1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Connecting and Communicating with your Highly Intelligent Parrot.

Discussion in 'The Training Court' started by JLcribber, 10/20/09.

1. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

:heart: Good read

2. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Nice read and makes sense. Thank you.

3. Sarah and Lenny

Sarah and Lenny Meeting neighbors

Sarah
    Such good info thank you so much!

4. BobbyC

BobbyC Strolling the yard

Man. You're like the Obi-Wan Kenobi of birds lol.

5. ConcettaParson

ConcettaParson Moving in

Concetta Parsons
    My parrot has improved a lot. We have a Automatic door opener in two rooms which is an easy push to open mechanic. It was installed for the ease of my brother who was in wheelchair for nearly 3 months. Recently my parrot has learned to open the door alone and fly around the rooms. Actually we didn't teach him to open the door, but he learned by mimicking us. We didn't know that he can mimic us this well. I think that he doesn't need any training. He's a born genius:)

Aggie and JLcribber like this.
  6. Aggie

Aggie Walking the driveway

Great article!

We have had our Eckie boy 6weeks now. The breeder let me visit and play with him before I brought him home. I'm not sure if it's the bird, the breed or my approach but things are going really well.

Each day he gets more affectionate and I get to do something new with him. He has already started to talk & whistle. If leaving the room and you call to him he will fly to me. He has even starred responding postively to the word 'no' if chewing something he shouldn't. He will either find something appropriate to chew or if I have to go over to remove him from something he will run or fly to me and be all cute and affectionate. I get little nibbles and cute little noises. Sometimes I feel this bird knows me better than I know him and really turns on the charm. Or maybe this is what Eckies are like?

Is it possible to have such progress in such a short time? Is it him? Is it the approach? I feel hes just amazing and want to expand on his ability. He starte talking at 5 months in only 5 weeks. I'm really carefully to not break the trust we have. I always go slowly with anything new and always praise good behavior. But I guess I don't always do the bird etiquette in the article.....but neither does my Eckie. My space is often invaded. Is it a breed thing?

Things are going so well and progress is very fast I am worried if he firstly gets enough stimulus especially when we are at work (I change toys and food offering frequent) secondly if im tapping into everything I possibly could be and thirdly am I missing something he is trying to communicate. I get lots of different noises from him at different times and not sure what they all mean. Most of them are very sweet and almost cooing in sound. Some sound inquisitive while others sound needy. If that's possible.

Any thoughts?

7. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Thank you. :)

Right now he is a very young, very impressionable bird. They grow up. Don't worry, this bird will cause you "many" hair pulling moments over the next 40 years.
    Knowing that this journey is 40 years long, you've been traveling for 6 weeks. Of course you can't "read" him yet because you don't know him yet. All these things will become self evident with time and observation. Familiarity takes time and there is no shortcut.

8. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    I am tagging someone who rescued an Eckie that was in bad shape. She may have some insight.

@Laura729

9. Aggie

Thanks!!

Guess its all the fun part of working each other out. I'm not sure but he does comes across as a bit of a sook. And I feel he begs to stay up when I put him to bed. The next day I almost get cries of you left me. Lol I could go on for 40 years of making stuff up of what he's trying tell me.

Are their certain ages you should try and achieve stuff by? Like when would be a good time to teach him tricks? Learn numbers and colours. At the rate hes going I feel I should be doing more but just going really slowly.

Sorry about all the questions. Really want to do everything right by this little guy. I just feel so lucky to be able to have such an intelligent creature share my life....and for 40 years!

Lady Jane likes this.
  10. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John

Start a new thread with your questions so it gets attention.

I personally don't "trick train" mybirds. Truth is yours probably won't learn numbers and colours without you becoming a very skilled trainer first. They aren't really that kind of bird

"Training" is a very broad term. Having a schedule is training. Consistency and routine is training. Knowing what to expect is training.

Rain Bow and Animallover03 like this.
  11. Laura729

Laura729 Jogging around the block

@Aggie it's great that things are going so well! As John mentioned, he is still a baby and his behavior could change as he gets older (Eclectus are known to be hormonal when they reach maturity), and it takes a while to fully know one another, but I also experienced a very quick connection/bond with my rescued Eckie boy, so it is possible. :xflove:

As far as species-specific eclectus traits, what I've learned is that every bird is different! My eclectus is quite an active, silly boy - if he isn't on me (which he'd like to be - he's quite a "velcro bird"), he's probably getting into something he shouldn't! He's actually more of a "handful" than my goffin cockatoo, which is NOT how I've heard many other Eckie parronts describe the species, so it always varies.

Eckies do often make the cute cooing sounds, and your boy is probably still trying out his "voice." By observing him when he makes these noises, you'll learn what he's trying to communicate (and hopefully he will learn that screams aren't always necessary, if he's able to communicate using his softer sounds :).

Start a thread and post some photos and updates when you get a chance! :)

12. Aggie

Thanks! I started a new thread:sadhug2:

Laura729 likes this.
  13. Alien J

Alien J Rollerblading along the road

Janet Rush Van Eyck
    You and me both!

JLcribber likes this.
  14. JLcribber

John
    I've got to say that after all these years we have learned to speak to each other. But what I've really learned is to listen. :)

15. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    Nerd and I understood each other perfectly after all the years we had together. He knew his name, pretty sure he knew my name and had a name for himself. We spoke Pionus together and I knew all his noises and made our favorites back to each other. He had certain games and things that had to be done certain ways or he'd be very put out. He trusted me fully and I respected his boundaries and tried not to take advantage of it too much. I rarely got bit and if I did there usually was a reason we both understood.
    Each bird is their own soul so they might be similar if the same species but their rules and body language and noises may be a bit different and it takes time to work things out together. Lurch was very scared and mad at first and I had to step back and earn his trust and learn to read him and let him learn to read and trust me. Dobby just loves everybody and is a very gentle and trusting soul so far with a mischievous little boy streak. He's pretty easy to read and prefers to step back and never bite, though he will fluff and bluff when put out.
    They have a lot to say and teach you and will listen and learn things right back if you take the time to listen and respect them.

Rain Bow, JLcribber and Alien J like this.
  16. Alien J

Alien J Rollerblading along the road

Janet Rush Van Eyck
    @Dartman Very nicely said. It must be wonderful to have relationships with several of these wonderful creatures at once.

Dartman likes this.
  17. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    Thanks, it's been a journey I'm glad I took. I got Lurch after Nerd left me and he escaped last April due to a dumb mistake and now I have Dobby with a few more precautions so it doesn't happen again. They all were/are happy and the first two chose me, Dobby truly adores my sister but likes almost everyone he meets.

Alien J likes this.
  18. JLcribber

John

This is exactly the kind of thing you can not teach or show anyone. You must have taken the journey. Gone through the potholes and over the bumps. Acquired scars. I look back and marvel that I've made it this far this long. And it's far from over. You nailed it Terry in explaining what it's like to live with/share your life with a parrot. Not just "own" a bird.

BertAllen, Rain Bow, Faith and 2 others like this.
  19. BertAllen

BertAllen Walking the driveway

Old thread but the John is right on. I have some learning ahead of me as Tinker continues to grow and mature.
    I'm sure he will continue to let me know when I get it wrong.

Dartman, Alien J and JLcribber like this.
  20. Thenatural

Thenatural Meeting neighbors

John
    Good form John.

Nothing funnier than the bird person that walks in a shelter for instance and says...oh birds just love me and here comes that Joe dirt moment and the hot chili lol.

It takes a moment and with a creature we will grow old with there's no need to rush.

I remember as a kid the first time I seen a macaw.

At a pet store a lady owned in town and she is still at it and has much knowledge of many animals.

She was a blunt woman and had signs...yes they attack.

Her macaws was wild caught and great birds until the hot headed person would come in and then they would dive bomb.

I was fascinated at them and how they refused to be anything less than birds and yet would give respect if given it.

That's why I prefer parent raised.

They know they are birds and refuse to humble but will still accept love from the genuine soul.

If I may ask John, how long you been doing this?

I sense you to be an empath as you pick up on the right things.

One love

BertAllen, Alien J and JLcribber like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)