• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerned about these birds

anne0102

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
anne
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, sorry if not. I've come across a child posting video's on you tube of her budgies and got concerned when she puts a 3rd new bird in the same small cage already housing 2 birds. One tries to attack it and the poor thing has no escape.

That was bad enough but I guess she doesn't have anyone giving her guidance about these things? Although her mom is in one video.......then I see a video posted today of this latest bird who now can't fly and she thinks it has a broken wing. At the end you can clearly see it's left wing hanging down strangely?

What do you think I should do? I'm not a bird expert and don't feel comfortable saying anything to her, but I also feel responsible to try to help the bird because I've seen it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I don't know how to help but this film breaks my heart. There are many people out there that shouldn't have pets, especially birds. This family shows no concern for this poor little birds hurt wing and the pain it's probably in. I won't even go into the horribly small cage.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
All you can do is urge her to separate them for the birds' safety and suggest vet visits for the injuries. It is very sad but if she doesn't know better someone needs to tell her. If she hears it enough, she may listen.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Looked at your post again. Do you know how to reach this person ? If so I would tell her the bird needs a vet and at the very least it's own cage to be safe and recover in. If it's wing is hurt it shouldn't be encouraged to try to fly. This really got under my skin!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Can you post a link to the Youtube video?

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I would try to figure out who they are and contact SPCA... contact youtube and report them for animal abuse. It is sickening and heartbreaking... People like that should be drawn and quartered.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I would try to figure out who they are and contact SPCA... contact youtube and report them for animal abuse. It is sickening and heartbreaking... People like that should be drawn and quartered.
Unfortunately I've found (from personal experience) that contacting the SPCA is practically useless. If the video is from one country and posted on Youtube the SPCA considers it out of their jurisdiction even if the video was taken and posted in their country (in my case Australia). I don't consider the local Humane Society/Animal control where I live to be much better more so when it comes to wildlife let alone pets. If the poor birds have water and food it isn't considered abuse or neglect.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
And hanged until almost dead ...

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Can you post a comment on the video YouTube page?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For people wishing ill on this person - they are a child.... like 10 years old. The parents are likely going off of the advice of pet store staff and don't know any better. They weren't being malicious. Just uninformed.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
For people wishing ill on this person - they are a child.... like 10 years old. The parents are likely going off of the advice of pet store staff and don't know any better. They weren't being malicious. Just uninformed.
You may be right about the child but an adult should be able to tell when an animal is in distress.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You may be right about the child but an adult should be able to tell when an animal is in distress.

I saw the video before it was removed. As soon as the birds started fighting the mom tried to intervene and separate them. In the other video where the girl thinks the birds wing is broken, she seems to think broken as in an old injury, or as a genetic defect, not as a fixable injury. It looked off, like Koopa's naturally did, but I didn't watch the whole thing to see if it looked worse farther on.

I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying that reactions like this with little information is likely why we're not allowed to post the video on here.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I saw the video before it was removed. As soon as the birds started fighting the mom tried to intervene and separate them. In the other video where the girl thinks the birds wing is broken, she seems to think broken as in an old injury, or as a genetic defect, not as a fixable injury. It looked off, like Koopa's naturally did, but I didn't watch the whole thing to see if it looked worse farther on.

I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying that reactions like this with little information is likely why we're not allowed to post the video on here.
Also, sometimes the poster will write a description of the video.
So just by watching the video, we don't always get the whole story.
Hoping that it could be informative for young or new bird parrot and , perhaps that was the reason for the post to alert people of what can happen.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
My comment was not meant to be taken literally. Having said that... She clearly states the mother can be seen in one video. This 10-year-old is smart enough to post videos asking for help, but not smart enough to separate them?

It's common sense... clearly, the bird is injured and bleeding - she left them in there to fight like roosters in a cock fight??? She should have separated the birds once they started fighting, just like any other household pets... would people defend her if she had locked 2 dogs in a room?

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
My comments are based on the information provided. I have not seen the video. It would have been helpful to know the mother tried to separate the birds immediately and the injury of the broken wing was old???? I feel like I am watching fake news with alternative facts.

I am passionately against all forms of animal cruelty. It definitely brings out the worst in me....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My comments are based on the information provided. I have not seen the video. It would have been helpful to know the mother tried to separate the birds immediately and the injury of the broken wing was old???? I feel like I am watching fake news with alternative facts.

I am passionately against all forms of animal cruelty. It definitely brings out the worst in me....

All I am saying is what I saw based on the video. Not trying to make up facts, and neither was anyone else on this thread. The point is, some people made interpretations based on things said, while others made them based on watching the video, and the truth is likely somewhere in between like always.

The point of the thread was to find constructive ways to help this person so she can help her birds. Not to start a lynch mob.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just watched another of her videos where she has the parakeet, laying calmly in a towel getting scritches ...and in the comments the child owner said "she loves getting scritches in the morning but today she is really tired because she lost alot of blood yesterday from a blood feather" :(
I hope the bird will be okay.

I saw the video yesterday, and I found it a little disturbing to see them all put into that small cage and the little scuffle. But I agree that she's just an uninformed child but she seems to care about the birds. I wish someone could teach her a little but I'm no good with words so it shouldn't be me.

Last edited:

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I think the child was/is a member of this or another forum I am on. I recognize the bird name and the video (not having seen it). From a year agoish?