• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Constant anxiety that my Green Cheek will die?

Socosmias

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Foxman
Hi there, everyone!

My baby was bought from Petco in April. Her birthday is January 13, 2016 (She's a Capricorn, and I'm a Taurus :heart:) . She is a Cinnamon Turquoise Green Cheek Conure. She is so precious to me, my whole family tells me that it feels as if I have a human baby. I have rid my home of anything and everything that is toxic to her. We no longer have Teflon items, no household cleaners (all natural), we have resorted to all-natural laundry detergent, etc. I am constantly researching on Green Cheek Conures, and ways to extend their life span. I have read so many stories of owners who have experienced a terrible loss. Stories where they come home, to find their perfectly healthy Conure on the bottom of its' cage. Even just reading their stories makes me so emotional. I get this huge lump in my throat.
I've been battling with clinical depression my entire life, with high anxiety problems, and as soon as I got her, my world just turned for the better. I owe my life to her.
She is currently on ZuPreem pellet diet, but I have done research on that brand, and I was shocked to find that it isn't as healthy as they advertise it to be, so I just ordered a bag of Harrison's organic bird food yesterday, which I'm so excited for her to try! She eats plenty of fruits and vegetables (when I feed it to her by hand).
Recently, I've been plagued with terrible anxiety. I'm so scared that one day, I will see her body lifeless. I can't go anywhere without her. I take her literally EVERYWHERE. Even to college. She is attached to my hip at all times, and I even feel a bit of separation anxiety from her when she's asleep in her cage. I just want to be the best bird mom possible, and make sure that she lives much longer than her life expectancy. I feel that 30 years is too short. I don't even know how I'm going to handle her being gone. I have really come to a point where I truly cannot live without her.
Also, how do I make her get exercise? She came with her wings clipped, so she can't fly. The only time she gets exercise is during the mornings, when I let her out of her cage, and I go into the kitchen to get her fresh fruits and veggies, she'll come chasing after me on foot lol. She's out of her cage from the moment she wakes up (6AM), till 6PM (her bedtime).
How often should I get her disease testing? When I take her to the vet each time, is it necessary to test her for any underlying disease or infections, even if she seems healthy? I've never been so paranoid, this is how a parent must feel.

Thank you so much, everyone!
Sophie & Beep-beep

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Beep-beep is adorable. Most recommend a yearly vet visit. I am not sure how often blood should be drawn.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She's a doll. Turq's are one of my favs.

First thing is be very careful It looks like she is outside wo a harness. Just be aware this is the opportunity a hawk is waiting for to swoop down, grab her & take her away. Its horrible.

Other thing is even if she is clipped there is a chance they can become airborn & you don;t want to lose her this way.

Diet, exercise, some natural light, toys, mental stimulation & medical care when necessary go a long way.

Fruit & veggies important. Good pellets are a good nutritional base. Mine gets seed too. My food of choice as he eats it & its natural flavors & dye is Higgins.

Harrisons is good if they eat it. Mine not too thrilled with it.

Her wings will grow back. Get an initial well exam from the vet & they will give you there advice on tests.

Try not to stress as its not good for you & birds pick up on moods.

Enjoy your baby. Life will take you down many roads & may you both have a nice journey/

Last edited:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The best thing you can do is let her wings grow back and allow her flight! They will live longer (flying is the best exercise) and have a happier (less stress) and better life! :)

Karija

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Two things: One, take care of your own mental health. Pets are great at helping people cope with anxiety and depression, but if it's creating another avenue for an anxiety monster to grow, then you need to get that taken care of... if you aren't seeing a health professional about your anxiety, do that, for yourself, and your fid. If you are, I'd let them know pretty plainly about what's going on or show them your post. This will also help with your fid - when your baby goes through puberty, she's probably going to be pretty fiesty, and it can be very hard for their humans when they suddenly get turned on, get bitten repeatedly, or the parrot doesn't want to do all the things it submitted to as a baby. For people with a super close connection with their parrot, this can be even harder.

