• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering new friend

Terasa

Moving in
Real Name
Terasa
Hi, I'm considering a new bird in my family, and have lots of questions. Last year I moved away from my bird person, she had gotten me all my birds and helped me thru all the processes. I have 2 yellow napes, females, cages seperately. I'm considering a smaller bird, as I have very little space for cages, and like to give them lots of room. The Amazon's are in Macaw cages. Anyway, I'm thinking of love birds, parakeets, or possibly parrolets,. Sure I spelled that wrong. I've had tamed love birds, and parakeets not so tame never had a parrolet. 2 birds in one cage is not out of the question. I would like to have them out of their cages, and interact with us if possible. Basically my question is where is a safe, humane place to seek out birds? I live kind of out there, no big cities, have to go 90 miles for an avian vet and groomer, so I haven't seen any evidence of breeders around here. Pets smart and the like are around, but I'm not sure of those places. I'd also appreciate advice on cage size, one or two birds, and info on parrolets. Thanks for any help and thanks for all who read this entire missive!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Are you open to adopting? there are a number of parrot rescues in California. Just google California parrot rescue. I don't know where you are in CA, (can't find anywhere called Valley center?) so I don't know which are close. If you let us know the names of rescues that interest you, I think our members will know something about them.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you checked here? https://peac.org/ Don't know anything about them but they are located in the San Diego area.
I think there are some parrot stores located in SD, too. I believe Valley Center is about an hour drive to SD.

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
Do you mean the central valley