• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Commencing clicker training with Charlie.

TheRealMacaw

Sitting on the front steps
I've never tried clicker training with Charlie, hes always been a picky eater and never really took anything from us reliably as a treat. Often he will look at it, then just turn around and walk off, even facing the other way on purpose.

Edit> Actually I did try it once, but he wasn't interested in the treat, and I hadn't done as much reading and hadn't charged the clicker etc back then.

I read online that they often like raisins so I tried him on one, and he couldn't get enough.

So I tried cutting them up in to small pieces and he was eating them from my fingers every time. :omg:

I want to have the treats in a container rather that use my fingers. Easier to hold small treats, and I won't risk a nip that way either, or risk dropping the small treat etc.

So I went rummaging and found one of our kids drink container lids, bright pink so it will be obvious to Charlie what it is for. I put the cut up raisins in that and he got the idea straight away, even walking to where I was holding it to get some.

The only problem is the time it takes him to eat them.

Next up, it will be time to start clicking and rewarding to "charge the clicker". Can this be done anywhere, ie with the bird on me, on his cage, in his cage etc? To get him used to expecting a treat when he hears the click!

TheRealMacaw

This morning I started the clicker charging process. Charlie lost his interest in the pink cup, lunging at it when it came near. That's the first time I have seen Charlie lunge at anything.

Changed to using my fingers to hold the treats, cut up two dried raisins in to little pieces and clicked/rewarded about 15 times before ending the session.

I'll give him another go at it this afternoon. I plan to take my time with it to ensure the he is getting the idea fully that when the clicker sound happens, he gets a treat. Then move on to step up.

He already willingly steps up and hops off by saying on/off and the only time he uses his beak is to make sure my finger/hand is steady. Mostly when he is hanging on the side of his cage and my hand is not coming to him equal with his feet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds like he's doing great so far! I've been using praise or just the word "good" as the bridge, but I've been thinking I should try a clicker for consistency. I've been hesitant in the past because it seems like a lot to hold in addition to a prop (like a target stick for instance) and treats.

I haven't ever thought to use raisins. I think I might give them a try. It's hard to find something my birds go head over heels for.

TheRealMacaw

I had tried other things for the treats, but Charlie would just look at it, turn around and walk off, then just sit there with his back towards me. Pretty clear what he means by that move. :D

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I palm the clicker in the same hand as the treat or keep them in my pocket. There are also treat holders used with dog obedience you could look into.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Odin is the same way, he has no go to treats for training ... Yet

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
Wow, I'm surprised how many people find it challenging to find the right treats. My 2 ringnecks treat anything that comes from a hand as the best thing ever! I can even get them to eat vegetables they don't like by hand feeding them.

The things mine tend to go crazy for is almost any fruit, peas and corn, as well as almonds. I have yet to meet a ringneck who doesn't like passionfruit (but it is messy and takes ages for them to eat). I like to alternate treats, like a couple bits of fruit and then one pellet. Parrot roulette sort of thing..