• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Constipated female canary?

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Yesterday evening I noticed one of my female canaries had something dangling out of her vent, was like a short thin stick in shape. Also some seeds near her vent because she has been sitting in the food dish to warm up her egg(which was thrown out early on). This morning she seems to have cleaned her vent, but appears to still be constipated and having trouble pooping. This is the first time I'd dealt with this and I've had my canaries for around 2 or more years by now. I removed the food dish and put them seeds on a flat surface so she stops sitting in it. I am adding more water and gave them lettuce.

I do not think she is egg bound, but can that be a possibility? She is moving around a bit, she's generally not active enough. It could be a temperature issue that caused this as well. Has anyone dealt with this before and how did you treat it? My local vet does not treat small birds, they don't seem experienced with them. But, if needed I will take her tomorrow. For diet, I gave them seeds, lettuce, broccoli , apple, sometimes oranges, cuttlebone, honey seed treat once in awhile, and hard boiled egg once in awhile. I think this is because she has been staying in the food dish and holding her poop in. Will this solve itself over time or what treatments should I take?

Sigh, this why I don't like having pets, I hate seeing them unwell. It was not my idea to have a pet canary, but I take care of them in the family and allowed them to have a clutch of babies. Do not want to see any of them get sick under my watch or God forbid die. Any help would be appreciated. Vet option can be had tomorrow if that is what's needed to be done. Anything else I should try in the meantime? Thank you all!

Adam21

Strolling the yard
After further inspection it seems like she may have an egg stuck, if I'm going by the shape of her vent.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I don't know much about canaries but I'd say she needs the vet asap. Being egg bound is very dangerous if she is. I have all boys so I've never personally dealt with egg laying.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
After further inspection it seems like she may have an egg stuck, if I'm going by the shape of her vent.

She will need promote vet care for egg binding. This is a very serious condition. Let us know how she goes at the vets. Poor little lady :sadhug2:

Adam21

Strolling the yard
I don't know much about canaries but I'd say she needs the vet asap. Being egg bound is very dangerous if she is. I have all boys so I've never personally dealt with egg laying.
She will need promote vet care for egg binding. This is a very serious condition. Let us know how she goes at the vets. Poor little lady :sadhug2:
Egg Binding Is Serious | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Good luck at the vets, I hope your hen will be ok!
Thank you all! I have read about egg binding a lot before but this doesn't seem like it. I really think she is constipated or something, possibly the seeds she was sitting on irritated her vent. Should I grab her and try removing anything dry around her vent with a q tip? I've never seen a bird constipated if this is the case. If it doesn't solve itself tonight I will have her at the vet tomorrow. Thank you all for your kind wishes!!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Last edited:

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Thank again folks and no worries, I did not handle her in any way. First thing morning she's going to the vet. Have her separated from the other birds ready to go. Just checked up on her and she is asleep. In the meantime, please recommend to me any calcium/vitamin d formulas that I can add to the birds water from now on to prevent this from happening to any other hens and to keep our canaries as healthy as possible.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Mizzely is good with the calcium and vit. D3 items. Thanks for taking her to vet tomorrow and please update us.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Put her into a small cage (hospital cage, everyone needs to have one). She needs 2 things: heat and humidity ASAP. Sometimes I take the hosp cage into the smallest bathroom and run hot water in the shower until it's nice and steamy, leave her in there at least an hour. Food and water as normal, except put some electrolytes into the water. I like to use Guardian Angel, it has vitamins to help them.

You can beak dose calcium. If you don't have powdered that you mix into the water, go to Tractor Supply and get the calcium gluconate for cows. You have to draw it up with a needle/syringe. Be sure to put it in water. She probably won't open her beak for you but if you dribble a TINY bit on the side slowly, you will see her swallowing it down. Dose her every hour. Slowly slowly. You don't want her to aspirate.

Canaries don't live long remaining egg bound. Bigger birds can but canaries and finches can die in a few hours. Vet is always best. There are many who will tell you to expel the egg. DO NOT DO THIS. It will kill your hen, it is painful and completely unnecessary. And maybe stupid.

Adam21

Strolling the yard
After a whole day of being anxiety ridden and near losing a whole night of sleep, I am glad to inform you all she is not egg bound and has been pooping since the morning! Of course I took her to a vet, about an hour drive away. Was definitely worth it, got a real peace of mind, and I really have to recommend this vet for anyone in the Michigan area, if you ever need someone to treat your canaries go to Cedar Creek Veterinary and ask for Dr. Nolan! He was really great and experienced with Canaries and all other birds. This was one of my big worries as the local vets are not comfortable with treating canaries nor familiar with them.

So backtracking, during the night I put her in my room and got her warmth, also warm water for her to bathe in. I was really stressed out because she wasn't pooping. This early morning fed her some leafy greens and hard boiled egg. She was trying to exercise and drink more water. First sigh of relief is I saw fresh poop, finally! Ever since she has been pooping. I took her to the vet even though and recommend others to do so in such a situation. The Doctor checked her for an egg and got a poop sample and said she likely got an gut infection based on the results. So he gave her an antibiotic shot that will work for 10 days. And she is eating, drinking, pooping and flying. I hope her recovery continues to go smoothly and the doctor and I agreed to follow up incase anything isn't still right.

I also got a powder formula mixture of vitamins and calcium which I will mix with all the birds water from now on to make sure they are as healthy as possible.

I want to thank you all once again @BeanieofJustice @fashionfobie @Zara @Lady Jane @Mizzely & @finchly , for the great advice and help you all offer to the forum and its members, especially in situations like this. I will continue to follow up on the bird and update how her recovery goes.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m so glad your bird is ok! You did great going to the vet, and I´m happy you will return for a follow up. It´s always better to be safe than sorry. Birds are so fragile.
Hope your hen is back to her usual self soon :)

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Put her into a small cage (hospital cage, everyone needs to have one). She needs 2 things: heat and humidity ASAP. Sometimes I take the hosp cage into the smallest bathroom and run hot water in the shower until it's nice and steamy, leave her in there at least an hour. Food and water as normal, except put some electrolytes into the water. I like to use Guardian Angel, it has vitamins to help them.

You can beak dose calcium. If you don't have powdered that you mix into the water, go to Tractor Supply and get the calcium gluconate for cows. You have to draw it up with a needle/syringe. Be sure to put it in water. She probably won't open her beak for you but if you dribble a TINY bit on the side slowly, you will see her swallowing it down. Dose her every hour. Slowly slowly. You don't want her to aspirate.

Canaries don't live long remaining egg bound. Bigger birds can but canaries and finches can die in a few hours. Vet is always best. There are many who will tell you to expel the egg. DO NOT DO THIS. It will kill your hen, it is painful and completely unnecessary. And maybe stupid.
I was given the Lafeber's vitamin concentrated powder mix, looking forward to using it and getting them some essential vitamins/nutrients.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good! That's a good brand. For extra calcium you can give egg shells, either from your own eggs or there is one you can purchased called Hatched!. Just sprinkle it over food. Also since she has an infection, now is a good time to start her on some probiotics.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We so appreciate your getting back to us. Whew I am very happy it was not an egg and they you have a great vet for further visits. How in the world can they inject such a tiny bird? Do females sing?

Adam21

Strolling the yard
We so appreciate your getting back to us. Whew I am very happy it was not an egg and they you have a great vet for further visits. How in the world can they inject such a tiny bird? Do females sing?
Are injections for canaries uncommon?