• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Color training with lovebird

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
hi everyone!

Three days ago I started to give my lovebird a red bead and told her 'red' and reinforced if she touched it, which was Always of course cause she is such a curious little lady!

She does not really like learning tricks(not a lot of conceteation), she likes flying a lot more so I do that most of the time but now I want to see what I can teach her concerning intelligence, she really enjoyed the training so that is Great!

It has now been three days and if I present three beads, red, green and yellow and say red, she touches or throws the red one out! I am so excited! I am also training her to recognise the green one right now. Then I Will try to generalise it to all red objects. I also want to try if I can teach her what paper is for example. Sadly the next week there won't be a lot of training but I Will continue after that!

Has Anyone else taught their loverbird Something like this? I think it is really interesting! I Will try to make a good video but that is a little difficult as I mostly use both hands

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That's awesome, what a smart little girl!:fairy2:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hi!
I just wanted to update cause he(for three years I believed he was girl! Turns out he is just a diva:D) a lot more! I trained very irregular for a long time but recently I picked it up again.

He now knows which color red is, I give him a number of different Colored objects(mostly straws, caps and beads) and he Will point out the red one.

I started to train with green again two days ago, and he can distinct between red and green already! If I have them both in my hand I can rotate the question I ask(I ask either for red or green). I Will try to post a video soon!

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
That is wonderful TikiMyn! I haven't trained my birds to do anything but step up, down, kiss and sing/dance. We've just done what they want to do (yes we are suckers) and let them. I know Tito loves purple, it's the only color he chews, licks, etc.

What a fantastic parront you are and your birds are so lovely and smart!! I heart them!! LOL. :loveshower::loveshower:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you soo much for saying that! Really made me happy! Henkie and Fëanor are flattered:D

I have not taught them a lot of tricks either yet:)I did mostly recall, harass training, step up(Henkie fell ill, and one of his feet has never been the same, and he can't really grasp Anthing with it, so we did kind of balance training. I don't know if it was the training or just him healing, but now about two years later he has been using it a lot more:D) and teach him to play with toys or new foraging stuff:)
I love it that you just let your birds do what I want, I kind of do the same! My only rules are that they have to forage for (almost all) their food and that no force is to be used:)

Ahw Tito! So cute that he has a favorite color! :heart: I have not noticed that with my birds, but I would love to know:rolleyes: tomorrow I am going to make Some of the same toys only all in a different color and Maybe I Will notice that they have preference too!

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Mine love purple marbles, beads, etc. When we get the colored wood toys, he zooms for purple! Sola loves anything green. I haven't figured out if the others have any but I believe Carmen likes blue.

Your ducks are seriously very very adorable! I raised one of my chickens the others were rescue. People don't like to keep their ducks, chickens, etc. after a few years and they lose interest. Makes us all sad so when I see what you've done, it makes me HEART YOU!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That's awesome! You are doing really well with them, and it's great you are providing so much enrichment for them!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Mine love purple marbles, beads, etc. When we get the colored wood toys, he zooms for purple! Sola loves anything green. I haven't figured out if the others have any but I believe Carmen likes blue.

Your ducks are seriously very very adorable! I raised one of my chickens the others were rescue. People don't like to keep their ducks, chickens, etc. after a few years and they lose interest. Makes us all sad so when I see what you've done, it makes me HEART YOU!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Thank you so so much!!:heart: I love it that you rescued those chickens, I love chickens as well, and it hurts so much to see so Many people Treat them like objects and toys:( I volteered(technically still do but I don't have the time anymore:D) at a bird rescue, they got mostly wild birds and small animals, but also loooots of chickens, ducks, swans and geese, and a lot of the time their wings were permenantly clipped, I don't know the word in English. It Always warms my heart if someone gives one of those animals a chance at a good and happy life!:heart:

All your birds sound so amazing with all of their preferences and Tito's escapes:D they are full of personality! They are very lucky that they found a Nice spot with such a great parront see to their wishes and demands!

That's awesome! You are doing really well with them, and it's great you are providing so much enrichment for them!
Thank you! I try to do the best I can and Henkie loves it, he gets so excited that instead of just touching the beads, he throws them all over the room, then I have to get them and he watches, I can tell he is thinking that he did a very good job training me!:rofl:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I was just doing the 'string test' with Fëanor, I knew he would succeed but we all have to do a research project for school and Mine is about lovebird intelligence:) the test is that there are two strings, one has food tied to the end, the other is empty and they have to pull the right one in. I hung two strings from a branch, one had a newspaper roll at the end, and fea actually pulled it up! He didn't climb down to get it, he just pulled it up like a big parrot! Do your small birds do this as well? It is so cute!