• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

constant sneezing

GeezLouise

Meeting neighbors
for more than a month or so, my GCC has been sneezing. i’ve taken her to the vet 3 times. the one that i will continue seeing is more of a holistic vet, and when i took her in to see if he would to cultures, he gave me a aloe-saline nose drop to do every other day. no bacteria found from a beak swab.

i just came back from a 3 day trip, and she is sneezing like mad! almost always discharge in it, too. i cant see the consistency of it, but i’m guessing it’s clear (like the times i have seen it).

she also flicks her head a lot. lots of itching of the nose too. among those things i’ve noticed, she’s pretty normal. flies, talks, eats. i may just be an overly worried bird mom, but what are your thoughts?

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Here's a strange thought, do birds get allergies. Could a type of pollen be irritating her nose.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you know what tests the vet ran?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes birds can get allergies. Did the vet look into his nasal openings to see if there is something there irritating him like a seed hull?

GeezLouise

Meeting neighbors
Yes birds can get allergies. Did the vet look into his nasal openings to see if there is something there irritating him like a seed hull?
no. he just did the beak culture. we know she’s not sick, but if this continues i’ll go back in. i hate calling that place so much!! i just want the best for my bird.

Last edited:

GeezLouise

Meeting neighbors
i forgot one more thing!! he also did do a nasal “flush”. like a neti pot. and since it has been a couple days since she’s had her nose drops, we’ll see if the sneezing and head flicks improve.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
He needs to swab and gram stain the nasal flush contents. Kari has had things show up in the flush that did not show up in the normal swab. Dr. Orosz always does a gram stain on nare flushing if they have this type of issue or are scratching at their ears.