• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering an Eclectus

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
Hello !

I am here to gather some opinions on some of y'all Ekkie experts. . .
WARNING SUPER LONG POST AHEAD! Stay with me.... & help! lol

MY PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE:
I've owned birds all my life, budgies, parakeets, cockatiels, etc... My Mom currently has an African Grey so I'm familiar with the necessities of a medium size parrot. In fact, I helped with much of the handling the first year he was home (but then I moved out) and now Mom is his ONE PERSON and he hates everyone else. . . My husband and I previously adopted a Pineapple Conure, she was super smart, very cuddly, and easily clicker trained... BUT were unable to keep her in our for multiple reasons, so we ended up returning her to the original owner/breeder. I was totally heartbroken, and my husband promised at the time when we owned our own house maybe we could adopt another bird... 2 years later, and here we are 2 months into our large new single family home!
__________________________________________________ _

My husband had decided to gift me a bird for my birthday this year (in April).
He had selected a Solomon Island female (because i don't like the color green lol) Ekkie as the bird of choice... and was planning to purchase a baby in advance, and take me to the pet store to let me hold it once it was weaned before saying "SURPRISE ITS YOURS!"

However, We went to visit some Toucanettes and Aracaris a week ago (just for fun! I had no idea he was going to let me get a bird!) ... long story short I kinda fell in love with many of their qualities... They're quiet, super cuddly and no biting or plucking! After seeing me with the Toucanettes, he decided then and there he wasn't so sure anymore that he should pick a bird FOR ME since I'll be the main caretaker, trainer, and maid
LOL So he ruined his own surprise and told me I'd be allowed to get a feathered friend for my birthday this year.

To be totally honest, my husband HATED the conure's constant barrage of seemingly random screams... and the conure also bit his fingers bloody on almost daily occasions. We aren't sure what lead to these behaviors and I tried multiple avenues for diversion, training, etc to no avail. . . So - my husband did a lot of research in picking the SI Ekkie due to their speaking ability (which i Love in Mom's grey), more docile/calm nature overall, their relative quietness in parrot-speak (no 90 min screams), and the fact that they aren't really NEEDY birds like a cockatoo. I'm VERY MUCH drawn to the species once I was able to do some research on the over the last few days. . . However, I fear that while I may tolerate and even learn to respect their random screaming and hormonal biting - That my husband may not be so forgiving WHEN it does happen.

I AM TORN!
Should I go for the fun, trainable, talkative, gorgeous Ekkie that will occasionally bite, pluck and scream.... If so, is a Boy a better loving pet than a girl?
Or should I go with the safer bet of a small, quiet, cuddly Aracari toucan that won't present any of those issues (but will also arguably not be nearly as entertaining)... SIGH.... First World Problems y'all! It is like apples and oranges!!

HELP!!?!

PS - Our current family only consists of myself, my husband, and 2 doggies. An Aussie Shepard (4) and a lab mix (5). . . We live in a 2000+ sq foot home with huge open spaces, and I would plan to have my new bird free-flighted under supervision. I'd also like to do clicker training with any bird I would adopt as I found it to be great fun!

OscarTheAmazon

Meeting neighbors
Not all Parrots will bite, pluck and scream I actually never heard an Eclectus scream before anyways I have no experience but I heard Males are more friendly.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
Yes this is what I have heard as well. So currently leaning more towards an SI Male than a Female if I do decide to go that route :)

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
My ekkie screams MAYBE twice a day. She is a female. I've also had a male. My female is the sweetest thing. She is now 5 1/2 years old. I got her almost two years ago. She is sweet to everyone who comes in my house and will go to anyone that comes in the house. My male was mean and liked to bite. He now lives in a different home and gets along well with everyone there. It is going to depend on you and the bird. Any kind of bird. Honestly, some birds hate me (Amazons) and some birds love me (Macaws and Toos). My family wants me to find another ekkie because they are quiet. I want more macaws. My advice, take the time to visit with them if you can. You can tell even from a baby bird.

