• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure Respiratory Distress - Suspecting Asper

birdwoman

Moving in
Hello, I'm new to this forum.

It's going to be a long post, so in short, I'm suspecting aspergillosis for my bird and he is having respiratory distress at the moment. It's been a difficult few months and I would appreciate any support and advice you could give as I am desperate.

My 14 year old black capped conure has been dealing with respiratory issues since last Christmas when we lost power, the room reached 53 degrees, and he was exposed to the room with a fireplace for about 15 minutes (which I am feeling so guilty about). The very next day, his voice changed, and he started wheezing and coughing badly the next few days. I brought him to the vet as soon as I could which was about 4 days later. I told the doctor I suspected Asper due to the voice change but he said there are no spores in the burning wood and it's unlikely that he has asper because we live in the desert climate. The ACV gave him a doxycycline shot, and he'll need at least 2 shots. He did improve for about 3 days since the shot, but the symptoms came back for the rest of the week. He had 3 doxy shots but he kept wheezing and sneezing, so I asked the vet again if it could be asper and if we can do a blood test. He said he can't do blood test on him because he's too small (he won't draw blood from a bird that's less than 200g), and asper diagnosis is just too hard.

So I went to another vet to get the CBC. The test showed normal everything except elevated bile acid, which he has had before. The reading was 82. We also had gram stain done, and the vet found a lot of gram-negative bacteria, so we put the bird on Baytril for 10 days. He did improve after the course of baytril, but the respiratory symptoms came back. Then he suggested Clavamox for a week, which didn't do anything. So we had the x-ray done, and I've attached the images to this post. The vet said there seems like some haziness in his lungs and maybe the air sac and syrinx but can't tell much from that. Then he put him on Nystatin and Diflucan (Fluconazole). The bird seemed to improve for 2 days and then he was the same.

The new vet consulted with other vets and concluded that we should try Voriconazle, which I'll be picking up in a few days. I also scheduled an appointment with another avian vet 2 hours away this Friday because they said they offer asper test, although they wouldn't reveal which one. I read asper tests are not reliable in general, but thought it wouldn't hurt if they can do it.

Currently, he is almost constantly wheezing, sneezing, coughing, tail bobbing, and making clicky noises as he breathes. His weight has been slightly fluctuating between 71 and 72 grams, which is normal for him. He has been eating well and playing as hard as he always has. I want to give him a cage rest but he just won't stop begging me to come out, so I'm grateful for that. But it's been so exhausting and heartbreaking for months because he's still sick after almost a dozen trips to the vet. It's frustrating that I've suspected asper from the beginning, and it's been already 3 months since he got sick but we still haven't started the right treatment for him due to the delay of diagnosis. I know that it's not definite he has asper, but after 3 kinds of antibiotics and 2 yeast meds doing nothing, it seems like that's the only thing left. I've nebulized him a few times with diluted F10 in a box but it doesn't seem to help so far.

Thank you for reading, and I would really appreciate any comments and support. I don't know what I can do more to help him until we see the vet in 3 days. I'm keeping him warm, but not sure about using a humidifier because that could be bad for asper. The humidity is around 30 right now. It's so hard to hear him constantly wheeze and cough...

Attachments

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
bumping thread for visibility

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know enough to be able to tell you if it's asper or not; the fact that it came on so suddenly after the fire though makes me wonder if he inhaled smoke. I know in people smoke inhalation can cause hoarseness and in some cases life long shortness of breath. Perhaps his airsacs just are coated with smoke which makes it harder for him to breathe? I'm sorry you are going through this!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Smoke is a significant irritant to the lungs and many times a bird that has been in a fire can develop aspergillosis. Dry climates are actually more conducive to the development of asper, due to the lack of moisture in the air sacs and lungs to help protect them. Asper spores are all around us all of the time and when a bird has been compromised, such as yours has, the spores can develop without interference from the bird's immune system.

IMO (and I have had two birds with serious aspergillosis) you need a diagnosis and must insist on the asper titer being done -they send this test out to a lab and don't do them in house. There are also other tests that can be done. I can see enough cloudiness in his lungs and air sacs that I would be highly suspicious of Asper. Voraconazole is one of the better treatments for Asper and I have had good results from it and one case where the Asper was too far advance and my bird died. If you can talk your vet into 5 days of Itraconazole then switching to Voraconazole. The Itraconazole may just give him a boost against the fungus that he needs.

This is a LONG difficult fight and you can't let up on medicating him soon (if he does in fact have Asper).

birdwoman

Moving in
Thank you for your replies. @Hankmacaw I've read your posts about asper and am so sorry to hear what happened to your birds. I'm ready for a long treatment and will do anything to help him heal, just like you did. I just hope he stays strong so we can beat it. He's having a really hard time breathing and lost 2-3 grams overnight which hasn't happened before. I'm supposed to pick up Voriconazole in a day or two but I'll talk to the vet this Friday and ask for Itraconazole and asper titer.

He's currently on a liver supplement (Milk thistle, lactulose, SAMe). I'm still doing Nystatin and Diflucan until I get the new med but it's not doing anything. It's so hard to hear him cough and wheeze the whole time. He wants to play really hard and I don't know if it's because he's frustrated, so I removed some of the toys he attacks.

I don't know if F10 nebulization would be too much for him right now? Or would it help him because it's dry here? I used purified water to dilute it to 1:250.

Oh, also, his poop has been bubbly.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Your vet needs to take all symptoms into consideration. Bubbles in the poop are not caused by Asper, but the presence of Asper allows other opportunistic infection get a foot hold. There are several reasons for bubbly poop - one of the most serious is clostridium. Your vet need to do a throat and anal swab, stain and a culture as well.

Many times my Hank and Jasper were on a fungicide AND an antibiotic, because of opportunistic infections.

The liver support is good.

birdwoman

Moving in
About his diet -- he's on Roudybush Livercare pelleted food which is only available at the vet's office with a prescription. It has lower protein and fat and higher in certain vitamins. I don't like that it has ethoxyquin but the vet said there's no scientific proof that it's bad for birds.

I give him veggies and rice as a treat every day. No nuts or seeds. The vet also told me to give echinacea but I don't know if it's doing anything. I stopped it for now since he might need to get his blood drawn on Friday and not sure if the herb will make him bleed more.

Are there any foods I should avoid during the Asper treatment? Are fruits and bread bad for fungal infection?

Should I invest in the oxygen concentrator?

birdwoman

Moving in
Your vet needs to take all symptoms into consideration. Bubbles in the poop are not caused by Asper, but the presence of Asper allows other opportunistic infection get a foot hold. There are several reasons for bubbly poop - one of the most serious is clostridium. Your vet need to do a throat and anal swab, stain and a culture as well.

Many times my Hank and Jasper were on a fungicide AND an antibiotic, because of opportunistic infections.

The liver support is good.
Thank you for the reply. I heard prolonged antibiotics can also cause Asper, and I wonder if 3 weeks of Clavamox actually made it worse after 3 weeks of doxy and 2 weeks of baytril. I'm giving him probiotics just in case. I really hope the vet can do all of those tests. It looks like a lot of avian vets here, even if they're certified, are not very experienced with treating smaller birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Asper titer is just a blood test. Here is some info for you about the titer: Serodiagnostics for Avian Aspergillosis | Avian and Wildlife Laboratory at Miller School of Medicine
Roswell had all three parts of the titer done: test for antibody, galactomannan and electrophoresis. Both radiographs and the titer are important for diagnosis.
He was sick with a bacterial infection and was on antibiotics before he was diagnosed with asper and we think that his compromised system opened him up to an opportunistic infection from
aspergillus. His initial asper titer was positive and his initial radiographs showed cloudiness in his right lung. Second set of radiographs very slight decrease of the cloudiness. His last radiograph showed a major improvement and his asper titer was negative. He was on vorconazole for several months and was only getting vetri-DMG daily. He is no longer on vorconazole but still gets vetri-DMG and is back to his normal self, chatty and busy. He has an appt. to be rechecked at which time I think the vet is planning on doing radiographs and another titer.

