• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Constantly calling?

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Hello, I recently purchased a 5 month old eclectus parrot male 3 days ago. The first day is we extremely quiet making nothing but random little noises but the second and third day he has been making this call over and over when in our presence. Squawk squawk 5 seconds goes by squawk squawk over and over. I was wondering if this is a young age thing like crying like a baby or something. Once he is in his cage and can't see us he is mostly quiet unless we call to him.

Thank you

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I'm not positive but maybe since he is so young he is calling to be fed?

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
I was thinking that. So I tried blending the food but he wouldn't take. Usually he eats on his own.

Mococo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mo
Maybe he wants some space? Mine does that when she wants to be left alone sometimes. Hope it's resolved soon!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's calling because his whole world has been ripped apart and turned upside down and he's just a baby. He has " regressed" because of this stressful situation. Comfort feed him and relieve stress as much as possible.

Give this a read
Abundance Weaning and Fledging

Give this a read too. Not about an Ekkie but the principles hold true
Weaning Sadie

What is your experience with parrots?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Can you record the call? It sounds like he's making baby noises indicating he wants to be fed or he feels really insecure.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
My baby hen was making similar calls on Friday night.... For about 2 hours she squawked away... Basically didn't let us watch TV at all LOL.... We paid no attention to her as we don't want to accidentally encourage the behavior. whenever she was quiet I'd go over and give her a tiny treat through the bars. She did it to a less extent on Saturday as well. Sunday she began the process a third time, and I finally noticed she appears to do this when she is tired/sleepy. So I covered her cage (it was already 9PM), and she quickly quieted down. I went in for a peek about 20 min later, and sure enough she was fast asleep! This may not be the issue with your babe, but something to observe? :) Best of luck

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Lol i know that squak!! Use to break my heart.

My boy did this at 3 months of age. I thought it was because he was hungry. I realised it was only directed at me and was happening when I came back from work or was about to leave him to go to bed. Food did little to alleviate the cries. I felt he was lonely, missing his siblings and the noises of his previous environment.... and of course I would always comfort him so he was letting me know everything was different and scary.

He's 8 months now and has stopped the baby crying, but definitely learnt how to communicate his different moods. Bedtime I get very cute grumbles, and when I get home from work it really depends on how late I am. I had some unpleasant squaks that have now resolved by me changing my behaviour.

I guess if its still happening after a while I suggest you look into causes. They need a good routine with stimulation, interaction, excercise, natural direct light, correct diet and opportunity to shower daily.

I'm definitely enjoying learning about these amazing creatures. Good luck!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Our Male Eclectus Henry did the same thing. I would sit in a recliner chair and put him on my chest and gently rubbed his cheeks until he fell asleep. He is all alone in a strange and scary environment and the only things that he can recognised is some humans, so he is calling out to them for comfort.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
I am actually having a similar issue with my female eke.... And not in the way i described in my previous post...

As of 3-4 days ago She started exhibiting more screaming that usual. As of this morning, every time i walk into the living room she will start Crowing. Arrwk.... Arrwk..... Arrwk.... maybe 4-5 seconds in-between each screech. It is not super loud, but it is just non-stop while I am in the area. As soon as I leave the room she will stop. I am trying NOT to encourage this behavior, but walking away from her cage and ignoring her as i do other things in the living room or kitchen , she continues. Not sure why this came about, there have been no major changes in the home or her environment or routine. She does appear to be molting, as per one of my previous posts.... so Unsure if maybe that is what is making her moody? The weird part is when i leave the room she quiets right down and won't make a peep until she seems me come into the living room???? She isn't being aggressive as she will still step up nicely no bite, and comes right out of the cage etc --- However, she will continue to crow even when being interacted with. I have noticed she appears to be regressing, in terms of her feeding. She is now attempting to "eat" from her bath spray bottle and occasionally even from my fingers as if she is getting formula, which she hasn't had for at least 2.5 months. So That's kinda weird? ANY ONE OUT THERE HAVE ADVICE ?
I apologize for the people that may have seen this post already on a different thread

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
I figured mine out. My guy was not weened long enough. So I weened him a tiny bit before bed with a spoon along with his food.
How did you figure it out? Also can a bird go from being weened to... Unweaned?.. Or whatever the terms are? LOL.... So can they go from eating on their own to needing some type of formula again? That seems really odd.

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Yes they can back track. I figured out because I called a breeder and he said the double call is a call for food. You can also maybe try feeding more food.

Rolanda

He's just a baby. Give him some time. A,bit of Mothering and patience will go a long way. You're in for the long haul with these babies. Rushing isn't necessary. Let them go through their baby things in a loving environment and get the nurturing they need.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
until recently.
Really for his own protection because he once flew into the living room window and then another time into the TV so I had his wings clipped to slow down his speed.

I figured mine out. My guy was not weened long enough. So I weened him a tiny bit before bed with a spoon along with his food.
How did you figure it out? Also can a bird go from being weened to... Unweaned?.. Or whatever the terms are? LOL.... So can they go from eating on their own to needing some type of formula again? That seems really odd.

I would say that is the main problem. Your bird has "regressed" and needs to be "abundance weaned" (Comfort fed until satisfied to build security and confidence).

Give this a read. It's not about an Ekkie but it is the same situation.
Weaning Sadie

Then give this a read. Fledging is just as important as weaning.
Abundance weaning and fledging

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
I have tried to contact my breeder for more information but she hasn't responded. Poppy does have a tendency to quietly caw for about an hour - Always around the same start time between 7 or 730pm...Husband and I figured maybe that when she got fed as a baby.... but she never really went on for more than 30 min or so, and it was never loud. NOW Oh man - Her crowing/cawing has escalated to full out screaming tonight.
At exactly every sighting of me, whether I'm coming towards the cage, ignoring her completely, or just going about normal business in the room ...IE: Watching TV, making dinner etc. . . I keep testing leaving the room just to confirm I am not crazy - and Exactly 10 for 10 of my entering the room = screaming, and my leaving the room = quiet time.

I am so perplexed and confused.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther

I would say that is the main problem. Your bird has "regressed" and needs to be "abundance weaned" (Comfort fed until satisfied to build security and confidence).

Give this a read. It's not about an Ekkie but it is the same situation.
Weaning Sadie

Then give this a read. Fledging is just as important as weaning.
Abundance weaning and fledging

^^^ I've read the articles above - So I guess this confirms she has regressed ;-/ ... She is doing that kinda "chugging" motion she i put my fingers close to her face, and when i attempt to give her little showers with the spray bottle. I've never given a bird formula before in my life... Not really sure where to start with all that. I was kinda hoping to have her off her seed diet from the breeder by using a variety of fruit and veggies as well as warm bean mix. But she's been throwing away most of everything except the seed as of today. uguh :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You don't need to use the syringe. Just need some warm wet food like oatmeal and a spoon. Just like you would feed a baby