Second - if we're running with the analogy that you're feeling what a parent feels like, then the best way to describe it is helicopter parenting. If you're looking at the long game, are you always going to be available 24/7 for your fid? What happens when college is over and you have a job? Right now, your fid doesn't know how to entertain itself in its cage on its own. And, realistically, you know there will be times when that will have to happen - unexpected complications can come up or you may have to go somewhere where pets just aren't permitted to go. Toys can also help towards exercise and mental engagement for parrots, so knowing how to play with them is important. With a baby, you're kind of preparing it for what life is going to be like. So if life is never in the cage, then in a couple of years when you might have a job that requires her to be in the cage, that's going to be a serious adjustment. IMHO, it's better for her to know that cage-time happens sometimes each day so it doesn't come as a shock later on. However, if you don't do that, then be mentally prepared that you may get some negative behaviors cropping up when that time comes.

Your bird also needed to trained to use a harness when it's outside. Clipped birds can catch wind and fly away and then get into real trouble because they don't know how to control their flight. Harness will help with that. Clicker training, harness training, flight training - all will provide exercise and mental stimulation for your parrot. And it's something fun you can do that's interactive together. There's also a bird carrier that's a backpack sort of thing, with a perch in it and food/water available. The bird hangs out inside while it's outside with you, the sides are screens so it can see out. You might already have one - I'm sure you've got a carrier or something that you're using at some point taking her everywhere so she has food/water and stuff available, but if you don't it might be something to look into.

RE: Vet visits. My avian vet only does blood draws once a year during the yearly check up. If something is going on and the bird is showing signs of illness or injury, then there may be a test then if it is needed, but otherwise those doesn't happen on subsequent visits (if I'm going because she needs a beak or nail trim).

Switching pellets is great, but know that it can take some while and/or the new pellets may not be accepted by your bird. If you're having trouble and your bird is on the colored Zupreem pellets, you might want to see if she'll accept their no-dye naturals pellets. Then switch over from there.

Good luck! Beep beep is a cutie!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Healthy birds don't just die. Old age, sure, maybe, but young birds don't die without a reason. Birds instinctively hide illness because it makes them a target for predators, but there are usually signs that something is off. Changes in behavior, poop, eating, etc. So just get to know your bird and if something is off, take them to the vet. That's really all you can do.

For the vet, do an initial checkup and get baseline blood drawn so you have something to compare to if needed, but most vets won't recommend doing a blood draw at their yearly checkup unless their is a cause for concern.

Zupreem Natural isn't a terrible food, it has a little sugar in it (less than cheerios!). Harrison's is better in that it doesn't have sugar and is organic, but since my current bird won't eat it, zupreem does just fine.

Keep a harness on that Bird if you are taking him outside! Predators can take him quickly and believe me, they can fly even if clipped! But for best health they need to be flighted so make sure to let his wings grow.

Don't spend so much time with him that your bird becomes super attached to you and can't live without you. 30 years is a long time, and there will be placed he can't or shouldn't go. Just remember that while YOU are taking precautions, the people at most establishments you might be taking him to are not.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Shawna has given you a gift of excellent advise. One little thing more is that birds are very intuitive to your feelings. Please understand you bird can feel your anxiety so be happy and conquer this fear.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
All of the above is great advice.

My first thought was don't take him outside without safety checks...harness, cage, or carrier. I have a celltei backpack for mine.

Remember, we all worry.

Buy a weight scale. I weigh my birds once a month and keep a written chart. one of the first signs of illness in a bird is weight loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations. She is very cute. It might be a good idea to seek out some help for yourself to reduce your anxiety. It sounds as if you are doing the best you can for Beep-beep but taking her everywhere you go is probably not the best thing. She needs to have time away from you. Never know when you have to go off somewhere and can't take her. You've been given some excellent advice in the other posts.
Enjoy Beep-beep and try not to predict or make assumptions as regards what might or might not happen to her.

As for pellets: check out Caitec Oven Fresh Bites. Used to feed my guys Zupreem and then switched to Roudybush which was a big fail. Caitec has been a success for all except one.

Socosmias

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Foxman
Everyone on here is so wonderful. I couldn't be any more thankful for such a supportive, and informative community. I will definitely buy a flight harness for her. And a scale! Beep-beep and I thank you guys so much! :grouphug2::heart:

P.S., as for the random pic of her, I call it her passport photo, haha.

Attachments

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Teaching her to use a harness will really help her. She can safely be out with you.

You really have to let her learn independence & so that she is at ease even when you can't be with her so much.
There will be a time when you need to do something or may to leave her w somebody & she needs to be able to be comfortable. If you baby her too much you are doing her no good. She will end up being stressed.
She needs to know its OK to be in her cage sometimes & that you will come back & she can play with toys.

