• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure moodswings

Shirley Pino

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Shirley
Hi everyone, I have a 1 year old crimson bellied conure. He is a rumbuctuous and cheeky little fella. Generally a very happy boy, but I have recently been noticing some moodswings. He can either be very quiet, or very nippy and won't touch his food for hours. These moodswings happen at least once a month for a day or 2, and then he's back to being a happy chappy again. The first time it happened it was a full moon, so I thought maybe the full moon made him a bit loopy. But it happens randomly now. I am wondering why this could be? Do parrots just wake up in a bad mood some days? Or could it be hormone or diet related? He is a picky eater but still has a pretty varied diet of pellets, spray millet, fresh fruit, sultanas and he is allowed 1 almond per day.
Any tips or ideas of why these moodswing are happening would be great :)

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Just like humans parrots can have off days to. Is it possible something could be upsetting them?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was going to mention that if you live somewhere that has had a quick drop in temps it could be related. I have an arthritic bird & the temp drop in the last week here in NY made him sore & cranky.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I think conures reach maturity about 1 and a half years, so maybe just a teenager stage. @Mockinbirdiva (our resident CBC expert :)

Shirley Pino

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Shirley
Okay thanks, I thought it could be because he is reaching maturity. But is it normal for them to go off their food like that? He literally won't touch his food all day and I have to pretend like I am eating it for him to actually touch it.