• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CONURE DESTROYING MY THINGS!

Noah

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Noah Smith
Okay, so as i'm typing this i've had to chase my Baby Cinnamon Conure TWICE because he's run away with one of my computer keys! This is becoming a problem... First, he tore up my Xbox controller's analog sticks, then he started doing the same to my Wii U controller, then he started chewing up my phone's case/volume buttons, and he shut off my computer in the MIDDLE OF AN ONLINE SCHOOL MEETING. I've tried to get him off of it, and nothing is helping. PLEASE help!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's a pretty normal day for a parrot in a house! You can try to redirect with foot toys, or provide approved bird areas with access to toys and treats for him to hang out on. I had to start putting all my remotes and controllers into a drawer because my quaker does the same thing. The laptop is kept away from him completely now because he has stolen several keys and chewed the power cord so I had to replace it.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately, you might have to keep him in his cage when you are using your laptop. As for the game systems, is it possible to put a sheet over them when he is out?

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
This is pretty normal behaviour. I don't allow my birds access to things I don't want destroyed. I learnt the hard way with the TV remote. Now I stash those things under a cushion or throw cover when the birds are out.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Boy, my parrot LOVES anything electronic. I have to turn over the remotes , not let her near our phones (she chewed the antana off my land line) and she screws up my iPad all the time. She has a PlayStation and she's clipped or power cords would be a constant danger. If your conure isn't clipped you'll probably have to leave her cage ,but near, when you work and cover everything when she's out. She may lose interest but mine hasn't.

Noah

Real Name
Noah Smith
Boy, my parrot LOVES anything electronic. I have to turn over the remotes , not let her near our phones (she chewed the antana off my land line) and she screws up my iPad all the time. She has a PlayStation and she's clipped or power cords would be a constant danger. If your conure isn't clipped you'll probably have to leave her cage ,but near, when you work and cover everything when she's out. She may lose interest but mine hasn't.
That's pretty bad. What kind of parrot do you have? Jasper's only a baby, so knowing he can tear apart and Xbox controller concerns me.

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I would recommend caging him when you are doing something that requires your full attention like school work. When you do have him out I would have a bucket of foot toys near you for him to play with. My birds are flighted and also have an obsession with cords and electronics. They rarely spend time in their cage and almost never play with hanging toys. They do however love foot toys, so I have their foot toy box on the top shelf of my bookcase right beside my chair. This way they are happy because they are right beside me and they have appropriate things to chew on so they don't destroy my house. You can teach your bird what is and is not appropriate to chew on, but it will take time. Your baby definitely needs your full attention when he is out at this age. I wish you luck with your new green cheek, conures can be quite the little destroyers, my house has the scars to prove it :lol:.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
You have too many electronics and your bird tries to keep you healthy :) . Just put these things away when the bird is out and give the bird some other things to do, little box filled with shredders, toys, treats etc.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I have to put my phone, tablet, ect away when the birds are out because they will break them any way possible. There's no real way to stop it, mine want to be with me when they're out, so I just put the electronics away and watch a movie with them or play with them

Rolanda

Your BABY is playing with the things you are PLAYING with. You might have to keep your little one in his cage when you are engaged in something else. Just like with small children:m when Mom's on the phone they either pester her to death or get into trouble. They have destructive little beaks that can dig into soft buttons and wires (VERY DANGEROUS!). It's your responsibility to keep him safe and out of trouble. When you cannot devote your attention to him He needs to be put away where he cannot get hurt.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Parrots and electronics! Ugh. Harley loves them too. She's scared of stuffed animals so anything or any place I want her to stay away from has the dogs' stuffed animals on it. My husband isn't too thrilled that their are long legged monkeys and long eared rabbits hanging across the top of the tv to keep her off it but at least it works. Hopefully, one day I'll get her trained to stay off things so the dogs can have their toys back. :)

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Mine is a gcc and while I was looking at this forum I forgot to turn over the tv remote and she succeeded in breaking off a small piece of plastic and was chewing on it. I bribed her with a seed to get her to drop it. Thank goodness she didn't swallow it , little minx.she had been working on this every time I left the remote up and had already cracked it. Was a little strip over a button

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are playing with it, therefore your parrot also wants to play with it! Many of those things have exciting, novel textures that are nice to sink your beak into and/or shred.

You are probably better off trying to keep your parrot and your electronics apart than attempt to train your parrot out of it. Put your controllers etc away or cover them with towels if your parrot is out, and if there's something that needs your full attention (like a school meeting) then keep your parrot in its cage. Foot toys are a good distraction if you need them but I wouldn't rely on them.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My lovebirds absolutely adore gnawing on my phone, remotes, game controllers, and my 3DS - especially while I'm using them. Bonito in particular loves the 3DS & has "killed" me many times by hanging off of the control stick or scrabbling around on the screen. :D Fortunately they're mostly destructive when they're in the cage playing with their toys, but...it's kind of a fact of life with parrots!

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I'm lucky that my bird is afraid of things that aren't attached to me, his cage, or made of wood. I would just suggest that you not let the bird roam free and always supervise his outings.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm pretty sure part of having a parrot is learning what you need to hide and what you don't. And how to hide it.
I've just resigned myself to the fact that if I forget to hide a remote or controller with soft buttons they will be bitten off, any thin wires stripped and snipped, it's really my own fault.

Hey, at least the rubber on videogame controllers has gotten sturdier over the years? :laugh:
You should have seen the kind of damage my lovebird could do to a PS1 versus a PS3 controller. The more recent stuff is just better made.
... Not that it matters as much with bigger beaks. :D

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Give him some fun toys to play with and don't be tempted to laugh at him or scold him a lot when he's naughty - that just makes it more fun.
Try a bowl of small toys, beads, maybe a few low calorie, fun-to-chew food items like plain popcorn or raw pasta. When you're at the keyboard, perch him on the bowl and pretend to play with the toys/beads a little. He will probably be curious and start rummaging through the toy bowl; hopefully it will make a good distraction. You can also occasionally hide a special treat like a nut or sunflower seed in there to make it extra fun.

Noah

Real Name
Noah Smith
I found out his new favorite toy is a big bright orange gatorade plastic bottle cap. I'm thinking of making a toy in his cage made out of recycled gatorade bottles ecause my family drinks so much gatorade

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
I just occupy Yukio with a bunch of toothpicks... which he then goes onto my keyboard to chew on... then he chews on my mousepad...