OscarTheAmazon

Meeting neighbors
My ekkie screams MAYBE twice a day. She is a female. I've also had a male. My female is the sweetest thing. She is now 5 1/2 years old. I got her almost two years ago. She is sweet to everyone who comes in my house and will go to anyone that comes in the house. My male was mean and liked to bite. He now lives in a different home and gets along well with everyone there. It is going to depend on you and the bird. Any kind of bird. Honestly, some birds hate me (Amazons) and some birds love me (Macaws and Toos). My family wants me to find another ekkie because they are quiet. I want more macaws. My advice, take the time to visit with them if you can. You can tell even from a baby bird.
You would have a different experience with Oscar he likes everybody lol

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
No - seriously. It must be a smell I give off. They don't like me and they bite me. It's okay though. Not everybody or everything has to like me.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
There are a lot of things to consider about Eclectus. Diet, tendency to pluck more than other birds when stressed or left alone etc. They are not cuddly birds..they do love to sit on you though. From what I have heard they don't scream as often as most larger parrots..Dobey does scream when he is afraid or startled. Not quite as loud as his "startled" scream is his flock call...which is VERY loud..hearing from the street loud. That means if you are in another room or across the room and he wants his flock closer he will let you know! Right now while typing this Dobey is asleep on my shoulder cause he doesn't want to be alone. I think they are very special birds that sadly because of plucking issues get rehomed a lot. Their special diet takes a lot of effort to make sure they are getting proper nutrition (they can't be given fortified foods to make up the difference. Females from what I have heard tend to get very hormonal but I have a male so maybe someone who has a female can address that issue. All I can advise is to read, read and read some more before you decide. Oh, the majority do not do well with rambunctious children.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
I usually have very good luck with birds when i go to check them out at pet stores. I am not sure if they can just sense i love birds, or if its the way I try my best to offer my hand or arm without fear of biting (even though sometimes that ends up in a mangled finger) lol. Cockatoos in general go CRAZY over me, and I know they are velcro birds as is - but one in particular I was able to teach 2 new tricks within a 20 min visit. He just LOVVVVED me.... But I just can't commit to that kinda neediness in my life right now.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
There are a lot of things to consider about Eclectus. Diet, tendency to pluck more than other birds when stressed or left alone etc. They are not cuddly birds..they do love to sit on you though. From what I have heard they don't scream as often as most larger parrots..Dobey does scream when he is afraid or startled. Not quite as loud as his "startled" scream is his flock call...which is VERY loud..hearing from the street loud. That means if you are in another room or across the room and he wants his flock closer he will let you know! Right now while typing this Dobey is asleep on my shoulder cause he doesn't want to be alone. I think they are very special birds that sadly because of plucking issues get rehomed a lot. Their special diet takes a lot of effort to make sure they are getting proper nutrition (they can't be given fortified foods to make up the difference. Females from what I have heard tend to get very hormonal but I have a male so maybe someone who has a female can address that issue. All I can advise is to read, read and read some more before you decide. Oh, the majority do not do well with rambunctious children.
Thank you! My husband and I have no children at this time. just out 2 dogs :)

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
If the dogs are indoor dogs thats needs to be considered. I know the family I rehomed Dobey from had really barky dogs that caused him a lot of anxiety

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
That was actually one of the only things (besides color) that made me lean more towards a female. They ARE inside dogs when we are home, but are placed in the garage when we leave on any occasion. They don't bark incessantly - but much like birds... Dogs are Dogs and gracie tends to bark if someone comes to our door unexpectedly and Jenna barks occasionally when she plays.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
"That was actually one of the only things (besides color) that made me lean more towards a female." what was that?

