• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Constant screaming and squaking

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
my ekkie is about a year and a half. He is a sweetheart but is a lot of work. I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong... he can’t sit by himself on his playstand or just watch. He has to be with me crawling on me. And if he’s not he just squaks until i get him. He’s like this with his cage too. If I’m in the room and he’s in his cage there’s no peace. Even if he was just out for hours and i put him back in his cage and I’m in the room it’s constant squeaking and screaming. He won’t stay on his playstand when he’s out of the cage for me to do a couple things i need to do. He has to be with me 24/7

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Did this behavior just start or has it been going on for a while? Has anything changed in your household or has his cage been moved?

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
No it’s always gone on.. he just so eager for attention all the time. I have him out enough, but even when he’s out he gets into so much mischief. He won’t sit still ever.
No changes in the house either.

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I have both a female and a male. My female ekkie does it but my male doesn't. My ekkies are young too. They are not from the same breeder but are from the same store.
The male doesn't like to cuddle. The female liked to cuddle until about two weeks ago. Now she is very territorial. She will be one in October.
For a while she was doing it and she was hungry. She loves to eat. I know they say not to over feed them but you need to make sure he is getting enough to eat.
Does he have enough toys?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
No it’s always gone on.. he just so eager for attention all the time. I have him out enough, but even when he’s out he gets into so much mischief. He won’t sit still ever.
No changes in the house either.
Has the view he has from his cage to outside changed in any way? Like construction or road work ...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What do you do when its going on? Talk back to the bird, let him out, etc?

You could be reinforcing it without realizing it.

It's quite unnatural for a bird to be separate from their flock. In the wild they are never alone. So at it's core, it's an instinct issue. Apart from that, it's a product of being a long bird in the house and just simply wanting to be with his flock.

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
I will go to him if he does it for about 3-4 minutes if he’s in the same room with me because it kills my ears. And i don’t want to put him back i the cage because he needs to be out of it

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So what your bird has learned is that if he screams long enough, you will let him out! He gets exactly what he wants :)

What is the incentive to not scream? ;)

I have dealt with a screaming quaker off and on for 7 years. Here are some of the things I do:

How I Dealt With a Screaming Bird – Parrot 1-2-3
How Small Changes Can Have Big Impacts – Parrot 1-2-3

Ignore if you can, but prevention is better!

Ear plugs or bluetooth headphones tuned to your favorite audio book or music to drown out can preserve your sanity while not giving in to the scream fest.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Lada had a piercing noise making saga not too long ago. Some large 3M ear protection from the hardware store did wonders. I was able to endure it, not reinforce the behavior and reward the good behavior and she eventually stopped for good. It's been several months now and I am starting to see hints of the behavior returning, so its time to work at it again and get it under control early. Bottom line, the ear protection is a great option!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
When I first got Lucy she would squawk every time I was out of sight. I started saying Mama as sweetly as I could whenever she raised the volume. Now she knows to say Mama nicely and I will respond nicely back. She's figured out that being loud and rude just gets you nowhere. ;)