• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Color Change With First Molt

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
Bobby 4.5 Mos..jpg Bobby 5.5 mos.jpg

So this is my new baby Bobby. Would love your feedback as to your GCC changing color with their first molt. The first picture was taken before he started losing many feathers at the age of 4.5 months. The second picture was taken a few days ago at 5.5 months as he is now going through his first molt. As you can see, he started with a very red cheek and the new feathers coming in are primarily green. Also his chest was bright red to start, and the new feathers are quite a bit lighter. This doesn't bother me in the least, but I am a bit surprised as he is my first conure and I didn't expect this to happen. Did your yellow-sided Green Cheeks go through this color change as well? I did have a Peach-Faced Lovebird and his feathers changed with each molt as he got more yellow feathers with each molt (he was gorgeous!). Thanks!!

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
I have a GCC very similar to yours. I've had him for nearly nine years. I remember his colors have changed over the years with his moults, ever so slightly. He has a white ruff now which looks quite impressive. He never had that when he was a baby. I don't think it's uncommon for GCC to have slight changes in coloring as they get older. Mine did, and he's as healthy has a horse.

Just want to add that your baby Bobby is just beautiful!

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
I have a GCC very similar to yours. I've had him for nearly nine years. I remember his colors have changed over the years with his moults, ever so slightly. He has a white ruff now which looks quite impressive. He never had that when he was a baby. I don't think it's uncommon for GCC to have slight changes in coloring as they get older. Mine did, and he's as healthy has a horse.

Just want to add that your baby Bobby is just beautiful!
Aww thanks! I am so in love with the little guy. Can't get over how much he likes to be with me. He is so playful, a huge cuddle bug when he is in the cuddle mood, and also very nippy when he is in a crazy, playful mood. So much fun! And he is an amazing talker already, saying about 20 different words and phrases. My favorite is when I say No Bite and he responds with Kiss, Kiss!

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
My two youngest are five and a half months old, so no molting quite yet. I have only been a conure owner for two years. Our first was found in a parking lot. Owner was never found, so he came to live with us. I never imagined a bird to be so lovable as these three are. (I had three cockatiels, and they had no personality at all.) These guys keep us smiling and laughing. So thankful to have them in our lives.

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
My two youngest are five and a half months old, so no molting quite yet. I have only been a conure owner for two years. Our first was found in a parking lot. Owner was never found, so he came to live with us. I never imagined a bird to be so lovable as these three are. (I had three cockatiels, and they had no personality at all.) These guys keep us smiling and laughing. So thankful to have them in our lives.
Wow, so happy you rescued the little one from the parking lot! So do your 3 conures get along with each other? I agree about the cockatiels. I have had 2 and they were nice birds, but not playful and didn’t seem to enjoy spending time with me. Bobby loves being with me and gets so excited every time he sees me, plus he is good at entertaining himself. We had 2 other names picked out, but when we saw his crazy bobbing head, we just had to name him Bobby! ❤

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Wow, so happy you rescued the little one from the parking lot! So do your 3 conures get along with each other? I agree about the cockatiels. I have had 2 and they were nice birds, but not playful and didn’t seem to enjoy spending time with me. Bobby loves being with me and gets so excited every time he sees me, plus he is good at entertaining himself. We had 2 other names picked out, but when we saw his crazy bobbing head, we just had to name him Bobby! ❤
Hope, Faith and Jesse all get along. They all sleep in the same cage at night, and pester me all day long. I love it!!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Awe!!!!! You guys break my heart!!!! :sad4: Cockatiels do have personalities, whether they are tame or not! They are actually the second species of bird I started keeping. Still have my first cockatiel, she's 18 this year! She's been with me since she was 5 months old. I have had other cockatiels since, off and on and honestly can't imagine living life without one! They can be so cuddly and sweet, or mischievous - in their own little ways! ;)

But I get it... they don't have the personality of a conure that tends to be more rambunctious. Cockatiels may be more like a laid back golden retriever over a conure that might be more like an active lab that needs a job to do and the right kind of training.

As far as the color change molt... I would have honestly expected the colors to the be the opposite... duller as a chick, and more vibrant as an adult... like peach faced lovebirds. As long as he's healthy though, probably nothing to worry about.

All of my conures have been older birds, two easily 10+ years old when I got them, and a few others young adults, but possibly not under a year old, or not by much? And haven't had a yellowsided green cheek so can't say from personal experience.