So many things are going to happen in your life in 20 or so years that you can't anticipate.

Beep is really cute! :heart:

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
Hi Sophie!
Welcome!
Beep Beep is very, very cute.
I'm smiling at your story about how Beep Beep helped you overcome depression. My niece overcame her anorexia (and depression and anxiety) by owning a cat. The cat is a family miracle and I'm grateful to hear your Beep Beep is a miracle for you.

I also have struggled with anxiety - so I understand where you are coming from. I have overcome most of it over the years with will. I recognize that my feelings are irrational, and I logic my way out of them. Sometimes mindful breathing helps if I am having a lapse of calm. I'm also much much older than you and all of this took me quite a long time to understand and handle. However, the lesson for you is that there are things you can do to help your anxiety, including medication, including mindful breathing, including recognizing that your BODY may feel anxious but you don't necessarily have a reason to be. I think that is what you are feeling - generalized anxiety - and applying a reason you feel anxious. Try and not think about anything bad happen to BeepBeep- try and keep your brain busy with other thoughts if you can. I hope you have some qualified help to assist with your anxiety.

The way you describe her, she sounds like your therapy bird. How does she travel to school with you? I think its ok that Beep Beep is pretty much cage free, although I'd love to hear that you felt comfortable leaving her once in a while. Wrestling, climbing and chasing you are all exercise. If you get her a harness she can learn to fly, which is the best exercise ever.

My conure thinks that harrisons is revolting. We eat some rainbow fruit smelling things that are supposedly healthier. And nutriberries.

Heather F

We all have the occasional nightmare about coming home and discovering something awful. If I am the first one home from work in the evening and I put my key in the lock and I don't immediately hear the "welcome home!" chorus from both my birds (because one or both of them happens to be napping or whatever) I always get a little nervous opening the door. I check my birds' toys for signs that the way they have played with them has left them with parts that could tangle or create a gap that they could get a body part stuck in, and I know that even so I can't predict every possible thing that they might decide to do with their environment. The cost of loving anything is opening yourself up to the possibility of heartbreak at some point down the road.

But when that anxiety is interfering with your ability to go about your life and causing you to make your bird over-bond to you so that she would have a hard time playing independently, you have a problem.

Please know that it isn't common at all for a healthy bird to drop dead. I have seen stories about that too but nearly every time when that happens it is a bird that is new to the house and it hasn't actually been vet checked by the new owner so they don't actually know that it was healthy, only that it seemed all right when they brought it home. They don't have a wellness baseline from a good avian vet, and they haven't had it long enough to be able to really know what is normal and healthy behaviour/appetite/sleep/droppings for that bird and so they can't tell if there were any of the subtler signs of illness that someone who had known that bird for longer would notice.

It sounds like Beep-Beep has done wonders for your mental health in some ways but now that you've had her for a while she is turning into a new outlet for the anxiety monster. I hope that you have some good professional mental health care that can help you work through it. Chronic mental illness, like any other chronic illness, is something that needs to be managed with care and sometimes a treatment or coping strategy that works for a while might stop working as well and you need to try something new. Since I am not a mental health professional and don't know you personally I'm not qualified to give you any advice, but your bird is very cute and sounds very sweet and she needs her human person to be healthy in order to be happy and healthy herself, so make sure you take care of yourself first of all. :heart:

Socosmias

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Foxman
Hi Sophie!
Welcome!
Beep Beep is very, very cute.
I'm smiling at your story about how Beep Beep helped you overcome depression. My niece overcame her anorexia (and depression and anxiety) by owning a cat. The cat is a family miracle and I'm grateful to hear your Beep Beep is a miracle for you.

I also have struggled with anxiety - so I understand where you are coming from. I have overcome most of it over the years with will. I recognize that my feelings are irrational, and I logic my way out of them. Sometimes mindful breathing helps if I am having a lapse of calm. I'm also much much older than you and all of this took me quite a long time to understand and handle. However, the lesson for you is that there are things you can do to help your anxiety, including medication, including mindful breathing, including recognizing that your BODY may feel anxious but you don't necessarily have a reason to be. I think that is what you are feeling - generalized anxiety - and applying a reason you feel anxious. Try and not think about anything bad happen to BeepBeep- try and keep your brain busy with other thoughts if you can. I hope you have some qualified help to assist with your anxiety.

