• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Colony

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Has anyone or does anyone keep Parrotlets in a colony aviary? Meaning just with other P'lets not a mixed species aviary? This also wouldn't be a breeding setup, so no worries about territorial mating behaviors. If you've done this or thought about it, what are some tips? Equal number of males/females? Only one sex? I'm thinking 6x6x7 for the size- surely that's big enoug, yeah? Several feeding/watering stations and perches/toys to avoid territorial behaviors. Let me know what you think.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I keep a colony in aviary a little bigger than your size. I plan to extend it about 40 square feet a so. The birds enjoy it. Breeding has been very tough because of how territorial but plan with the expanded space to have more hides and hope that will help. I have no bald or picked on birds.

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks! I think I'll try it without breeding, as I'm not sure P'lets would work that way. Maybe more passive birds like various grasskeets. Maybe if I get them all as babies and they are introduced to the aviary together, that will further cut down on the possible aggression.