• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Colony of wild Budgie's in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Roelant , the researcher from the University of Leiden befind the Parrot Count, is in S Fl this week to give a lecture at the World Parrot Conference. He took amazing photos of our wild flock of Budgies numbering in the hundreds . Who knew? go to Florida 2011 - a set on Flickr to view the wild budgies

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
The Budgies are on page two

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Thank you---I hadn't realized there was a wild flock

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow t hat is incredible...I also didnt know there was a wild flock.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Man I need to take a trip to Florida. That's awesome.

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Wish I had some of those living in my outside boxes.

ArloDuncan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Steve
Wow I didn't realize there were so many wild colonies of wild parrots in Fl.. Very interesting.

Polytelismedia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Don Kimball
Roelant , the researcher from the University of Leiden befind the Parrot Count, is in S Fl this week to give a lecture at the World Parrot Conference. He took amazing photos of our wild flock of Budgies numbering in the hundreds . Who knew? go to Florida 2011 - a set on Flickr to view the wild budgies
Daria if I was in Florida what would be the best place to see flocks of free flying wild budgies? Here is a flock of wild birds but I filmed these in outback Queensland Australia. For some reason this flock was made up of almost all females. I am perplexed why this might be the case.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I live in South Florida. I have only seen wild quakers (lots) in my area. Never seen the budgies, but I will keep an eye out.:cool:

I did see some Nanday Conures at my school in Sunrise last year.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Wow those are some fantastic photos! I didnt realize there were so many different types of parrot that have established themselves in Florida. It is a wonderful thing to see how they have survived and adapted themselves. The all look like they are thriving.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
When Roelant gave his lecture at the International Parrot Symposium the first week in June, he displayed a lot of his photos of the Budgies taken in the Orlando area . I'll post his website -cityparrots.org- and his email director @cityparrots.org for AA members who want to contact him for the exact spot to see the budgies. I found it very interesting that there are more female budgies in Australia. In Florida, it was the opposite and Roelant found out why. In the area where the Budgies nest there is a huge population of feral cats. The females were taken from their nest. Roelant helped our Floridians cat proof the nests and hopefully this will help. Friday I was leaving a local restaurant and right in the parking lot saw of flock of 20+ amazons in a Casuarina Pine! Too bad Miami doesn't have any Budgies as they are one of my favorites. Also, forgot to mention - All the budgies that Roelant photographed were natural colors. no mutants or hybrids.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That's just amazing, all those parrots living in Florida. One more reason for me to visit this state again :)
Thank you for posting the link to those wonderful photos. I love looking at such photos, free birds! not in cages :(

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Fantastic photos, must have been amazing to see!

Daria if I was in Florida what would be the best place to see flocks of free flying wild budgies? Here is a flock of wild birds but I filmed these in outback Queensland Australia. For some reason this flock was made up of almost all females. I am perplexed why this might be the case.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
When did you go? It might have been breeding season while you were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.