The way you describe her, she sounds like your therapy bird. How does she travel to school with you? I think its ok that Beep Beep is pretty much cage free, although I'd love to hear that you felt comfortable leaving her once in a while. Wrestling, climbing and chasing you are all exercise. If you get her a harness she can learn to fly, which is the best exercise ever.

My conure thinks that harrisons is revolting. We eat some rainbow fruit smelling things that are supposedly healthier. And nutriberries.

Hi Beth!

Goodness, we have lots in common when it comes to anxiety related issues. That's exactly what my problem is as well! A lot of my fears are all extremely irrational. I'm also apart of another forum site for emetophobia (an irrational fear of vomiting), and it was little things like that, that would dictate my life because I had the habit of viewing my fears as a tiger in the woods, when in reality, it's just paper mache.
But luckily, and by the grace of God, after I found Beep-beep, things have changed. I wanted to become healthier in every aspect, so I could be there for her as well. A lot of people think it's ridiculous because they look at her like she's a dumb little bird, but Conures (and other parrot species!) are so emotionally intelligent! I live on a farm, and my family owns lots of livestock, dogs, and cats, but I've never felt such a bond with an animal before. She's like a real baby, from her tantrum fits (which I find hilarious), to her cuddly moments.
I still get days where I suffer from anxiety, but Beep-beep always gets me out of those moods.
I'm glad to hear that you are able to manage your anxiety much better now. I wouldn't wish for anyone to go through that, as it can be a crippling experience for the most part. I am currently seeing a Christian counselor, and she is very helpful! But I found that opening my eyes, and fighting the battles myself was what was truly effective.

I had just ordered a flight suit for her off of Bird Paradise, and I believe the Harrison's shipped yesterday. Hopefully she enjoys it, lol. She's a big foodie...
I guess now I just have to wait for her flight wings to grow back.

Thank you guys again for all your wonderful replies!! I'm constantly learning something new every time!

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
@Socosmias - my personal belief is that my body feels anxious and so my mind find a reason for it to be anxious. That is why the fears are not really rational. Luckily, we have the ability to logic and think when you begin to recognize that your fears are irrational it is easier to overcome them.

I would also speak to your doctor about your anxiety. While counseling is good, it may be helpful to take medication to get anxiety under control so that you can live a normal life.

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
@Socosmias - my personal belief is that my body feels anxious and so my mind find a reason for it to be anxious. That is why the fears are not really rational. Luckily, we have the ability to logic and think when you begin to recognize that your fears are irrational it is easier to overcome them.

I would also speak to your doctor about your anxiety. While counseling is good, it may be helpful to take medication to get anxiety under control so that you can live a normal life. Eventually, you'll be able to control the anxiety without the medication.

Rolanda

Hi,
You'll find that there are quite a few members that may have similar experiences with anxiety and or depression. I was surprised when I found that out on another forum. Remember you need to work towards being whole. Your Sweet little Beep Beep can't carry the load. They can feel when we're stressed. As Beth said, mindful breathing, finding the stress points in your body and calming them, and getting good mental health help is REALLY beneficial. (Yes, another depression & anxiety team member here.) Ultimately one thing that has helped me is remembering to "Be Gentle With Myself". We take life in and internalize it all, and hold it, and let it fester instead of breathe with it and let it in and let it out.
Best of luck for your and Beep Beep's independence!
Big happy hugs:hug8:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I used to worry a bit about Nerd as he got older, but he continued to just be Nerd so I quit worrying and figured he'd hang out till he was good and ready to go. He made it another 10 years after I gave up worrying about it and was happy and healthy right up to just before the end so try not to focus on the things you can't control, it wont change anything but make you miserable. Nerd was at least 31 when he left us as that's how long he was with me. He was probably at least several years older then that as he was wild caught pretty sure and had no band. If you think some pros would help you sort it out go for it, no need to make yourself sick over things when even just talking to someone can make a huge difference.:hug8:

