• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering a GCC or BCC

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Georgia, 35 y.o., married, and work from home. I have a lifelong history with birds and have had linnies, zebra finches, and a Hahns macaw in the past.

I currently have a male parrotlet that I adopted a year ago from a family moving overseas. He is 3 years old and not your typical parrotlet: very cautious, insecure and prefers to be hands-off. His cage is next to my work desk and he tolerates my company from a distance but, no matter how slowly and gently I've worked with him, he remains fearful of hands. Despite being generally distrustful of people, I know he enjoyed the company of his flockmates (a dove and a lovebird) at his previous home-- all housed separately, of course. He's not aggressive in any way with my husband and me, just very fearful. Also he's not food-motivated or particularly responsive to my attention, so it makes it difficult to entice him to want to interact. It makes me sad that he doesn't seem to enjoy my company and is probably lonely for the presence of other birds. Because he's in my office, I spend about 8 hours a day with him on weekdays and 2 hours a day on weekends. If he was willing to be around the house with me, I'd have him out with me as much as he wished.

We are considering getting a second bird for a couple of reasons. Honestly we were hoping for a "family member" with our parrotlet but were surprised by his hands-off personality, and we'd love to find a bird who can enjoy interacting in all aspects of daily life: eating meals with us, harnessed walks outside, etc. I very much enjoyed my relationship with my Hahns macaw when I was a kid: she was a clown and was very loving to everyone in the family. Her noise level was admittedly a bit much for my liking, so I have been considering a quieter conure species (green-cheeked or black-capped) as our second bird.

I am interested in adopting an adult, and hoping for a bird that will enjoy supervised time out of his/her cage for the majority of the day. My only reservation is that I've heard GCC tend to be "one-person birds" and my husband and I are hoping for a fun-loving family member, which is why we're gravitating toward an adult bird-- so that we can have an accurate idea of his or her personality. We've also considered a cockatiel or a poicephalus (particularly a brown-headed parrot), but I may be allergic to 'tiels and unfortunately we can't find any pois to spend time with.

We love the playful, monkeying-around personality of conures. We're taking our time with adoption, because we want to stay patient for the right bird. I'm also trying to consider what's best for our parrotlet, and the possibility that housing 2 birds in the same room can be hit or miss.

I just wanted to say hi and thank you all for the resources offered on this forum while we consider our options.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello, and welcome to the Avenue!

Kodigirl210

Welcome and I would say it depends on what you mean by one person birds. We have a GCC and it’s true Isen is bonded to my daughter. This means my daughter can manipulate in any way and touch her everywhere. I’m 2nd in line (and this was by choice) so I can carry her around, play with her, feed her and give her scritches. The only difference is that I can not touch her everywhere or give her scritches anywhwere For me it’s restricted to the head and cheeks for scritches and her stepping up for touching. In the end that’s where you scritch adult birds anyway to avoid hormonal issues. Had we decided this was more a “family bird” then we would have changed how we did the bonding. Meaning in the beginning we would have spent equal time with her manipulating and holding her. Isen doesn’t try to bite me or attack or anything else. I’m just part of the flock just low on the totem pole lol.

Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for and again Welcome to AA! :goodluck:

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Brittany0208 and Kodigirl210. :) I got a bit scared reading about how GCC may claim one family member as their "mate" and act jealous/possessive against other family members. This is definitely something my husband and I don't want. I've always worked with my birds to avoid triggering hormonal issues: provide adequate sleep, remove nesting triggers from the cage, and restrict scritches to the head, and I haven't had issues so far. I should mention that although my husband is very open to our pets, I'm the one who pushed to get our parrotlet and who also wants another bird. So I'm definitely hoping for a bird with a low risk of drama. We had enough issues with my dog accepting him after we started dating many years back. :wideyed:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum :)

Does your parrotlet get lots of out of cage time?
I also have a fearful bird who does not like hands, but she is the more agressive type of fearful and will bite rather than run away, and she is easily triggered. Yet she does very well, I let her out daily and she will come and sit up on my shoulder or head and look around as I walk around my house like a tour bus.

We had enough issues with my dog accepting him after we started dating many years back
I had a similar issue but not extreme, in the end my man basically bribed the dog with dentastix. It´s a band aid, the dog doesn´t trust him like he trusts me, but he will minipulate my man into giving him treats, head scratches and food off his plate. :roflmao:

Good luck finding another bird to extend your family :fairy2:

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors
Does your parrotlet get lots of out of cage time?
Hi! Yes, his cage doors are open and he's free to come and go at-will anytime I'm in the room, so basically 8 hours a day on the weekdays and 2 hours a day on the weekends. I've set up the area around his cage with playstands and perches, so he does like to come out and explore but he typically doesn't stray far from his cage. If I make the slightest move toward him, he usually dives back to the safety of his cage (especially if my hands are involved at all). Maybe once or twice a week, he'll venture far away from his cage so that I can quietly ask him to step up and he will, and he'll ride my shoulder around the house.

As for my dog, she used to be SOOOO jealous of my husband (then boyfriend). But she finally came around to love him. ;-) Treats and belly rubs definitely helped.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm also in this predicament. Except I don't care if the bird is a one person bird as I'm chronically single, which is just fine with me! I met two baby BCCs the other day and the male immediately took to me. They will also have GCCs soon. Some people say BCCs are louder and some say they're quieter (in comparison to GCCs.) I know they'll make noise, that's fine, but how will I ever choose! I've pretty much fallen in love with the BCC baby boy, though hahah. I'm hoping a conure will be a friend for my lovebird, but not expecting any miracles.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
no matter how slowly and gently I've worked with him, he remains fearful of hands
Have you tried millet or other treats? Have you tried only feeding enough food for one day and working with your p'let first thing in the morning? Even if he doesn't take food, you can always refresh the food dish for the day and try again the next day. Have you tried just dropping a favorite treat down for him to take?

An Experiment with Budgies | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
"Self-Tamed" Cockatiels | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

My only reservation is that I've heard GCC tend to be "one-person birds"
You may find this more with an adult bird than a chick... unless you get lucky and find an adult that is social with various people.

Regardless if you get an adult or a chick, it will require training. :)

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

If you struggle with earning your p'lets trust, then having a tame/friendly bird around may help him get over his fear, even if he and the other bird can't ever be together. Birds generally do benefit from having other birds around and can learn from other birds. Monkey see, monkey do! ;)

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors
Hi Monica, thanks for your reply! I've had some success by reserving millet for treats and training. Although my parrotlet is not very food motivated, he will eat from millet spray if I hold it. I've definitely observed that hands are his main phobia. He will come out of his cage to sit near me, but as soon as my hand moves he's gone.

I'm leaning more towards a cockatiel than a conure at this point, but I need to spend some time testing my allergies first. I'm going to post in the Cockatiel forum about this. :)

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Cockatiels are great...not that I'm biased from having one or anything. :) I hope you're not allergic to them as they make such wonderful companions.