• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Concerned about my cockatiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyanimal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
Before anyone says anything, I do not have an avian vet in my province.

My cockatiel started laying eggs earlier this week. She laid one one day and the following day laid another. They both broke and the shells were extremely soft. I cleaned up all the area and did everything I could to prevent her from laying. Things were fine and then yesterday she sat on my chest for cuddles and laid another one right there. I figured I'd give her a box and let her go through the ritual since trying to avoid it wasnt' working. She never bothered with the egg and seemed okay.

Then today she is sleepy and not eating. She is drinking but her poops are runny and kind of like a tan color instead of the green. I presently have her in a fish tank with a heating pad. I've given her pedialyte and handfed her some baby food. I even crushed up some cuttlebone and gave her that with her pedialyte.

I did check her and she is not egg bound. There is no egg in her pelvic area at all.

I am not sure what to do with her. I have no avian vet in my province.

Any suggestions?

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Maybe she needs extra calcium. Can you shave some cuttle into her good?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
if she isn't egg bound, then maybe a egg broke inside her, since there were soft shelled eggs?

at this point Try even a cat/dog vet Some see birds, no they're not avian (I don't have an Avian vet in town either So when I have to I do use the cat /dog vet that sees birds)

the tank/heat pad is a great idea.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
if she isn't egg bound, then maybe a egg broke inside her, since there were soft shelled eggs?

at this point Try even a cat/dog vet Some see birds, no they're not avian (I don't have an Avian vet in town either So when I have to I do use the cat /dog vet that sees birds)

the tank/heat pad is a great idea.
Agreed.

If an egg broke inside her you would not be able to feel it. If that's the case she's going to need medical help ASAP.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If she's laying soft shelled eggs, she could be calcium deficient or vitamin D3 deficient. What's her diet like?

I know someone else who currently has a hen that may have egg peritonitis (although I can't confirm, he's new to all this, easily confused, and freaking out) and he's been treating his tiel with Baytril (perhaps not the best thing?)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you get an antibiotic? Clavamox or Baytril? And I agree any vet at this point is better than no vet.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
if she is laying soft shelled eggs she is definitely calcium defcient..order some calci boost...you can get it at healthybird.net they can express it..that is a canadian site..also try to get some false eggs..ifyou cant even a marble a white marble will fool her...however, I do recommend calling a regular vet..some of them are "bird friendly"...and explain ..she may have egg yolk peritonitis which can be deadly..keep her warm..a box isnt necessary..a paper towel on the grate....however they do have very large runny poops when laying eggs...you must let her have at least one egg to nurse or she will keep laying to replace...any more questions pm me pleass if you like

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
What type of lighting do you have inside? Lighting can have great impact on the quality of the shells on an egg. If does not matter how much calcium is given to the birds, if there is not good lighting to help convert D3 to assimulate calcium.

The best sources of lighting are access to real sunlight (not thru glass) several times a week, or full spectrum lighting (Vita lights)

Status
Not open for further replies.