada has little backwards toes and lost one of her nails. She had antibiotics and pain meds but not the wrap.

toe.jpg

Jacknfer

Moving in
Real Name
J
The "smaller nail" could actual be a exposed quick ( blood vessel and nerve). Losing a nail and if the quick is exposed is extremely painful and you said he is tired he probably lost a lot of blood. I would take him to a vet. He needs pain management and have the foot looked at. Hope your baby is ok!
he seems okay so far, i have to hold off on the vet until the afternoon which sucks but he’s been keeping away from picking it under my guidance. should i let him bathe in the sink to clean the blood? or would that risk more bleeding?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
he seems okay so far, i have to hold off on the vet until the afternoon which sucks but he’s been keeping away from picking it under my guidance. should i let him bathe in the sink to clean the blood? or would that risk more bleeding?
I wouldn't risk it, better safe than sorry. There will be time for that later. Please do take him to the vet ASAP.