1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure advice

Discussion in 'Conure Court' started by Firey Fox, 3/13/19.

1. Firey Fox

Firey Fox Checking out the neighborhood

Hello, so I am planning on getting a conure soon and had some questions about them before I do, Question 1 would be which type of conure should I get? I'd like one with lots of personality but don't know much about them and I have never had a bird before. Question 2 would be should I get 1 or 2 conures, I want them to be happy and don't know if they would be happier by themselves or with another one, and then to tie into question 2 if I get 2 of them should I get 2 males, a male and a female, or 2 females?

2. Kodigirl210

Kodigirl210 Jogging around the block

It depends on what you are looking for. All conures are clowns. GCCs tend to be quieter and Sun louder but they are all great birds.

If you want a bird for you then get one. If there are two they will bond to each other more likely than bonding to you.

Birds are also a lot of work so it would be better to start with one and then in a year or so decide if you want to add another or not.

Unless you want babies you also need to get both males or both females. Supposedly male GCCs are supposed to be sweeter than females but I have a girl so I have no basis for comparison.

There is a thread on this forum that has pics of all the different conures so check it out and see what catches your eye.

Also if you have a bird shelter nearby it might help to go there and actually see and handle them in person before making a choice.

Good luck! :)

Farlie and Lodah like this.
  3. webchirp

webchirp Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    I'm a huge fan of pairs and I'm a third wheel with several. They will bond with each other but if you interact with them consistently, you can be a part of their flock. Less worry when you are gone over them being alone.

Females can lay eggs and have egg issues but males can be nippy and less dependent on you. I think if I were looking at getting two, I would get two females. Word of warning, those mail in tests a lot of breeders use, aren't as reliable as your vet. I just heard about someone who thought they had two cheekie girls...not so much as they laid viable eggs together.

You just need to do a lot of research and talk with local rescues/contact your local avian vet too.

sunnysmom and Lodah like this.
  4. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Welcome to the forum. Although there are some generalities with specific types of birds, each bird is different. The best way to pick a bird is to go and meet some. Are there any bird rescues near you? Getting to interact with some will give you an idea of what you like and very importantly, which bird likes you. Also, you can go on you tube and play some videos to see if you can tolerate their noises. For instance, Sun conures are amazingly beautiful, but they're too loud for a lot of people.

Lesley Yeung, katebf38 and webchirp like this.
  5. webchirp

webchirp Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    :iagree: I know a few cockatoo people who would never have a sun conure.

6. Lesley Yeung

Lesley Yeung Sprinting down the street

Lesley
    I find Bird, a gcc, LOUD. And Bird is actually really quiet compared to most and he sleeps until noon. So to each their own.

Be sure you REALLY know what you are getting yourself into. Birds are a lot of commitment. Like a naughty 2 year old that will live for 30 years and never be potty trained.

Farlie likes this.
  7. Kodigirl210

Kodigirl210 Jogging around the block

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)