• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Color coming off perch

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Is this normal for a perch to have color I just put water on it and this comes off of the perch, note it is a dowel perch

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes that is pretty normal in my experience :)

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Yes that is pretty normal in my experience :)
So it’s normal for it to have color, is it parrot safe though? My mom wants to keep the perch but I don’t think he should have it if he chews on it because of the color.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I just washed my regular perch,they are dirty

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So it’s normal for it to have color, is it parrot safe though? My mom wants to keep the perch but I don’t think he should have it if he chews on it because of the color.
It's not colorant, it's just a natural part of wood, some more than others. There are tannins and such in woods that will leech out after it gets wet.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
It's not colorant, it's just a natural part of wood, some more than others. There are tannins and such in woods that will leech out after it gets wet.
Just in case I may not put it back, my mom wants to but I personally don’t because what if he chews on the wood eventually or gets it stuck on his foot? I tried looking it up but yeah it doesn’t come out about it. Plus it’s already bad enough he chewed off a blanket my mom put.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Every wood will leech a little. If you go outside and grab a stick and put it in water, the water will turn a little brown after some time. Some trees will turn it very brown.

Dowels are made from trees with lower tannic acid, and so they don't leech as much and it's lighter colored.

Obviously do what you are comfortable with; I just want you to understand what you're seeing so you can make an informed decision. Dowels aren't great for their feet if given as the only option. That's more of a health risk than the tannins.