• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure not able to fly

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
I saw a baby conure for sale at a bird store It was born with wings that will never allow it to fly? I was wondering what kind of health issues may occur with a bird born not being able to fly. How well can they get around the house?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
What did the store say about the little one? Any explanation as to why it won't be able to fly? I'd also keep in mind that, while we humans are told by a vet or an avian expert that a bird will not be able to do something, the bird in question never received that memo and will sometimes prove the "expert" wrong.

I have a young gcc who had a coracoid bone broken while a fledgeling. The vet treated him and told me he'd probably never be able to fly. Well, Dodo wasn't told that and the little buzzard has no problem flying anywhere he wants in the bird area (or anywhere else in the house when he strays).

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, you would need to know exactly why he can't fly. Is it a genetic thing or did the parents harm him? Usually babies growing up with defects have no clue they are defective. Depending on the severity, you might have to make sure his area is padded if he falls off the cage. If he can flutter down, no padding needed but he may need a rope to climb back up on his cage. Can you go back and ask for a pic of his wings perhaps?

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
I was told the reason reason why the wings were underdeveloped, but I don't remember. She said it was born that way, not injured. She showed the wing, but I didn't see anything wrong. It is genetic, the sibling had the same issue but with one wing. She said the bird will just fall, and can't glide down safely. Would it most likely have the same lifespan as a conure with no issues.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I was told the reason reason why the wings were underdeveloped, but I don't remember. She said it was born that way, not injured. She showed the wing, but I didn't see anything wrong. It is genetic, the sibling had the same issue but with one wing. She said the bird will just fall, and can't glide down safely. Would it most likely have the same lifespan as a conure with no issues.
Then, if you are considering bringing this baby home the thing to do would be to lay a blanket or some type of padding under around his cage/stand so that he doesn't injure his chest/keel area. If a bird hits the hard floor without any protection they can eventually bruise and/or split their keel which would require medical treatment. Just mentioning it, in case.