• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Genetics and color combinations

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two male opaline black-capped conures. I can find the regular black-capped females, but female opalines have been impossible to find. If I breed the male with a regular female, would I expect to get the regular coloration? Is one sex-linked, or dominate to the other?

Another question about green cheeks. I've found a spreadsheet that lists what you can expect from various combinations of colors. It doesn't include the sun cheek variety. I have a pair that I expect to give me chicks in early 2020. The male is a sun cheek, the female is a high red pineapple. The male comes from a pair where the male is a normal yellow sided and the female is a sun cheek. I know the sun cheek is a dilute yellow sided cinnamon, and the pineapple is a yellow sided cinnamon, but I have no idea what is dominate or sex-linked, so I'm at a loss over what I can expect from them. Any ideas?

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Where can I find that chart? I have a male green cheek, a male pineapple, and a female pineapple. Kind of curious if I want to let them breed.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is a list of different combinations. I'm looking for the original google sheet that had the information on it.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Opaline is sex-linked. BCC opaline male paired to wild type hen will result in 100% wild type males split for opaline and 100% opaline hens.

The yellowsided green cheek conure is also an opaline mutation.

Opaline - sex linked
Cinnamon - sex linked
Dilute - recessive

So if your hen GCC has no splits, then you'll get 100% opaline (yellowsided) green cheek males split cinnamon and dilute and 100% pineapple hens split dilute

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you. That makes sense now that someone has written it out for me.

CocoMimi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ali
I have two male opaline black-capped conures. I can find the regular black-capped females, but female opalines have been impossible to find. If I breed the male with a regular female, would I expect to get the regular coloration? Is one sex-linked, or dominate to the other?

Another question about green cheeks. I've found a spreadsheet that lists what you can expect from various combinations of colors. It doesn't include the sun cheek variety. I have a pair that I expect to give me chicks in early 2020. The male is a sun cheek, the female is a high red pineapple. The male comes from a pair where the male is a normal yellow sided and the female is a sun cheek. I know the sun cheek is a dilute yellow sided cinnamon, and the pineapple is a yellow sided cinnamon, but I have no idea what is dominate or sex-linked, so I'm at a loss over what I can expect from them. Any ideas?
Hey Brian,

I understand this thread is 4 years old now and hopefully you are still active on this forum. I have searched endlessly only to find one other person who has the same combination of birds as your mentioned post.

I have a Male Yellowsided Conure (Mom is Yellowsided, Dad is Pineapple) and a Female Suncheek (Mom is a Mooncheek, Dad is Normal Split Mooncheek).

You said the combination above for you produced a male suncheek and a female high red pineapple. Are there any other mutations they produced as well?

Cheers!

-Ali

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Hey Brian,

I understand this thread is 4 years old now and hopefully you are still active on this forum. I have searched endlessly only to find one other person who has the same combination of birds as your mentioned post.

I have a Male Yellowsided Conure (Mom is Yellowsided, Dad is Pineapple) and a Female Suncheek (Mom is a Mooncheek, Dad is Normal Split Mooncheek).

You said the combination above for you produced a male suncheek and a female high red pineapple. Are there any other mutations they produced as well?

Cheers!

-Ali
Brian has not logged in in quite a while. Try using this calculator: Genetic Calculator 1.3 Green-cheeked Conure .