Eloquin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emily
Howdy folks, I came across this post today and even though it is a little older I thought a reply was prudent. I am in the medical field myself and a happy owner of green cheek conures too! Although physical therapy and nutrition are my main areas, I am a huge medical research nerd and study all sorts of therapy out there. I wanted to chime in on the care of your beloved birdie my dear and also on your own mental health. I read everyone's replies and people gave you great advice! It's good to see such a positive forum!
A few things to note on conure health is to mimic their wild environment as much as possible in a human home. Conures as a species are LARGE GROUP pack animals that never leave the nest. Unlike other more solitary species of parrots, conures NEED other birds to not get sick over time. That is why your one single bird is so attached at your hip. You are its only other pack member and it will stress your baby out in a dangerous way to be separated from the "pack". In the wild conures stay in groups of 30 to 100 birds that stay together at all times. There are two distinct personality types; dominant and submissive conures. The dominant ones tend to stay on the outside edges of their pack and watch for predators, signal tree hopping time and food finds. They typically don't preen other birds as much but demand to BE preened a lot. They are very aggressive even when it seems they shouldn't be. While the submissive conures stay cuddled more in the center of whatever tree they are all in at the time, helping to take care of chicks, preening, and getting beat on by the dominant conures if they fly too far away from where they should be. This is why your bird may bite you or your friends that leave and come back later. They are punishing you for "leaving the nest group when you are part of the pack and conures don't leave the nest!"
When a conure gets stressed from being away from adopted "pack" members, their bodies secrete a higher amount of linoleic and lactic acids that can poison and kill your bird, even a perfectly healthy one. Conures were NEVER meant to be single bird pets!!! They need a pack to be at their healthiest. Like other people here said, you can't be with your baby at all times in life and it will do damage over time leaving them home alone or locked up in a cage. Think of a two or three year old human child, would you lock them up in a cage when you couldn't be with them for hours for work or other reasons? What would it do mentally to that child to sit in a box while everyone they know and love are gone? They stress out the whole time. That's what. And stress kills birds. Now, if you have 3 birds together or 4, then they have a group and are never alone. Each bird will bind with you, but also each other, so when you are gone they are busy playing with each other, preening each other, harassing each other lol which is natural and fine. They don't just sit there alone full of stress taking a toll on their health each time you leave or lock them up.
Another very important factor is heat. Conures are from areas of South America where it is typically not colder than 75 degrees farenheight at NIGHT time! One of the biggest death sentences for a conure if being cold, another big stressor. It's not ok to just have some kind of heating element in or next to their cage, the ambient air temp in the room they are in should be in their healthy zone. Minimum 75 degrees. This stops so many health problems they have in captivity!
In the wild, conures eat spicy red peppers. Like cayenne. Which is loaded with vitamin A which is missing from a lot of their other food sources. But it also contains strong antibiotics, antiviral, and antifungal medicine that keeps wild conures healthy even though they are bombarded with all sorts of tropical diseases and funguses! As well as when they chew through the rind on the citrus fruits they eat almost daily in the wild. Their beaks get coated with the peel oils which they lick and it is like medicine. In the USA our citrus fruits have been sprayed with poison to keep off pests and plant infection, so do NOT give your bird citrus peels from the grocery store unless you buy organic AND have contacted the producer to ask about pesticide, fungicide, and herbicide use, which does not disqualify them for organic status like most people think..... I give my birds a tiny pinch of fresh cayenne pepper powder mixed with an equal amount of raw local honey into a firey paste. Just about a drop on the tip of my finger per bird. They love it and lap it up. Be forewarned that it is legal for commercial herb and spice sellers to fill and dye the content of the spices they sell with wood pulp and not list it as an ingredient!!! Frontier brand doesn't do that. But when in doubt, call the company and ask. If it looks unnaturally bright red, or has a more "fluffy" texture, it's probably been dyed to look fresher and has been diluted with filler. Real dried cayenne should have a granular feel.
Conures nibble on fresh greens every day in the wild that we don't have in the USA! A lot of our grocery store greens are not good for conures except raw spinach. That one is full of the right vitamins and is safe to feed to conures on a daily basis. They have trouble with making a mess tearing leaves up instead of eating them though, so I juice fresh leaves and freeze the spinach juice in a mini ice cube tray. I will put one mini cube on a little plate in the evening and watch my birdies have fun playing with and licking their spinach juice popsicles! Evening is when they eat greens in the wild, so evening is when I feed mine greens.
