• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cocoa attacked me again today

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Not at all sure what is in her head. She was fine. On the top of her cage. I gave her dinner. Nothing unusual. The boys were not out. I tried to transfer onto her stick to come to the chair and she refused. Fine. Then she launched on me when I walked away and landed on my head. She bit my head, slipped down to chomp my arm. Grabbed and bit my finger and then flew off onto her stand, turned and did it all again. I don't know if they are attacks or she just panics when she lands on me and is unsteady. Either way it hurts and she chews me up before I can navigate her back to her cage.

I had a doctor's appointment for something else after the last time and my doctor had a fit from all the cuts and bruises (and me on blood thinners). He says the bird should go. I hate to clip her but I wonder first, is she actually a he and should I clip her to stop the launches. It has been about four "attacks" in a month. She will only eat foods other than seed and nuts if hand fed but I can't hand feed her like this.
I am very worried.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry! :hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

And that does sounds like a hormonal male.
When Eloy was attacking me and land on me I just lean forward so he was falling off me.
So stop being so nice, if he attacks you get him off you. And if he still is angry leave the room without showing him emotional and saying something.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Yeah, lurch would get frustrated and bite so I'd just drop my shoulder and he'd slip off and have to fly away. If I knew he was headed at me to do damage I'd duck him and leave him alone till he cooled his jets. I spose if she is really getting out of hand you might have to clip her to protect yourself till she evens out again and that will give you about 6 months to work on it.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Believe me @Eloy
I quietly but earnestly try to get her off but she immediately latches on hard with her beak. Leaning doesn't help. She will hang from her beak, biting me as I lean forward. When I pry her off she just transfers her beak grip to my finger. She is back in her cage now and I know she wants out but I am too exhausted and sore for tonight.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not at all sure what is in her head. She was fine. On the top of her cage. I gave her dinner. Nothing unusual. The boys were not out. I tried to transfer onto her stick to come to the chair and she refused. Fine. Then she launched on me when I walked away and landed on my head. She bit my head, slipped down to chomp my arm. Grabbed and bit my finger and then flew off onto her stand, turned and did it all again. I don't know if they are attacks or she just panics when she lands on me and is unsteady. Either way it hurts and she chews me up before I can navigate her back to her cage.

I had a doctor's appointment for something else after the last time and my doctor had a fit from all the cuts and bruises (and me on blood thinners). He says the bird should go. I hate to clip her but I wonder first, is she actually a he and should I clip her to stop the launches. It has been about four "attacks" in a month. She will only eat foods other than seed and nuts if hand fed but I can't hand feed her like this.
I am very worried.
At this point, I'd clip him/her and get him/her sexed. I still think its an unusual female that does this sort of thing, and this is typically how the attacks from males go. Unless you get one that holds on tight and grinds their beak in. They can do either.
If this were my bird, I'd give ourselves a little break from each other. Just don't handle him for a couple months if you can avoid it. Clip the most distal 3 primaries and see if that helps. If not, clip the next two. If that doesn't help, I probably would not clip anymore because 5 feathers on each side is plenty to ground most amazons and cutting more won't stop them from jumping. Cage him for a few days and offer treats between the cage bars if he's willing to take them without being nasty. Then, just let him out and avoid him. See if he'll go back in the cage on his own. I always do the major feeding of seeds and pellets at the end of the day so if that is his favorite and you let his bowl go empty during the day, he'll be highly motivated to go back in his cage when you feed. Also, with my own birds, I've found if they are picky about eating their veggies, its because I'm offering too many seeds and pellets. I feed them an amount such that their bowl is empty a few hours before bedtime. Actually, I usually feed seed and pellets in the evening and the bowl is mostly empty by morning. Then they have the rest of the day to look at their fresh food, because they aren't getting seed or pellets again until right before bedtime. It eliminates a lot of pickiness.
You also might want to check his weight. Amazons can be hormonal any time but being fat tends to just make hormones worse IMO. Most hormone issues work themselves out after a few months assuming the owner isn't continuously reinforcing bad behavior by allowing attacks to happen. If you must, just cage him and leave him for a couple weeks to reset his behavior. Each time he attacks you, it makes it more likely he'll do it again.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Thanks so much @melissasparrots
I felt guilty caging her so I am glad you said that. I am going to get a vet appointment next week and get a clip and dna test. She needs a beak trim too, which we had planned. The vet actually wanted to clip her as she was vitamin deficient when I got her and the vet didn't want her banging into things as my house is small. I am really curious to see if she is "Mr Cocoa" after all

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret and MC have light clips. I can't imagine allowing flying attacks. You have to take care of you also.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh geeze Lori, @Lwalker I'm so sorry, it sounds like that really hurt, and I can't imagine having this happen. Thank goodness we have folks here who give great advice and help. And you know we're rooting for you and hoping these bites heal soon, and become a thing of the past - FAST! Hope the vet trip goes well, please keep us posted?