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
"That was actually one of the only things (besides color) that made me lean more towards a female." what was that?
I've read that they do not become as easily stressed as the males, probably due to the fact they are more independent/bossy

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Might take some reading on that issue. Its contrary to what I have heard from Ekkie parents so far. Could some people who have both chime in on this?

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
From my CONSTANT reading over the last couple weeks in several forums, websites, avian chats etc ...
Here are the most common conceptions I've read --- which of course are not a blanket statement for ALL Ekkies per say
Every bird is different and all that but... the majority of statements go along the following lines.

SI are the 'best ekkie pets" if you consider their calmer demeanor a plus.

MALES are sweeter, better talkers, and suffer more from horny bird syndrome than actual aggression during the peaks of mating season. There are more prone to stress, and typically pluck more often.
FEMALES are bossy/moody, but also hardier in regards to their environment. They keep more to themselves, and can be more independent than the males. They tend to be much more aggressive during peak mating season, and generally more bitey period. They are excellent talkers as well, but simply choose to speak less.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
If you have been reading for the last few weeks I would say you have acquired a lot of info. I'm glad you are here. If you have not already you sould go the the section of the forum about different species...maybe that could help. I only know my own experience and what I have seen on a FB group where people have both male and female "pluckers". Good luck with your decision. I know its a tough one.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
BUMP :)
Also - Would it be better to obtain a weaned baby a few months old OR adopt a female that already been through puberty??

Laura729

Jogging around the block
It's great you're doing lots of research! The sweetest bird I've ever known was a female Eclectus, and she stayed with me (long-term "boarding" while her mom was out of the country for work for 2+ years) during most of her sexual maturity phase, so like you said, they are all so different and have such individual personalities. :)
My ekkie boy Charlie is a sweet pea as well, and has such an amazing personality. He is very active, curious, mischievous, silly, and overall even more of a "handful" (and more of a "Velcro-bird") than my goffin!
Charlie (a rescue) does seem to adjust well to things, despite extreme neglect for years in his previous home, and I'd say the same about the female I
mentioned above (adjusts well to most things), as well as for one of the male ekkies at the rescue where I volunteer. But another male there, as well as a female that a fellow volunteer adopted a few years ago, are not at all as "laid back" (but of course this has a lot to do with previous homes and experiences), so again you never know for sure.
I always advocate for rescues or rehomes. There are so many birds that need homes. And you can hopefully find out a bit more about their overall personalities if you adopt an adult from a rescue. :)

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
Thank you very much for your reply! It certainly seems to be the luck of the draw... I went to visit a female ~Hatched 7/2016 on Monday and caught my attention for sure. She was very chatty, mostly adorable little sounds to herself. She wasn't very receptive to stepping up, and instead opted to grab my fingers with her claw and proceed to test out my chewy-ness. You guys wereN'T kidding when you said they have a tendency to "saw"bite! She didn't hurt me per say but she was definitely checking out how hard she could go before I took my finger away from her LOL. I was kinda irritated with a pushy salesperson there that came over and essentially almost knocked the Ekkie over to force her to step up to hand her to me. Ekkie was NOT amused, but played nice and perched on my arm politely... She's def not a fan of the head scratches, she let me know that quickly also. heh. There was a male there as well, he was pretty enthusiastic about stepping up, immediately running up my shoulder and chewing on my interesting jacket zippers. Not a talker as of yet from what I observed.

...Decisions Decisions...

I'd love to rescue if possible, but have been unsuccessful in finding any Ekkies in my area outside of bird shops. If anyone has any leads- please advise! Same with any possible Avian Vets in my area. I'm in Riverside County, Murrieta. I'm close to Temecula, Menifee & a bit farther drive to Northern San Diego County.
Thanks All!

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
I think since I've posted I decided for an cleats vs the Aracari... Just waiting to find the right girl to bring home and that is in my price range. The prices are pretty different! I've seen them as high as 2,400 (for a baby SI Girl) and as inexpensive as 1,200 (for a 10 yr old Boy).