Hope all will be well with your conure!

birdwoman

Moving in
Asper titer is just a blood test. Here is some info for you about the titer: Serodiagnostics for Avian Aspergillosis | Avian and Wildlife Laboratory at Miller School of Medicine
Roswell had all three parts of the titer done: test for antibody, galactomannan and electrophoresis. Both radiographs and the titer are important for diagnosis.
He was sick with a bacterial infection and was on antibiotics before he was diagnosed with asper and we think that his compromised system opened him up to an opportunistic infection from
aspergillus. His initial asper titer was positive and his initial radiographs showed cloudiness in his right lung. Second set of radiographs very slight decrease of the cloudiness. His last radiograph showed a major improvement and his asper titer was negative. He was on vorconazole for several months and was only getting vetri-DMG daily. He is no longer on vorconazole but still gets vetri-DMG and is back to his normal self, chatty and busy. He has an appt. to be rechecked at which time I think the vet is planning on doing radiographs and another titer.

Hope all will be well with your conure!
Hi, I'm so glad to hear your bird Roswell is doing well! What kind of a bird is he and how long did it take for him to get the diagnosis? Was it just oral medication and no nebulization? What were his symptoms and how bad was it? My bird is sneezing and coughing constantly which is very distressing for both of us...

I've been giving him vetri-DMG Since January. I hope you get great test results in your upcoming appointment with him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@iamwhoiam Put a very long scary process, that has lots of ups and downs in a compact description. That is pretty much how Asper treatment goes. Your bird needs a diagnosis. The antibiotics don't cause Asper they give it a chance to flourish. Just as fungicides provide an opportunity for bacterial infections.

Both of my birds had all three tests and a strong gut feeling from my Dr.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi, I'm so glad to hear your bird Roswell is doing well! What kind of a bird is he and how long did it take for him to get the diagnosis? Was it just oral medication and no nebulization? What were his symptoms and how bad was it? My bird is sneezing and coughing constantly which is very distressing for both of us...

I've been giving him vetri-DMG Since January. I hope you get great test results in your upcoming appointment with him.
Thanks! Roswell is a red-bellied parrot. He was sneezing a lot, sleeping more frequently and not talking to me. Usually when I feed him he runs over to the food dish but he wasn't doing that and I could feel that he had lost weight. Weighing him confirmed the weight loss. Blood work and cultures were done and vet prescribed an antibiotic. It took several days for the culture results and bacteria had grown out. Unfortunately one of the strains was not sensitive to the antibiotic he was on so he was prescribed a different antibiotic. He got a little better but he still wasn't doing well so the asper titer and radiographs were done. Maybe he had asper to begin with or maybe the organism took advantage of his compromised system. We really can't be sure. He was only on oral medication and vetri-DMG. Discussed nebulization with the vet but she wanted to see how he did on the Vorconazole first. Took a while but he started acting a little bit more like himself and his weight started to increase. His weight is now back to what it was before he got sick and, as I wrote previously, his activity level is back to normal, too. It made my day when he started talking again and to me that was one of the first signs that he was actually getting better.

I had experience with asper in the past which the birds' previous vet and I believed was caused by tainted pistachios. The pistachios were tested and there were low levels of aspergillus, not harmful to humans but most probably not good for birds especially young birds. :( Only one out of the three young birds was diagnosed with asper but then her older brother passed away from an aspergilloma and her younger brother wound up having a myriad of problems including liver issues although I believe he passed from a mishap during a blood draw since the blood work that came back showed improvement. The "middle child" fought for 8 years and was on a myriad of antifungals, antibiotics, vetri-DMG and other supplements. She would get better for days, weeks, or many months and then get very sick again. Unfortunately she didn't win the fight. :sad3: It was weird. They each passed away 4 years apart, in the order they hatched, two on Jan. 1st and then the youngest the beginning of February. This was several years ago.

Want to add that I had Roswell's brothers tested for asper and thank goodness their titers came back negative. Just wanted to make sure they were OK. They weren't acting off and they don't share a cage with Roswell but they are all in the same room. My other birds are in different rooms.

Last edited: