• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure behaviour help

DarkenedStar2

Moving in
So i recently just got a 4 year old nanday conure, she was hand reared by a family member but couldnt look after them anymore. And she loves cuddles but recently ive noticed she bobs her head up and down, twitches her wings and squeaks... over and over again... is this normal?

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I think your baby loves you.:hehe: Are you sure of her age? Most Nandays mature around 3 years.

She's exhibiting nesting/hormonal behavior. :heart: Wait until she starts either regurgitating on you or keeping it in her beak for the pleasure of eating it herself.

Nandays tend to take cuddles seriously :heart: because she's encouraging you and considers you her mate. Occasionally, when you don't get her message, she'll bite or nip. She may become territorial but as a single bird probably won't.

Females tend to be quieter than males that scream. Her squeaks may get louder and more frequent to please and entice you.:xflove: In some Aratingas, the squeaks are replaced with clucky sounds during actual nesting.

Most likely, this hormonal behavior in Nanday females is more an annoyance than anything. :p However, she can become eggbound so, check her regularly.

DarkenedStar2

Moving in
Yeah, she's about 4 as I was told but could also be 5. No regurgitating yet or well the sound/action of doing so. I've only had her for about a week now and she does like to cuddle a lot as well so I let her sit in my shirt but shes started the head bobbing, wing flapping, chirp since yesterday be it on me or on her cage.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
The reason I asked about her age is that this is often baby behavior learned from the parents. The head bobbing behavior is their version of adult behavior as is chick clucking.

Resting in your shirt is common female aratinga behavior. You may notice her changed scent that she is rubbing on you to claim you. What I find funny is when a conure chooses a toy or case or some inanimate object.

Again, female Aratingas are fairly quiet accept during hormonal periods when they begin the squeaky noises you speak of. After the chicks hatch, the clucking begins.

Based on that video, she seems to be in the early stages of hormonal behavior. As I said, there is a good chance that her behavior will only be a regular annoyance and stay minimal. Regurgitation may be limited to perches or her beak only.

As I said, since she is a single conure, her hormonal behavior will probably be limited. It's nice to experience only the least but wiser to prepare for the worst. After this has happened you can expect this in the future. Be aware that conures can interbreed!

Last edited:

DarkenedStar2

Moving in
Okay, excellent... Is there anything I can do to help her or well not encourage the mating behaviour? I've read a few forums that it was wise to discourage them when they try to do that with a toy or something so they don't lay and whatnot

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
With conures unlike other parrots, consistency is the really the only thing. In fact, have a morning alarm and a bedtime alarm for them. Actually, choosing you now will create a stronger bond between y'all.

Because my birds have access to natural light, they are more affected by day length thus tend to be more hormonal. If you rely on interior lighting, spend a couple of weeks preparing for time changes.

DarkenedStar2

Moving in
She and I usually get up about 9 and have the natural light from then onwards until she gets covered up at 430. Well this is a good sign then, she's taken to me yay!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Actually, I recommend a semblance of 12hours awake to 12hours sleeping for your bird(s). Think of this, those living I'm Alaska don't keep bird(s) awake for 6 months and covered 6 months. Most birds come from areas near the equator where days and nights are equal most days of the year. I live in the South, so have that luxury. Many in the North do not.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I just had to share

... (drumroll:nervous:) ... And the results are in:hearye:... Daytona is actually a (get ready for it)...

FEMALE SUNDAY CONURE
!!!
:wewin: