• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering a budgie

darwinparrot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
Okay so I have 3 amazing parrots that live with me. 2 macaws and an eclectus. My dad has a green cheek conure and my grandma has a cockatiel. My girlfriend has become fond of the birds and she wants one of her own. She has to be careful with my big guys because she takes blood thinners and cant really afford to get bitten hard. I was thinking a male budgie would be the perfect pet for her since the bites are mild and they are good pets once tamed and bonded with. I cant seem to locate anyone with handfed babies so we were going to go pick one out at one of the nicer pet stores. I have a nice big cage for him and we were going to spend time decorating it and finding a nice spot for it away from the big guys. Can I have advice and tips on getting her new bird to like her? I have not had budgies in a long time but mine always turned out quite friendly. Would love to hear some techniques and taming stories. Thanks in advance!

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
Is this budgie going to be owned by you or your girlfriend?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hi Jacob. Its very nice of you to be thinking of gifting your girl friend with a budgie. Will this budgie you are looking for be in the same house your birds are living in? It makes a difference in having big birds and little budgies together. Big beaks and little beaks do not mix well. I have two hand fed budgies and they still bite me once in a while but have never broken skin. Personally I don't think that hand fed birds are better behaved or friendlier than those that have been raised otherwise. Mine are English Budgies which are larger and generally more calm. Its a good idea for them to be in pairs because flock instinct is strong in budgies. I suggest you not get a bird from a pet store. Often those birds end up sick and or can infect other birds. If you are on FB this group can put you in touch with EB breeders.

English Budgie Classifieds Public Group | Facebook

You can also search pet finder as most of the birds there are from a rescue and need a good home. Craig's List is hit or miss. Some members have found gems upon searching. Surprisingly asking your avian vet may lead you to a little budgie too. If you attend or contact a show budgie breeder you can also find one or more for sale because not all the birds hatched make it to the show. Hope this helps and please update your post so we know how the search is going. The breeder of my two budgies has since retired. We do have a few budgie breeders on AA. @Budgiebonkers

Budgie Shows: Budgerigar Association of America - 2019 SHOWS

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Great advice above :)

I have recently purchased two young parent reared budgies and so far without pushing them they are happily sitting on my hand to eat when I have what they want and I sit still and have been doing this with them since the second day I had them here.
They definitely are happier in pairs.
Good luck in your search but please listen when it’s said that big and little shouldn’t be mixed together. Also read up and make precautions for your macaws and other birds.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I never could understand why people would remove healthy chicks from healthy parents and hand raise them just so that they would be "easier to tame"? As long as they are used to see people, and maybe are handled regularly once out of the nest, they should be secure enough. Even those who haven't been handled that much can be tamed easily.
Babies should be raised by their parents unless there are complications. Hand raised should be the exception.

Bri_:3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Briana
I never could understand why people would remove healthy chicks from healthy parents and hand raise them just so that they would be "easier to tame"? As long as they are used to see people, and maybe are handled regularly once out of the nest, they should be secure enough. Even those who haven't been handled that much can be tamed easily.
Babies should be raised by their parents unless there are complications. Hand raised should be the exception.
I do agree they aren't "easier to tame" but my baby budgie loves to be held because she is used to being held and seen by me and other people. I understand why people prefer a hand-raised budgie or bird because they can seem to make better companions and have better discipline.. and they are less prone infection

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
IMO a lot of birds in shelters or that are being rehomed dont have a chance

IMO birds in shelters or being rehome might not have had the chance to be better companions. Many are passed around so many times how could they be better companions? Any bird you add in your life takes time to adjust to new places.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I do agree they aren't "easier to tame" but my baby budgie loves to be held because she is used to being held and seen by me and other people. I understand why people prefer a hand-raised budgie or bird because they can seem to make better companions and have better discipline.. and they are less prone infection
She could easily be used to be held and seen even if she had had the chance to be raised by her parents. I feel this is as abusive as to clip their wings, or open the window when fed up with them. The whole concept of making them helpless so that they'd be easier to tame feels very wrong to me. They aren't toys, they are living creatures with feelings and needs.
Sorry, I don't mean to say you are doing anything wrong with your baby, you seem very devoted to her. This is more about today's use-and-trash mentality and what breeders are willing to do to satisfy customers that aren't ready to invest time nor energy in a little bird but still want to have one.

darwinparrot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
Is this budgie going to be owned by you or your girlfriend?
He will be owned by me. She isn't allowed to have pets besides her 2 dogs.

We didn't buy a handfed baby nor the english variety. I just picked out an 8 week old baby from a local pet store. He is friendly as can be and as someone who used to breed conures, lovebirds, and cockatiels when I was a kid I can attest that being handfed has little to do with tameness. There were times that a clutch got abandoned or the parents started picking at the babies and I pulled for handfeeding and it made no difference. What I found to be the most effective way of getting friendly babies is that the parent birds trust you and will allow you to handle their babies from a young age without any real problems. I would spend summer days singing and talking to the nestlings before their eyes even opened. I have bought handfed babies that were completely wild and parent fed babies that were as tame as possible. I always sent my babies home able to step up and be comfortable enough to eat millet from their new owners hands. It's one of the quality over quantity things. When you are breeding for money you can't possibly have a relationship with every baby you send home.