• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent conure leg hurt and swelling plz help

Hassan Ali

Moving in
hi
my conure was sitting on the door and without knowing I slammed the door and then heard my conure screaming so I opened it back up and saw that my conure had suffered big injury with blood :(
but hes still griping it and everything although barely using it even when walking he would just crawl with help of one leg . I had meds from a vet so I gave him some but almost 7 hrs have passed since this happened and his leg is very swollen. what should I do?

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think he needs to see the vet to be honest. He possibly needs more than what you have given him.......can I ask what medication you have given him that you had from the vet?

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please make a vet appointment as soon as possible. The vet will check the injury and check to see if it’s broke and will give some pain medication.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is your conure doing today? If that leg is still swollen, red and/or your conure has issues with grip or perching please bring him to the vet. Could be broken, sprained, ???

Last edited:

Hassan Ali

Moving in
hi all thank you for the replies
today hes still not griping it but tue swelling looks alot less although still there. most of vets near me are closed for today

Hassan Ali

Moving in
I think he needs to see the vet to be honest. He possibly needs more than what you have given him.......can I ask what medication you have given him that you had from the vet?

Meloxicam 0.5 mg/m

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
hi
my conure was sitting on the door and without knowing I slammed the door and then heard my conure screaming so I opened it back up and saw that my conure had suffered big injury with blood :(
but hes still griping it and everything although barely using it even when walking he would just crawl with help of one leg . I had meds from a vet so I gave him some but almost 7 hrs have passed since this happened and his leg is very swollen. what should I do?
If his leg was caught in the door, it is probably broken. Hopefully not, but only your vet can tell you that. Keep giving him meloxicam and try to keep him as still or as quiet as possible. If he is in a cage that has a grid or if he is walking on top of his cage, try placing old towels on both so he isn't trying to walk on bars. Try not to move him around or let him move very much, the more rest he can get, the faster his healing should go. Personally, I would still take him to a vet but the inflammation & swelling could take several days to go down.

Don't let him fly around because each landing will make the pain and inflammation worse. This will take time to heal especially if the leg is broken and not just sprained.

Last edited:

Hassan Ali

Moving in
If his leg was caught in the door, it is probably broken. Hopefully not, but only your vet can tell you that. Keep giving him meloxicam and try to keep him as still or as quiet as possible. If he is in a cage that has a grid or if he is walking on top of his cage, try placing old towels on both so he isn't trying to walk on bars. Try not to move him around or let him move very much, the more rest he can get, the faster his healing should go. Personally, I would still take him to a vet but the inflammation & swelling could take several days to go down.

Don't let him fly around because each landing will make the pain and inflammation worse. This will take time to heal especially if the leg is broken and not just sprained.

Thank you I'll will do that although he is same as he were before getting hurt meaning playing flying around screaming his name and hes still active with exception of not using leg. I've booked an appointment for monday hopefully he gets better before that. I'll get on covering his cage with towels. thank you sooo much

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you I'll will do that although he is same as he were before getting hurt meaning playing flying around screaming his name and hes still active with exception of not using leg. I've booked an appointment for monday hopefully he gets better before that. I'll get on covering his cage with towels. thank you sooo much
I hope & pray that everything goes well @ the vet. . Green cheek conures may be small birds but they are like a stubborn 2 year old who will only do what HE wants and HIS way!
Please let us know how he does. If he will be flying free once his leg is better, maybe consider leaving a shoe in the door way so that the open doors cannot be slammed shut accidentally.

Hassan Ali

Moving in
I hope & pray that everything goes well @ the vet. . Green cheek conures may be small birds but they are like a stubborn 2 year old who will only do what HE wants and HIS way!
Please let us know how he does. If he will be flying free once his leg is better, maybe consider leaving a shoe in the door way so that the open doors cannot be slammed shut accidentally.
couldn't have said it better lol. thanks for the idea its perfect. thank you