• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Coffee Bean

Christy Cat

Meeting neighbors
So I did it! I am a proud new momma of my own little baby green Quaker. Oddly I got him/her at work. A friend of an office co-worker was rehoming this baby. I'm calling her Coffee Bean. She can already talk, says hello, whatcha doin, and mumbles things I don't understand yet. She's already moving around her cage and is very curious about new things. On a sad note she clipped his wings trying to be helpful ugh! And she REALLY cut them back. . Makes me so heart broken for my baby.

Oh as I'm sitting here writing this my cute little coffee girl is eating her food yay!!!!

Christy Cat

Meeting neighbors
Here's a pic of my little Bean! She's doing pretty well so far, not too afraid of all the noise in my house. I let the dogs in the room while, Bean was in the cage. So far the dogs sniff at the cage a look at it when Bean moves but they're not super interested. Bean doesn't seem afraid at all and seems to like watching the dogs. So far so good, I've got the cats locked in the basement for now. I took Bean out of the cage for a bit this morning so far she's not thrilled with me handling her but she's happy to take treats from me.

IMG_1513621253818.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh man she did cut the flights. Don't expect fast re growth. It can take up to one year. In the meantime do things for you cute bird to keep up muscle strength like giving the bird room for wing flapping and encourage ladder climbing. If you have other pets do not let your bird out if they are in the same room. Your bird is now totally depended upon you for its safety.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a cutie! Congratulations!

Christy Cat

Meeting neighbors
Oh man she did cut the flights. Don't expect fast re growth. It can take up to one year. In the meantime do things for you cute bird to keep up muscle strength like giving the bird room for wing flapping and encourage ladder climbing. If you have other pets do not let your bird out if they are in the same room. Your bird is now totally depended upon you for its safety.
Ya I'm sitting here watching TV with my trusty bad dog/cat squirt gun teaching everyone to not go near the cage!

15136337329886409561169875643659.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Coffee Bean! :)

Goodness, what a cute little face...:heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
It's always nice to welcome another QP to the flock. Great name too-- certainly unique. :) She's settling in quickly, but Coffee Bean probably needs a little more time to get to know you better before she's completely comfortable with being handled. And she'll replace those overly-clipped wing feathers eventually.

Christy Cat

Meeting neighbors
So fun thing happened last night while I was eating. I think it may have been the first time I've been eating where Coffee Bean could see me. She absolutely went nuts running back and forth in in her cage making cute little chirping, mumbling sounds like she was trying to talk. Did not settle till I shared some food with her. I gave her a tiny bit of grilled chicken from my sandwich. I did know that Quakers and other parrots like to eat with their flock but I did not expect her to be quite so demanding about it especially since we have only been together a short time. Although she and I have done some bonding, so far she loves to sit on my shoulder and cuddle against my neck. She makes little kissing noises and will nuzzle my cheek.

She does like to nibble on everything and I'm not certain how much I should allow her to do this as it is my face. I push her gently away from my face and say no bites if she gets close to a sensitive spot. Or tries to steal my earring. I know that her beak is how she explores the world so I don't want to totally stop her but at the same time I don't want her to think my face should be a chew toy either. Wondering what others do how much do you let your babies nibble on you and when do you draw the line?

Also what a good ratios for portions for Quakers I've seen some that say Pellets should make up 60 to 80% of their diets. That seems high, she came with Zupreem pellets (the colorful ones), a seed and dried fruit mix (I can't think of the brand), and a pasta mix you mix with bowling water and serve fresh each day. I don't intend to stick with this diet, I plan to switch to natural Roudybush pellets, as I think I've read they are the best quality? The dried fruit strikes me as being too high in sugar I would prefer to just give fresh fruits. I may feed it to the outside birds who need the sugar for flight and the winter months. Then I'll pick a high quality seed to mix in with foraging toys or as training treats perhaps? I've read that a little apple cider vinegar mixed in their water helps with keeping the water fresh, I change the water and clean the bowl daily so how necessary would the vinegar be?

Anyway all comments and thoughts are appreciated.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats! She's a cutie! Love the name. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She does like to nibble on everything and I'm not certain how much I should allow her to do this as it is my face. I push her gently away from my face and say no bites if she gets close to a sensitive spot. Or tries to steal my earring. I know that her beak is how she explores the world so I don't want to totally stop her but at the same time I don't want her to think my face should be a chew toy either. Wondering what others do how much do you let your babies nibble on you and when do you draw the line?
I've said this before...you should consider your shoulders, neck, head, and face your "personal space" and should teach your bird that it is a forbidden area for them. To me, it's a safety issue, pure and simple.
Birds can be taught the rule, and since Bean is young, I think she'll learn quickly. Every time she comes up on your shoulders or near your face, move her away. There's no need to be negative in doing this...after you move her to where you want her to be, tell her "this is the place to be"...no fuss, no muss, just part of the interaction.

I taught Milton and Buddy about personal space this way, so I know the technique works...

Christy Cat

Meeting neighbors
I've said this before...you should consider your shoulders, neck, head, and face your "personal space" and should teach your bird that it is a forbidden area for them. To me, it's a safety issue, pure and simple.
Birds can be taught the rule, and since Bean is young, I think she'll learn quickly. Every time she comes up on your shoulders or near your face, move her away. There's no need to be negative in doing this...after you move her to where you want her to be, tell her "this is the place to be"...no fuss, no muss, just part of the interaction.

I taught Milton and Buddy about personal space this way, so I know the technique works...
Thanks for the reply! Ya I want to teach her rules before she hits puberty, just trying to work out what those rules need to be!

Another cute story, She was walking around the bottom of her cage yesterday and my lab walked over to sniff her since they where essentially at the same level, and just as I was telling Bela my lab to walk away from the cage, Coffee ran over and made kissing noises towards Bela. She's also starting to explore her cage a bit more, and has started to make a quiet little squawk every time I walk in the room.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Coffee bean is so cute ! When she gets used to her /his surroundings, he/she will be more comfortable with you.Take small steps,as usually Quakers tend to not like changes,It takes them awhile to accept new changes. I bet you will enjoy coffee bean alot,As Quakers are awesome birds,I have 7 Quakers,and they are so entertaining and loving birds,they each have their own personality. Look forward to seeing more pictures and posts of coffee bean.