• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerns with my new baby Budgie

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
So Minty (my baby budgie) is a sweet ball of fluff and love, but I do have some concerns. Whenever he/she gets in contact with my other bird (Nua) he/she seems to ask to be fed by her. Nua, doesn't take this kindly and feeds her only once, with the rest being bites it seems like. How should I teach Nua or how should I handfeed her? With a syringe and what type of blend? Minty is about a month old.

Thanks in advance for all for your help

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
A month old baby is much too young to be away from it's parents. At a month old, a baby budgie is just STARTING to peek out of the nest box, and might pop out to explore, but definitely not old enough to be eating on it's own. Are you sure you have the age right? Where did you get Minty? Baby budgies shouldn't go to new homes until they are around 8 weeks old.

If Minty hasn't previously been hand fed, then you won't have any luck doing it yourself, and please don't try. If you've never done it before, you can seriously harm your bird!

For now, make sure that Minty's cage is full of food and water dishes in several places. The easier access he has to food, the better.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
A month old baby is much too young to be away from it's parents. At a month old, a baby budgie is just STARTING to peek out of the nest box, and might pop out to explore, but definitely not old enough to be eating on it's own. Are you sure you have the age right? Where did you get Minty? Baby budgies shouldn't go to new homes until they are around 8 weeks old.

If Minty hasn't previously been hand fed, then you won't have any luck doing it yourself, and please don't try. If you've never done it before, you can seriously harm your bird!

For now, make sure that Minty's cage is full of food and water dishes in several places. The easier access he has to food, the better.
Thanks, I scattered millet sprays and put in 2 dishes of water, just in case one of them is used for bathing. I got her from a pet store who sold hand-tamed budgies. I phoned in and they said that he/she was a month to a month and a half old. I'll try my best to keep him/her entertained and fed properly.

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Hi I got a hand fed baby from a pet store. They hand fed him that morning but told me he would be okay and sent me home with him. He has been okay. He was eating on his own. I kept the perches closer to the ground for him. After just a day I read at that age they should still be with the other babies for a couple weeks. I had an older baby I got a couple weeks earlier who was a few weeks older when I had brought him home. When they met little baby cried to be fed. I was astonished that the older baby fed him. I have never witnessed that happening since. Shame on the pet shop for sending these babies home too soon in my case it worked out fine. My babies were from two clutches that had been hand raised together. I have the oldest and the youngest. I think that is why they sent me home with the little baby, I already had one of the babies.

Your baby will probably be fine. Keep doing what you are doing. I sprinkle seed on the bottom of the cage and in dishes. Nua’s when she bites at him may not be hurting him. Maybe just talking bird talk. I don’t really know. However I was feeding my babies millet from my hand and they started fighting. I positioned them so one was at either end of the millet with my thumb between them. Periodically they would fight over the millet attacking my thumb. It wasn’t real bites. It felt like tickling on my thumb with their beaks. Definitely keep a close eye on them and make sure Minty is actually eating and Nua isn’t actually hurting Minty. My guess is that Nua will always be the bossier dominant one in their relationship. Budgies are bossy squabble little parrots.