• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Combating "My Bird Would Just Destroy That Toy"

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I am doing a Pet Day thing this weekend at Tractor Supply. Just heard about it and decided today. Rushing to get things around. I would like to make available a flyer of some sort about the importance of toys for parrots. Any suggestions on short but informative ways of getting the message across?

When I sold some of my toys at a garage sale people kept making the remark of "oh, my bird would just destroy that, what a waste of money!" so I want to educate people on why that's good!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Things I might want to touch on (writing notes to remember later)

If the toy isn't easy for the bird to destroy, they may ignore it, leading to the false impression that a bird doesn't "like" toys
Destruction of toys can prevent issues like screaming, plucking, and household damage.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
You could always equate it to dogs and cats, too. Like a dog's chewing or a cat's scratching, bird chewing is a natural behavior that needs to be productively encouraged to prevent other, more destructive behaviors. A dog that chews that isn't given good chew toys is going to go after shoes and furniture. A bird that isn't given good opportunities to chew and destroy will turn those behaviors onto their feathers or, if they're allowed out of their cage, on household items.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Any suggestions on short but informative ways of getting the message across?
Definitive something that reminds them of better to chew on and destroy toys then to get the furniture's.
And a happy parrot is a toy playing parrot. Make my day - Give me a new toy. :D

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Parrots are built to destroy things, it's in their nature and therefore nessesary for a happy bird!

Unlike cats and dogs, who have been domesticated, parrots are still very wild and in the wild they would be destroying things all day, so I'm trying to give birds the most natural life as possible -maybe some stuff along these lines?

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I'm trying to think of a good one that no one else has said yet...
This may not be the best argument, but I can honestly say that I find it so satisfying when I come home from work and find all sorts of shredded toy bits on the bottom of the cage. A busy beak is a happy beak. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
A parrot's purpose is to shred the top of the rainforest canopy to mulch and plant the forest floor. If your bird doesn't have safe branches to destroy, it needs some toys. Parrots aren't domestic pets: you have to view them from a zookeeper's perspective and provide environmental enrichment.

Not sure you can use that, but it's how I feel.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I could also liken aspects to children. If you give a child a doll and it doesn't like dolls, then that doesn't mean the child doesn't like toys, it just means it doesn't like that type

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How does this sound?

Did you know that most parrots are only a few generations removed from their wild relatives?

In the wild, they would spend the majority of their day looking for food, socializing with their flock, flying, and chewing wood and plants. They are messy and destructive by design; their actions help feed the animals below and fertilize the soil. Think of yourself more of a zookeeper than a traditional pet owner! And yes, if you have a cockatiel, budgie, or parakeet, you have a parrot!

“My bird will just destroy that toy.”

Good! That is the purpose of the toy! They stimulate the bird in ways that are instinctual for them, to keep their brain and body busy. It is mentally and physically healthy for them to destroy toys. Remember, if they are destroying toys, they aren't destroying your furniture!

“My bird doesn't like toys.”

If you gave a child a doll and it didn't like it, do you assume that the child doesn't like ALL toys, or is it more likely it simply doesn't like dolls? Birds have preferences too! Often if a toy is too difficult to master or destroy, they will ignore it versus expending more energy on it. Maybe your bird prefers balsa, bells or leather lacing. A toy with a variety of textures is a good way to figure out what your bird likes!

“Are toys really necessary?”

Yes! Birds are highly intelligent animals and it is physically and mentally unhealthy to not have access to toys. If they can't expend energy and brain power on toys, they might develop unwelcome behaviors like screaming, plucking, or destroying items you don't want destroyed. They are as important to a bird's well being as food and water – really!

A busy beak is a happy beak!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Added in
"Chewing also helps keep their ever growing beaks in good condition."
into the “My bird will just destroy that toy.” section

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Looking good!!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think you've got some great, educational elevator pitches advocating the importance of bird toys. :laughing12:

Even if I don't sell a single toy but change someone's mind I will be happy :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The title on the banner in huge letters should be "Oh, my bird would just LOVE to destroy that". Tag line: Destroy our toys. Not your furniture.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The title on the banner in huge letters should be "Oh, my bird would just LOVE to destroy that". Tag line: Destroy our toys. Not your furniture.
I really like that! :)

And all sounds good @Mizzely :)
If they can't expend energy and brain power on toys, they might develop unwelcome behaviors like screaming, plucking,
Great! I forget that. Plucking is very important to mention. A bird without toys will over preen and that is so sad.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps it's worth adding something about it making it more fun for the bird's human? I love watching Leia interact with her toys - hanging upside down on them, manipulating beads with her beak and tongue, carefully and systematically making toothpicks out of a pine block, sinking her beak into balsa, ripping up cardboard bagels - and it's fascinating to see the different ways she plays with different toys. She's currently hanging upside down from her new Avian Stainless toy, rattling it and making happy chuckling noises at it, and she's so clearly having fun that I can't help but laugh.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Perhaps it's worth adding something about it making it more fun for the bird's human? I love watching Leia interact with her toys - hanging upside down on them, manipulating beads with her beak and tongue, carefully and systematically making toothpicks out of a pine block, sinking her beak into balsa, ripping up cardboard bagels - and it's fascinating to see the different ways she plays with different toys. She's currently hanging upside down from her new Avian Stainless toy, rattling it and making happy chuckling noises at it, and she's so clearly having fun that I can't help but laugh.

My only issue with this is that it's not a tangible thing for most people. If they are already not buying toys just because they get destroyed, then I'm guessing they don't get that satisfaction from it.

My area is very much the "let your cats wander, dogs stay outside, birds stay in cages" area sadly.