• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Colors

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Okay, I know these fids are smart but wow! I decided that Tori needed something more challenging to do than chewing on a piece of wood, capturing, and targeting so...I thought why not teach her colors? Birdie equivalent of Trig or Algebra eh? That should give her brain something to do. I don't want her to get bored and decide that screaming and eating my house is a fun idea! :rolleyes:
I took a red and blue sharpie and did 3 training sessions for about 4 minutes each today. After she touched red several times, I wanted to see if she really got the idea. I mixed up the blue and red sharpie (one right in front of her as bait, and the other off to side) I asked for red. She would often just grab the blue one when it was bait but by the 3rd session, she actually picked the red one that was off to the side. WOW She did that twice! She would pause for several seconds before choosing. I though it was really neat to watch her think. I stopped there to end on a good note.
Now, she probably doesn't "know" what the word "red" is but she's getting the concept that there's a difference I think. Tomorrow, I'll ask for blue instead of red. I'm very curious to see if she can actually figure this out.
Yay, birdie brain experiments. :D It must have tired her out as I was hoping it would. She ate her dinner after the session and is now passed out on her swing. It's only 6:30! :sleeping4:

:teacher: :gwm: (hhhmmmmmm....almonds)

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They can learn colors :) It takes them a while, though, because they seem to naturally organize objects by position, which makes sense considering that foraging is more about where the food is and how to get at it. But, yeah, they can differentiate by color once they get that's what you want.

Here's a really old video of my Hahn's playing with their color rings :D Sonny was just learning; Max had a better idea of what was going on.