• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure having leg amputated tomorrow...

Leah Sapko

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Leah Sapko
My little Tiki bird is having her leg amputated tomorrow. If she makes it through surgery, I'm wondering how to help her transition to being a one legged bird? She is flighted, and I think that will be important. I'm wondering how to modify her cage to help her be comfortable. Currently she sleeps in a snuggle tent, so that is good. But feeding and resting during the day....any advice? Thanks!!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
platform perches, set down low in her cage, also pad out the bottom of her cage with thick towels or fleece. set her food and water dishes low until you see how she does. you may even want to put her dishes on the floor or grate.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the surgery goes well, poor girl.:(

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Best of luck to your wee girl!
Hope everything goes well :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that all will be well with Tiki.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
To give you an idea. There was a video where this girl really put a lot pf thought into her one legged parrotlet set up but I cant find that video. I wouldnt place perches low either. I would use platforms wrapped in fleece and ladders to move from platform to platform. At each platform I would include a different toy or two toys. I would also use a larger cage than the youtube one its just to give you the gist of the idea. I would make many levels and branch levels out and go up branch out up branch out you get the idea. They have platforms that food bowls actually fit right into so your little bird doesnt have to go to the floor to eat. Itd be worth looking into for the comfort of your little bird. Ive always wanted a little crippled bird to take care of. Good luck! Itll take modification after modification but you can do it!

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I hope the surgery went ok. I would get some platform perches and cover the put something soft down for her in case she falls as she adjusts to living life with one leg.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Platform perches, pad the bottom of the cage with layers of paper towels or non pilling fleece, wrap perches with vet wrap. Probably best to lower everything right now and maybe even move her to a smaller cage for awhile.