• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering rehoming

pegwillen

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
D.
I am putting this out in case there may be a person out there that it will ‘click’ with.....

Pearl (pictured) is a female Maxi Pionus. Age questimate is seven, based on the legband she had on when I homed her in 2012, which had a XL or XI, since she isn’t an extra large bird I am assuming it was an XI thus hatched in 2011. She came to me through a Craigslist ad in Massachusetts where she had been living with a young man for a short time, and he got her from some friends, no more details of her past are available. The letters on her band were HSA.

I am looking possibly to rehome her. Since my spouse died and I retired, I travel six months of the year in a smallish travel trailer. She and my two other birds, a budgie and a cockatiel, have traveled with me. The littles have plenty of room to fly around, and they really don’t need me to be in their sphere. Pearl, while basically a perch potato, is used to having the entire length of my house to fly in, and the trailer is a bit cramped for her. She is not accustomed to living in a cage, and I am her focus. My three birds all have the freedom of the house and trailer, and put themselves to bed at dusk in a cage available to them in both the house and trailer. They travel in the truck in separate cages however.

I travel with a portable 4x4x6 aviary so they can get outside in the sun weather permitting and I do this at home as well. She has an aviator harness, and while not submissive to its application, we get it done, and she is fine once it is on.

Obviously, what I want for her is what every bird owner wants for their birds, stability, a modicum of freedom to fly, and a person to attend to her. I don’t know how she would be with a male human, as my spouse didn’t spend time with her and he died in 2015 so she has had only a female human in her space since then. I would only rehome her to a person who knows bird behavior, e.g. noise and the potential to get bitten. Pearl has a flock call that is rather loud, but not used a lot, and she can bite. She does not speak human. An experienced bird person would recognize the signs she gives that she is considering biting. I will be traveling through the southern states and return to the northeast in April. PM me for more information....thanks.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Hopefully, you will find that special someone for Pearl soon....

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

I am not trying to change your mind, but being involved with a bird rescue, we often receive contact from homes where they think they are doing the best thing for their birds.... but often times the people are thinking like people, not so much from the bird's point of view.

Is there a reason you think you beautiful baby may be unhappy? Have you seen a change in behavior?

You can feel free to tell me to buzz off and mind my own business, I am only asking because I can maybe offer some experience from the other side of the fence. Feel free to message me if you would like to chat. If you have any doubts about your decision, message me :) But if you feel rehoming is best for you too, I completely understand that decision!

Hugs to you whatever road you take (literally!).

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry that you need to rehome her and if I was in USA I would gladly taken her.
Maxi females are the best! ♥

@Aubrey Here is your chance. :)

pegwillen

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
D.
I am not trying to change your mind, but being involved with a bird rescue, we often receive contact from homes where they think they are doing the best thing for their birds.... but often times the people are thinking like people, not so much from the bird's point of view.

Is there a reason you think you beautiful baby may be unhappy? Have you seen a change in behavior?

You can feel free to tell me to buzz off and mind my own business, I am only asking because I can maybe offer some experience from the other side of the fence. Feel free to message me if you would like to chat. If you have any doubts about your decision, message me :) But if you feel rehoming is best for you too, I completely understand that decision!

Hugs to you whatever road you take (literally!).
I’m really just pondering this....I don’t think she is unhappy, more that she has less freedom/flight during the time we are traveling, and less time in my space. On towing days she can spend as much as five hours (covered) in her travel cage. Overall as parrots go, she is pretty easy going. I’ve learned in life that putting an idea/wish out there and waiting, with patience, often brings a desired result. There may be a better place for her, but for sure under normal conditions she will outlive me and that is a concern as well. I wish birds were never introduced into the pet trade, they are always wild at heart and I wish they could all live wild....but I didn’t understand this until I had birds and studied their behaviors.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Omg! She sounds like a dream :heart: I have a male maxi pi. I'd love to take her but my husband does NOT want another bird. :facepalm::rolleyes::grumpy::sour:

I'll try to talk to him though.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I am at my limit but would take her in a second. Just not sure about adding another cage. Good luck