They also don't eat many seeds in the wild with the exception of quinoa, amaranth, and chia seeds, but not daily!! They eat fruits and bugs as their main daily diet, bananas, and citrus types mostly. All the commercial feeds for conures contain such crap :-(
Soy and corn and as almost nothing they really eat in the wild!
I feed my birds their fill of banana in the morning after they have eaten some pellets. Then citrus mid day and fresh or baby food sweet potato purée. Again vitamin A. Very important. And the tiny spinach popsicle at night. They should be offered food once per hour all day!! They have very fast digestive systems and they also forget to eat when away from a food bowl! In the wild, food iOS everywhere and they eat constantly all day, but in a human home they tend to be cuddled away from their cage for long periods which takes them away from food in their face to remind them to eat. Even if you have a bowel of food pellets siting with you and your bird, YOU are distracting them from remembering to eat. So you need to actually offer pellets softened in a little water dip once per hour you have them off the cage! They don't eat dry food in the wild, and they need the water for proper digestion.
Now for you my dear on the anxiety side of things. First and foremost I do NOT recommend mental health drugs! Most are more harmful than good even if they keep some of your symptoms in check their effectiveness usually wears down after awhile and it teaches your brain to secrete even more incorrect levels of hormones and endorphins that screw you up more over time. With the exception of certified scitzophrenia. If you hallucinate then you need drugs. But if your symptoms are in the bi-polar, anxiety, depression range without hallucinations, then you probably have a digestion issue that is making a long domino effect in your body that results in the wrong hormone amounts being produced by your brain. This also creates neurological pathways that learn to react with stress responses instead of healthy responses which compounds the problem. Have you actually had your serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin, estrogen, testosterone, and thyroid hormone levels checked? Most of these master controller hormones require a lot of B vitamins to build them. B vitamins are only broken down in the intestines by specific beneficial gut bugs that eat your food as it comes down the pipes, then their bodies poop out the vitamins in the correct molecular form that pass through your intestinal wall and into your bloodstream to go get put into all the places that need to to build stuff in your body. B12, B6, B3 and B2 are all needed together in the right molecular form to make your brain chemistry correct. A lot of things we eat in the USA and do here kills off the bugs that inject us with these vitamins. Taking antibiotics, drinking alcohol, eating certain healthy foods often that have strong antibacterial properties like garlic, dill, lemongrass, thyme, oregano, cinnamon, honey, clove, and nutmeg will also affect your good gut bugs. Vitamin supplements often have the incorrect form of a vitamin that your body doesn't recognize and so doesn't use. You just make expensive pee! Take B12 as a good example. It's almost always put in supplements as Cyanocobalamin. A cheap man made form. Which we only absorb about 1% to 2% of. The rest you pee out. It's crap. The form you need is either methacobalamin or Hydracobalamin. These are the correct molecular shape for the body to recognize and use. They are much more expensive. Blood tests can trick you into thinking you have enough of a vitamin because a lot of doctors are lazy and run the wrong tests! They commonly only run a "syrum level" test which just looks at what is floating around in your bloodstream. But taking the wrong kind of vitamin like Cyanocobalamin, will trick the test and show you have good levels when in fact your actual cells aren't taking any of it in. This happens often with magnesium too! What they need to run is an "intracellular level" test. Which looks at how much stuff actually made it into a cell to really use! You need to compare the syrum level taken at the same time as an intracellular level!!! If the syrum level is normal but the intracellular level is low, you have a problem getting nutrients into your cells. Could be blocked receptors OR could be the wrong unrecognized form of the vitamin not going in the cell at all. A lot of things will fill up cell receptors so they don't take in the right stuff. Read up on this with legitimate studies. It will open up world's to you in understanding how the chain reaction caused anxiety, depression, and bipolar swings!
Lastly, auditory Neurofeedback is AMAZING for people with anxiety and depression!! It is so much better than visual neurofeedback. Fixing a nutritional issue isn't everything needed for a long time or life long sufferer. You have to unteach your brain's neurological pathways to not hyper react like they have built themselves to do. Auditory Neurofeedback makes the brain build new neurological pathways that are not screwed up. It CURES anxiety, depression, and Bipolar disorder. Permanently. With no drugs or needles. As long as you have fixed up your guts to be getting the correct nutrition to your brain. Look up the company BrainState and the research published from Wake Forest university on neurofeedback therapy benefits. It's amazing. I have seen it do miracles and it's painless and pleasant to sit through! They are using it on patients now that we're declared brain dead on life support, and making their brains come back to signalling again and waking people up from comas with this therapy! And a lot of doctors haven't heard of it yet so read up on it! I hope some of this enlightens and helps :)