• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerned about these birds

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm hoping the new bird just was clipped and they weren't aware of that and that's the only reason he can't fly - a broken blood feather would suggest it's clipped as well.
Yelling at anyone for animal cruelty won't help; it will only make people defensive, especially when they probably mean no harm.

Suggesting a new cage along with a link to where they could get a large, inexpensive cage online (like a prevue flight) might be helpful - many pet stores do not sell large cages or have them very overpriced, because they are bulky and take up a lot of space where they could sell more profitable items. None of the pet stores around where I live sell anything larger than 20x20 cages even though they sell birds as large as cockatiels and sun conures, so a person could be forgiven for going to a store like this, buying one of the largest cages they have, and thinking it's ok for 3 budgies.
I hate seeing budgies in little cages because they are so hyperactive, but until someone actually sees them flying and playing in a bigger cage, the little ones don't seem so bad. They just don't try to fly in them.

Also its worth suggesting that they move all the toys and perches around in the cage, so it looks like a new territory, so it doesn't feel like the new one is invading an established territory.

anne0102

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
anne
Sorry I posted a link to the video, I didn't know that wasn't allowed on here after reading the rules section, I must have missed it.

The girl has since added a new video asking for help saying the bird's feather had blood. Someone advised she take it to an avian vet but she replied they don't have one yet. A larger cage for 3 birds has been suggested too. I'm wondering if the new bird's wing is injured due to fighting with all 3 of them trapped in one small cage like that, no possible way to get away from an attack :( Hoping her mom will read the comments and either get her a larger cage or a second small one for the new bird to go in, plus find a vet asap.

Thank you to whoever 'Maddy' is, if she is someone from here, because she gave the girl lots of good advice about bigger cages.

My comments are based on the information provided. I have not seen the video. It would have been helpful to know the mother tried to separate the birds immediately and the injury of the broken wing was old???? I feel like I am watching fake news with alternative facts.

I am passionately against all forms of animal cruelty. It definitely brings out the worst in me....
The mother just put her hand in the cage in between the birds briefly as the new one was being attacked, she didn't separate them, unfortunately. The injured wing doesn't appear old because the bird continually tries to fly as though it's used to being able to. She did say they got in a 'huge fight' and the bird 'almost died'. So I'm guessing that's how it became injured, but how the mom couldn't take it to a vet at that point I don't know.

Last edited: