• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerning Cockatiels...

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
A few days ago I picked up a mate for my cockatiel Nigel. I have an agreement with a pet store where I buy juveniles from breeders, tame them, and then sell them to said pet store. The biggest pain is the drives to acquire the birds. On top of this, the return is only $25 for the cockatiels, which sucks because thats only about one item in the saltwater aquarium world (where EVERYTHING is overpriced). I figured that I would both raise my profit and lower my drives if I was to purchase a female. Having done so, I am now aware that this bird, while meeting all other requirements, is not very tamed, is this optimal? She (yet unnamed) has bitten me several times in our interactions (though today she seemed a lot less nippy and didn't bite me nearly as hard). I let Nigel perch (I set a perch on the outside of her cage) near her, but she has not returned much...I'll use the word "friendliness." How should their first free interaction be, I don't want any harm to come to either of them. Also, when should I introduce the nestbox, I'm thinking 1-2 weeks after their introduction?

Concerning the yet unnamed cockatiel: She is pretty cool, she isn't very coordinated though, she really likes to skitter about on the bottom of the cage with her beak touching the floor (strangely she always grabs a piece of food when she does this and it is always when she is resisting interactions with me). She doesn't eat millet so I can't really reward her, instead I've made her know I mean her no harm by lightly petting her back (sometimes she runs, others she doesn't), this, while not working on the scale as millet, has worked pretty well, I've seen some positive results in only day 2. She is really pretty, excluding a subpar clipping and a shoddy amount of tail feathers (I suspect she wasn't paid much attention to at the breeder who admitted she had never been handled before, however it was a score because she is a awesome looking bird otherwise, the breeder had 80 pairs (just of cockatiels, she had an incredible amount of birds) though, she said she could afford to give me this one before it went into circulation).

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't think you can really force them to interact and mate. It will either happen or it won't. There's always the chance they won't want to breed, or that they will not like each other at all, and then you'll just have to keep them separated.

Her not being tame might make your life difficult if there start to be issues when / if she does breed. For your own peace of mind, and certainly for hers, you might like to work with building her trust. Does she like any other sort of seed or treat type food? One of my lovies doesn't take to millet much either, but he's a fiend for sunflower seeds. The other one is the opposite.

Incidentally, I recall that you were having issues with Nigel biting. How is he?

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I think you should give this girl time to settle in. You're moving pretty fast and expecting a lot from a bird that has not only very recently been taken away from her old home/cagemates but also dropped into the middle of an unfamiliar environment. Personally I'm not a fan of trying to pet or handle birds that are obviously very scared, as I don't believe this sends a "I mean no harm" message at all. Instead all you are telling her is you refuse to respect her obvious body language by essentially stonewalling communication. I agree with @LunaLovebird that there would be less stress all around (if breeding does eventually happen) if you are willing to take the time to let her adjust and potentially become more tame. I also agree that introductions should be done slowly and you should let both birds decide if they want to become partners or just friends.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good advice Dom. Over time you may notice body language of the two birds and indications that they want to get closer and or interested/curious about each other.
My little birds that were in separate cages at first would scratch at the cage floor wanting to get closer to that other bird. In other words what I am saying is they will let you know.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
A few days ago I picked up a mate for my cockatiel Nigel. I have an agreement with a pet store where I buy juveniles from breeders, tame them, and then sell them to said pet store. The biggest pain is the drives to acquire the birds. On top of this, the return is only $25 for the cockatiels, which sucks because thats only about one item in the saltwater aquarium world (where EVERYTHING is overpriced). I figured that I would both raise my profit and lower my drives if I was to purchase a female. Having done so, I am now aware that this bird, while meeting all other requirements, is not very tamed, is this optimal? She (yet unnamed) has bitten me several times in our interactions (though today she seemed a lot less nippy and didn't bite me nearly as hard). I let Nigel perch (I set a perch on the outside of her cage) near her, but she has not returned much...I'll use the word "friendliness." How should their first free interaction be, I don't want any harm to come to either of them. Also, when should I introduce the nestbox, I'm thinking 1-2 weeks after their introduction?

Concerning the yet unnamed cockatiel: She is pretty cool, she isn't very coordinated though, she really likes to skitter about on the bottom of the cage with her beak touching the floor (strangely she always grabs a piece of food when she does this and it is always when she is resisting interactions with me). She doesn't eat millet so I can't really reward her, instead I've made her know I mean her no harm by lightly petting her back (sometimes she runs, others she doesn't), this, while not working on the scale as millet, has worked pretty well, I've seen some positive results in only day 2. She is really pretty, excluding a subpar clipping and a shoddy amount of tail feathers (I suspect she wasn't paid much attention to at the breeder who admitted she had never been handled before, however it was a score because she is a awesome looking bird otherwise, the breeder had 80 pairs (just of cockatiels, she had an incredible amount of birds) though, she said she could afford to give me this one before it went into circulation).

I'm not entirely sure of the point of this post....

It was posted in the breeders forum... so are you interested in breeding her? If yes, why are you trying to tame her? Generally speaking, pets don't make good breeders, and breeders don't make good pets.

If you mean to tame her, then it shouldn't matter if she gets along with Nigel or not.

Petting her on the back could mean that you either want to eat her, or you want to mate with her. Neither is a good thing.

Is she even old enough to breed? She needs to be around at least 2 years old before you even attempt to consider breeding her. Not only that, but she needs to be on a healthy diet, preferably flighted (flight can help to increase the muscles required for egg laying, thus helping to prevent egg binding), etc.

You also talk about raising profits.... you do realize that breeding birds is *NOT* profitable, right? You need handfeeding formula, a brooder, thermometers for food and "room temp", possibly a hygrometer (prevent dehydration in chicks by keeping humidity up), syringes, possibly sub-q fluids, experience in hand feeding and weaning.

If the parents neglect, abuse, or overfeed the chicks right after hatching, this means that you'll need to feed every 1-2 hours around the clock for at least a few days. This means that you wont be getting any sleep. Are you capable of doing this? If you work, and you work away from home, then breeding is not a good idea.

Forgive me if this comes across as rude... but your last post (about cockatiels) was talking about rehoming Nigel because he was not the bird you wanted him to be. You have decided to keep him, but now you are trying to profit off of him?

wasabismom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
Just trying to add a maybe less harsh answer and try to make a helpful suggestion... But I'm am not a breeder and I have not bred my birds... Maybe buy a big flight cage (like HQ flight cage) and put lots of food bowls and let them live together and become friends first. I would give them lots of time and still handle Nigel... If the female doesn't want to be handled it's OK. If they like each other they will sing and feed each other. Maybe let them live together happy for awhile with no pressure and getting used to everything new together. I do think what others wrote have some good advice on all that could happen.

wasabismom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
I'm sure Nigel likes having a friend. Bonds will come with time.