• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering an Office Job Again and Struggling

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Last fall I posted about how miserable I am in my job, and the fact I was debating looking for something new b/c I am 100% remote.
I am getting to the point where I really can't bear my job any more and have started actively interviewing (yay!). The thing is, I've yet to find anything with the same 100% remote setup. The best I can do is a 2nd interview I have tomorrow with a company that expects me to be in the office for the first month, and then I can do a 2 days/week at home, 3 in the office split.

Waffle is an only bird and for so many reasons we are not prepared to get a 2nd. I worry so much about her mental health as I consider the transition to not being home every day, AND having to build in commuting. Thankfully my sweetheart sometimes gets time to work from home and she adores him, but it's not on any kind of consistent schedule.

I don't even have an offer yet but I'm getting panicky about how this transition is going to go. She has tons of toys and we put on birdie videos for her. But she is my special girl who gets lunchtime cuddles and I didn't know when I got her my job situation was going to change so much. :(

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Birds are adaptable and it will be a shock at first but she will get use to the routine.

My guys went from seeing me everyday nd being out for 10 hours to only being out for around 3 hours a day, Fridays and Mondays they usually didn't come out because my lectures finished and started at awkward times. Travelling to uni is a 2 round trip.

They have lots of toys and I encourage lots of foraging to keep them entertained. They also had quality time with me after or before uni. They sometimes are too busy working on getting an almond out of toy to notice I walked through the door.

Good luck with the job interview!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have run the gamut with my birds.

Away all day, home at night.
Home all day, away at night.
Home for 3 days, away for 2.
Home 5 days

They adapt :) The first week or 2 may be rough but she will be fine! You can't be a good mama if you are miserable anyways! Your happiness matters too. You can get a camera to check on her during the day if you want :) Leave a radio or TV on for her so it's not silent.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with the others - she'll adapt, and it's better for her to have a happy, fulfilled person in her life.

I'm usually at work four days a week and working from home one day a week, but there are times when I have to go in five days a week and times when I can work from home for most of the time.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
@tka Do you just have one bird? I am wondering how the only birds do vs ones who have birdie companions during the day...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Those that work have weekends off, too.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@tka Do you just have one bird? I am wondering how the only birds do vs ones who have birdie companions during the day...
Just the one. Leia has foraging toys during the day and is out between 6 and 9pm.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wonderful! I like her name. :heart: Waffle has so many toys. We may have to start pushing her bedtime later (she goes to bed at 7pm right now) but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
What I did with my bird is I slowly spent less and less time at home in preparation for working full-time. Now I'm gone 5 days a week and she... idk if she even noticed. >.>; She's a parrotlet though and she's pretty independent... sometimes. Like right now she's just chilling inside her cage even though the doors are wide open, other times she's attached to my sleeve. I also got her new toys and I always give her millet after being gone all day as an offering to her loool.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to leave for work one morning at 8am so I wake Leia up then, but otherwise I uncover her cage at 9am so I can keep her up later in the evenings.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I relate to this post. I currently work 100% remotely also. I just got an email yesterday offering me a spot in an office setting. I am so torn. I really prefer being home with my birds, but it would be a good idea to go for the job too. :blink:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
@fashionfobie I hear you! Honestly the flexibility has kept me in the same place much longer than I would like. But yes, we owe it to our beeps to be whole people. I also think we (the general population of AA) worry over our birds to the extreme, sometimes. Of course it comes from a place of love!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If you get the job I would mention to the employer you have a companion bird and ask if he would mind if you bring him a couple of days a week to work with you. You could have a smaller cage if your office has space for a "home away from home" for Waffle. It really depends on the whole situation of the layout of the office and whether or not there are other people in the surrounding area. They might be open to it. I worked in a gift shop the latter part of the 90's and took birds to work with me. I had a flight cage for my crimson rosella there so he had plenty of space. Smaller birds spent the day in smaller cages... babies that I was either hand feeding or finished with hand feeding. Some of the customers loved them and enjoyed having their photos taken with them. But in all honesty... the boss only knew I brought one to work... he lived out of state. It was a nice store and I enjoyed working there. After four years I got an offer to work in a gallery and told her on the condition I could bring my babies with me that were being hand fed. She said yes. I kept them in a decent storage room with portable brooder and used our microwave to mix my formula and hand feed during the day. I just had to establish a routine for myself getting things ready. It was a bit of an extra chore for a hectic morning but I was glad I could do it. You don't know until you ask!

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
@Mockinbirdiva I really appreciate the thought. I think it would be tough on Waffle because where we live, I would have to take her outside (in the cold) on a train, and then back outside in the city. But that is so great that you were able to make those arrangements!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva I really appreciate the thought. I think it would be tough on Waffle because where we live, I would have to take her outside (in the cold) on a train, and then back outside in the city. But that is so great that you were able to make those arrangements!
Ooo yeah.. I didn't know you had to travel by train. In that case I wouldn't do it. My job was 14 miles from home.. with 12 stop lights the whole way! The birds didn't mind the travel and a few times I got showered when they decided to take a bath while I was driving. Then I got smart and left the water dish out and filled it when I got to work.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That’s so funny. Maybe someday! Waffle does enjoy riding in the car. She gets very playful and chatty. One of these days I should take her on a road trip. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Waffle is an only bird and for so many reasons we are not prepared to get a 2nd.
Why not? It's not any more work to look after two birds than it is one. That is what Waffle will really need.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'd love to work remote...I can see how that would be hard to give up.