1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent conure bulge above the eye

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Sudzie, 8/28/18.

1. Sudzie

Sudzie Checking out the neighborhood

I took my conure to the vet for a beak trim a month ago. She had a bulge above her eye then. The vet said she could aspirate it or we could watch it. She said it could be a blood blister that could go away, or it could be something else. She was already stressed so we decided to wait. It has been a month and is now slightly bigger. Has anyone seen something like this on their bird? The vet is over an hour's drive away so I am not sure if I should wait a bit longer or just go. I have attached a picture.

Attached Files:

2. enigma731

enigma731 Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

Has it been that color the whole time? I'd be concerned about a tumor.

webchirp and Tiel Feathers like this.
  3. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    If it has grown in the past month a trip to the vet would be a good idea.

Many of us drive 2 - 4 hours to our vet - it's worth it.

4. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Since you wrote that it has gotten bigger best to take back to the vet. At least give the vet a call and let him/her know.

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  5. Sudzie

Thanks for the replies. We are taking her to the exotic vet tomorrow. It has been the same,gray color, the entire time. She does not scratch. She really acts as if it isn't there. She is 6 years old. I'll let you know later this weekend.

6. Sudzie

I took her to the exotic vet on Saturday. She attempted to aspirate it, but it kept filling up again with blood. She diagnosed it as a blood blister, cause unknown. She lives in a large cage with 3 cockatiels so it could have been a peck from one of them or from her attacking her toys. I am giving her .05 ml of meloxicam for 5 -7 days. It may or may not ever go away. It has been there for 3 weeks. She is 11 years old, not 6 as I previously typed. An operation is possible, but I am not taking on that risk just for cosmetic reasons.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)