• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Help

Capricorn

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey there everyone. Im new to the forum so bare with me. Ive gotten a new Conure about a week ago and now this isnt my first conure but it is the first time the conure didn't become attached to me the first day. Lol I guess you can say I got lucky. His name is Phoenix. Now i know ive only had him for a week and some days so i shouldnt rreally expect him to be tamed but there's something strange going on that I never had to deal with before. So ikeep the cage open all day when im home so he can get out and explore he's in about a medium sized cage where the top opens up to a playstand. Now he will come out and i dont force him to come to me. He will crawl onto my bed from his cage and interact with me, let me scratch his head, curl up into my hand and snuggle up. He perches and lets me hold him in my hand he loves to be held and scratched. He takes treats from me too outside the cage. One time he even took a nap next to me in the bed. But for some strange reason when Im in his cage and he's in it its like he acts scared of me. If im changing the water n food he may move away. If i get close to him with my hand he runs and hides in the corner. And he crotches down sometimes and will keep moving his neck upwards. What does that mean? How comes he acts scared of me when hes in the cage or sometimes on it? He should know im not an enemy if he would come to me and let me scratch his head while he cuddles in my hand. So why does he act so different when hes in or near his cage? Ive never saw this behavior in my past conures so Im asking if anyone else deals with this too. I believe maybe he perceives me as a threat since he may see his cage as a safe spot? Thanks for anyones help. He was also born on 4/19/19

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Phoenix. Some birds are more cage protective than others, as are some species...Quakers come to mind here.
He should know im not an enemy
I don't think that Phoenix perceives as an enemy...you probably have it right when you say he sees his cage as his safe spot.

There are days when Buddy, our conure, doesn't want our hands in her cage...and if she sees that we're there to touch her food dishes (like giving her new food, etc) she will go nuts, as she is very food protective...so we will remove her from the cage when it's time to clean and give her food...it's just easier to do without an unhappy conure attacking your hands...;)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!!!

have patience... He may eventually become more relaxed with you in his cage, but some babies just never want you messing with their stuff! Just like kids!!!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I first went in Buddy's cage he bit me. He's a Zon & it hurt. He was really mad I moved his toys. Then I came here & found out all the reasons why he bit me.

Welcome to AA! You've come to a great place to learn the who's, hows & whys. I hope you find a home here like Buddy & I have.

:bighug: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Two possibilities.
A previous owner or the breeder would just grab him in the cage and pull him out. As long as you never grab him he should grow out of this. He's scared inside the cage because there's no escape. Outside he can fly from any danger.
Or, it's his cage and you are trespassing on his safe space.
And he crotches down sometimes and will keep moving his neck upwards. What does that mean?
That is probably a warning, your hand is getting too close. If you ever see this back off, and try to avoid this reaction in future.
Body language, great isn't it?
Welcome aboard Phoenix and Capricorn.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Two possibilities.
A previous owner or the breeder would just grab him in the cage and pull him out.
^My thoughts as well.

Welcome to the board.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!