• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering a Buddy

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Long story short I have to get another job with more hours because reasons.

I spend almost all day with Kamara, when I leave for work I never leave for more than 4 hours. Because I will be working longer hours I've been strongly considering a friend/mate to keep her company when I'm away. Many years ago she had a mate but he died a long time ago so she isn't a stranger to the concept of being with another lovebird.
Would it be best for her friend to be around her age (as she is elderly) does male or female matter? Where should I begin looking.
Also I obviously won't make them be in the same cage until I'm 100% there won't be any issues with them being in the same cage.
Would this be best for her?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Company for a bird is never a bad idea. Even birds that don't really like each other find comfort in another bird in separate cages so they are not alone.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think I would try for an older bird. A young one might be too much for her to handle. Are there any rescues near you?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I think I would try for an older bird. A young one might be too much for her to handle. Are there any rescues near you?
Not that I know of, I've been searching Kijiji, Facebook and adoption sites from shelters and all I can find are younger lovebirds.

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I do think they like each other's company, even if they don't like each other. :rolleyes: Mine do not get a long with each other, but i do believe that they like the company of another bird. Their cages are right next to each other and they call to each other when one is out of sight of the other. Just consider that they may not get along, which adds to my birdie time because i have to spend time with each one separately.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I do think they like each other's company, even if they don't like each other. :rolleyes: Mine do not get a long with each other, but i do believe that they like the company of another bird. Their cages are right next to each other and they call to each other when one is out of sight of the other. Just consider that they may not get along, which adds to my birdie time because i have to spend time with each one separately.
I found a rescue with a 13 year old male lovebird. I was thinking of bringing her along to meet him but I wasn't sure if she could handle the 3 hour car trip even though she enjoys car rides.

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I've taken mine on care rides longer than that and they are fine with it. Not saying your little one would be, but it's possible.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
They're pretty resilient. I wouldn't fret too much. :) It'd be worth it to have someone to chat to all day that speaks her language.